Nugget Shooter Forums

AZ Mukluk Weather Nugget

Yo All...Finally! The heat took a friggin' break today...High 90's - Low 100's ... So after a business meeting this morning, I beat feeted it out to a new spot I've been eye-ballin'....Takes quite a ride to get to it, but I've been studying it hard on Google earth...Just looked good...The ground seems a little deep so I decided to try the Coiltek Wallaby Mono (17" E) ... I've found a few dinks with it in the past and a butt-load of deep trash ... In fact, my second target today was a tin can down over three feet ... But on the other side of the little flat wash area, I found my first target, this real purty specie...A bit shy of one ounce ... It was down about 14 inches, and the Wallaby on my old reliable SD2100 heard it loud and clear right from the surface....My problem with it, as you can see, is that it's got a solid layer of caliche on the back side ... I've been soaking it in both CLR and Limeaway all after noon without much success...It went from .83 oz to .80 ... Not much luck...This speci is really shot through with lots of gold and I have a suspision that the best display of gold is right under the caliche...Also tried vinegar which did absolutely nothing ... Maybe an overnight soak will bring results...If anyone's got any secrets on dissolving the caliche, let me know.....I know lots of guys like to keep the nuggets natural as found, but not me...I like to see the gold...I've got a yard full of caliche I can look at any old time... :laught16: ...Hope it stays chilly... :icon_mrgreen: ...Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

post-9-1214435478_thumb.jpg

post-9-1214435509_thumb.jpg

post-9-1214435530_thumb.jpg

post-9-1214435552_thumb.jpg

post-9-1214435576_thumb.jpg

post-9-1214435597_thumb.jpg

Guest goldstudmuffin

Hi Uncle Ron,

Very nice... use some nitric acid on it... it will take the caliche off with no problem and not eat the quartz. Can't wait to see it all cleaned up!

Nice one Ron, congrats!

Hey how do you go about doing your research if you don't mind me asking? I've been trying to learn how to research gold spots out here in California and Google Earth seems like it's a very useful tool to use. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Del

Uncle Ron I think you've got it covered if the CLR has the same ingredients as Lime Away, I soaked in Lime Away for 2 days to remove all the caliche from my magnetic gold specemin. I've also used Muratic Acid to dissolve caliche.

And again a beautiful find you have made there.

Hapy Huntn.

Yo All...I used hydrochloric diluted on it and it is amazing...It's like it fell off the vein into the forming caliche...Very delicate and chrystaline...I've had a couple of tiny bits just fall off...Almost like I used hydrofleuric acid on it...Pics in a bit...Cheers, Unc

Hi Ron:

Another fantastic find!!!! Congratulations!!! :whoopie: :wubu: If you can't remove the caliche with acid, see if you can find someone with a small hobby type sandblaster. They use these for gently removing matrix from fossils and should work great on your specimen. I don't know if the acids will work on caliche but HF will work on quartz and enhance the overall appearance of the specimen.

Steve

WOWSA WOWSA WOWSA :whoopie: :whoopie: :whoopie:

Super nice Ron, bet there is more where that come from. The old Minelabs are great for finding that big deep stuff. :wink2: