Nugget Shooter Forums

Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites

I just got my copy of the Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites by O. Richard Norton and Lawrence Chitwood from Amazon. I had to wait a few months since it hadn't been released yet, but it looks like the wait was worth it.

A lot of nice color pictures and it looks packed full of information that I think will help find meteorites. Perhaps this will replace Rocks From Space? :shrug: I'm in the middle of reading another book right now so after I'm done I'll start reading it. Since it's to darn hot to be out there hunting I'm considering summertime "R&R time" (read and research time). Also have a lot of things to take care of that I've put off for months since I've been out hunting almost every weekend since September. Responsibility sucks... it gets in the way of my space rock hunting! :grrr01:

Quickly thumbing though it I noticed on page 55 Jim Smallers name is mentioned for data provided about the Franconia Strewnfield, also one of Sonny Clary's Franconia area finds is in there and it looks like there's a decent amount of information about the Gold Basin strewnfield too so I'm sure John Blennarts name is in there somewhere (of course Jim Kriegh was in it).

Gotta say congrats guys! It's cool to see people who regularly post on this forum mentioned in one of Richard Nortons books. You all definitely earned it! :yourock:

Del

PS- I was just thumbing through it again and I noticed a mention of the Nuggetshooter website on page 199 for information on metal detectors and hunting. Way to go Bill!

Hi Roger and Fred, yeah I think Amazon restocked them five minutes after I posted that. I'm not big on book plugs but I feel anything that can help get people get started in this hobby is worth mentioning on the forum. Thanks for the feedback.

Del

Del, I ordered mine too. It looks from the brief pages on the web that it is a revised edition of Rocks from Space. But at least updated. Thanks for the heads up...Jason :;):

Naw Jason, it's a new book though I'm sure it has a lot of the same information Rocks From Space has. It looks like it has been updated since a lot of siginificant meteorite finds have happened since 1998 when the 2nd edition was released. It also looks like the target audience for this book are guys like you and I, the weekend meteorite hunters.

Del

Hi All,

Hey this gives me an idea for the new edition in a couple of years from now.

I would like to have my name in it!

Guess I have to be the first finding a Lunar!

Hm...that is an idea! :-)

Or a rare meteorite!

But then I am also only a weekend meteorite huntress.

Happy hunting,

Moni

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I thought I'd join the "summer book club" too. I just recieved my copy of "the field guide to meteors and meteorites". Amazon was fast on the shipping and it looks like it's gonna be a great read.

Thanks for the recommend, Ben

I got mine only a few days after I ordered...the cover is almost worth the price...almost...

I would love to have a copy of the cover without the printing.

So far, I see some redundancies with Mr Norton's two other books but that is to be expected in this type of book. I think the Photos will be useful to many. I was surprised that Mr B was not mentioned in the credits as co-discoverer of the GB strewn field...

All in all there will be much of the technical stuff that will flow through my eyes and out to the ether but other info will stay rattling about in my calcified little brain...

A very fine addition to my meteorite book collection.

Fred

Hi Fred,

I found what you were talking about on page 183, third paragraph, first and second sentances. Mr. B is mentioned but, only Jim Kreigh is given discovery credit. Well at least they spelled his name right.............I think................of course, it would have been nice to have a picture in the book with "THE pointy finger" and all.

Nuff said, Ben

I wanted to see a picture of that mini outing we had in the book.

Where Jim brought the potatos and Stan brought

steak and lobster and my dad brought the pack of Budweiser

and you guys got smashed and all started telling different stories

at once while I watched 3 or 4 meteors streak in and become

meteorites...

Long day's search+Beer+Fire+Food+good old BS-ing = Meteorite hunting

I wanted to see a picture of that mini outing we had in the book.

Where Jim brought the potatos and Stan brought

steak and lobster and my dad brought the pack of Budweiser

and you guys got smashed and all started telling different stories

at once while I watched 3 or 4 meteors streak in and become

meteorites...

Long day's search+Beer+Fire+Food+good old BS-ing = Meteorite hunting

Yeah Erik that was a fun time!

.... nice book huh guys? I love all the COLOR pictures! I have yet to read it because I've been busy with a lot of other things (just finished building a computer). I'll probably read it in a few months to get me pumped up and ready for the season.

Del

• 2 months later...

Hi guys and the occasional doll;

In this book there is a procedure shown for testing meteorites for nickel. The sources for the chemical are also given. The problem is that dimethylgloxime is a controlled substance and can only be shipped to authorized institutions...I may belong in one but I ain't one...anybody know where to get some of this...I am in the San diego area if anyone has some, or a land-based source that I can go to...

Thanks

Fred

Hi guys and the occasional doll;

In this book there is a procedure shown for testing meteorites for nickel. The sources for the chemical are also given. The problem is that dimethylgloxime is a controlled substance and can only be shipped to authorized institutions...I may belong in one but I ain't one...anybody know where to get some of this...I am in the San diego area if anyone has some, or a land-based source that I can go to...

Thanks

Fred

Didn't want this question to disappear yet...

Hi Fred, I really wish I could help you out here but I just don't know since I've never had to test for nickel. I've read on other forums there is a nickel test kit called Allertest you can use but it isn't the most accurate way to test for nickel. Hope this helps.

Del

Thanks Del...when you get to the end of the book you will see why I need this chemical...I guess Mr Norton didn't check before he gave these sources.

Jonno and Kat; I am good, thanks. I see you are still busy and here in the USA...I hear those silly gallahs calling you. (some kind of parrot-y pest)

Hopefully we can meet up in Gold Basin or at the Azo outing in Feb...

Fred

• 2 months later...

Hi Del!

I have the Rocks from Space...wished now i would have bought the Field guide to Meteors and Meteorites. Which do you all think is the best one? By the sound of it, seems like the the Field guide is the best?

Trish, you didn't ask me but...in my opinion they are too different to rate as best...

however for a general layperson understanding the Rocks from Space is the better choice. For a handbook of what to do and how to do it, the Meteors and Meteorites is best. They are not so expensive that you can't have both...pass up the starbucks once a day for two months and they are paid for with change to boot.

fred