Nugget Shooter Forums

Diamonds / Meteor Crater area

Sarge, people have been picking up pieces of canyon diablo for well over one hundred years...I think any diamonds of size or quanity from that area would be difficult to keep secret...there are micro-diamonds in the meteorites found there and lots of graphite inclusions, so, I suppose the possibility of some larger diamonds may be there...

if the guy had diamonds that he found they could be from an undisclosed kimberlite pipe in that area...who can say?

There is a legend of a rich source of diamonds found and lost near Las Vegas and between El Centro and San Diego....all within reach of any jackass prospector based in Arizona.

Fred

Just something I'm passing along. Thought it would be something to keep in mind if you are searching the general area. Read somewhere in a odd report the larger diamonds were found on the canyon rim in that slate-like stuff. Not something that was broadcast for obvious reasons.

And I was just offering my not so humble opinion for s&giggles...

you are a wealth of treasure hunting lore, I would love to sit around a campfire and pick your brain...TH-ing is something I have always been interested in but lack the required follow through...

I suspect to have had some interesting successes and wisely keep your own confidence...

Fred

Hi Frank,

I had kicked around that area some years ago. At the time, I don't think anyone knew about diamonds in the meteorites. That whole part of the state is a checkerboard of alternating State and Private sections of land with the Navajo Reservation only two and a half miles north of Two Guns, making travel "interesting". It is still a very interesting area. Thanks for posting the story, that's great.

Ben

Fred

My head is full of useless knowledge. I was following up on something else and ran into a report to Tiffanys from a German firm (way back when) on just this issue. Tiffany wanted to design some jewelry with the diamonds from the meteor and requested a study. So this tells me there is some truth to the incident. It's funny but you start out looking for something else and stumble on things like this. I'm here in Pa. and I have not a clue about the ground out that way. You guys know more than I ever will about that area. So I pass on a tidbit here and there in case someone has a interest. Here in Pa. I'm hot on several interesting things. But you need to do your homework first and not run wild. I started some files on AZ info as I may be moving out that way when I retire. Fred when I do get out that way you are more than welcome to go on a jaunt. Research is the key and lots of it. It can take you in a direction after things you never suspected existed. Besides, I can't stay around the house. I drive my Wife nuts. A good example. Today I went outside and found a Elderberry tree. I picked a large bowl and brought them into the kitchen to wash them off. Just at that moment someone called to talk about some lost gold in Pa. My wife goes into the kitchen and starts screaming. The Elderberry's were full of bugs and they were all over the kitchen. Well I guess she does not want berrys on her ice cream. I was up in Canada last weekend helping a friend with a special project. My Wife had a smile on her face as I went out the door. Though she did give me a list of stuff to bring back from the duty free store. :tisc-tisc:

Sarge;

any time you get here I will be ready...I expect to retire In March of 09, if not sooner...then everyday will be like Roger's; Saturday.

Your post got me curious so I did a little google and scanned through several articles related to the Meteor Crater and diamonds...aside from numerous references to micro diamonds there was another citation...Russian scientists at the Popigari Crater reputably found a new diamond type they named Lonsdaleite...some of these crystals were up to 1/2 inch in size...so, perhaps the old guy was finding meteorite diamonds on the plains around the Meteor Crater.

thanks for the interesting thread.

Fred

You see Fred, this is how it starts. You are on your way.

Everyone remember / The larger diamonds were not found in the meteor but the slate like material. (so they say)

Hi guys, haven't been keeping up on this post but I came across this in Harvey Niningers book "A Comet Strikes The Earth" and it mentions diamonds in meteorites. Just thought you would all be interested.

Del

Canyon_Diablo_Diamonds.pdf

I don't doubt there's been very small industrial diamonds found in Meteor Crater specimens. I question why and how in the world would someone try and extract those diamonds which for all practical purposes would have been worthless? The story makes no sense. Simply too many question marks. :hmmmmmm: :twocents:

Steve

Diamonds start burning at about 1560 degrees. Now there's a thought. How hot is a meteor crashing to earth.

Hello all,

I was reading these posts and remembered a Meteorite from the Arizona crater I purchased at this years Tucson show.

I just finished taking these photos for you all to look at. They are to say the least...interesting to look at.

While in Tucson Ruben took a quick look at the meteorite right before I purchased it and was going to take a closer look because of what we had seen. We ran out of time on that trip.

Ruben, maybe next time your in the area would it be possible for you to take a closer look at it for me?

Good hunting to you all!!

Dean

CANYONDIABLO005.jpg

CANYONDIABLO006.jpg

CANYONDIABLO008.jpg

CANYONDIABLO010.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone:

I have been working for several years on diamond ore associations with meteorite impacts. While there are examples of micro diamonds found inside of meteorites themselves, commercial ores contain diamonds from sources that were formed deep within the Earth. In some cases, an impact cratering event can bring these deep diamonds to the surface. Basically, the large impacts that create large (10 mile+) diameter craters, cause a brief overpressure on the crust and subsequently opens numerous deep fissures that allow for the pressurized kimberlite or related diamond bearing rocks to burst through to the surface. Most of the world's most productive diamond mines are located near large impact craters. The best example I can give is the numerous mines in South Africa that were developed near the crater ring structures of the Vredefort impact.

The impact at Canyon Diablo didn't have the energy required to force eruption of the uppermost mantle through the crust. I wouldn't think that there is much potential to discover a diamond ore source related to the Meteor Crater in Arizona.

Sincerely,

ASTROBLEME