Nugget Shooter Forums

chimny gold

Just have question on hard rock chimney deposits? Was talking to an old prospector friend of the famly he has a mine and had found a chimney with lots of small nuggets all thru it after a depth of 20 feet it shot off in several directions in small stringers with many small nuggets then pinched off or was lost. Would it be a good idea to keep digging strait down? could it have hit a small fault line and moved to the side a few feet? he has found a few rich pieces of float down away from chimney a few hundred feet away that could not have eroded from chimney. i think the chimney keeps going down and is feeding the other stringer vains on this hill what do you guys think?

I believe there are several varibles to you question. On the surface as all as the wall rock is stable going down on it is one option provided that the material holds. As with many chimney's they have a tendency to splinter and follow the cracks in the host rock. Hope this helps.

Ol'29er

An old timer once told me, {he hit a really rich chimne on the American river} that usally{not always but usally} within 33 ft down, the will be another spoy in the chimney loaded with gold, sometimes richer than the first. Grubstake

An old timer once told me, {he hit a really rich chimne on the American river} that usally{not always but usally} within 33 ft down, the will be another spoy in the chimney loaded with gold, sometimes richer than the first. Grubstake

This is referred to as "pocket gold" and sometimes involves three pockets. The first pocket is usually on or near the surface and is rather small . The second pocket will be about 30-50 ft below the first pocket and will be much richer. The third pocket will be 30-50 below the second pocket and will be even richer then the second one. I have yet to meet someone who has actually found a pocket and everything I mentioned comes from reading various books on mining. It's also known as "the three pocket theory".

Steve

Well the old man that told me the same thing, found one, on the American river, his name was Howard Anderson, he was a Dozer operator on the old American river Dam project, he cut threw a pocket{stove pipe he called it, saw what he did, stoped the dozer, He sai they picked up serveral 5 gallon buckets full of cystaline gold out of the top pocket. Later they found the bedrock was too rotten for the KEYWAY to the dam, the project was stopped, he staked a claim and built a small cabin on the hill, he worked it by hand for years. I saw the gold from the first pocket, and some from the secound. He figured he pushed alot of the first pocket over the edge of the clift, I think he did too. He let a friend and me work there for two summers, we got some pretty nice gold, all cystaline, down off the sides of the bank where he hit the first pocket with the dozer. Grubstake This was back in the early 70's Howard was old and I'm sure he's dead by now, he was in his late 60's back then.

All the gold was christalline in nature with a few large multi ounce pockets but no pics for proof so dont know how much he really found we all know how storys can go also mine has been back filled the mine is somewhere in the bradshaw mountain range. but if there is a possable 2 more large pockets may be worth digging.

boulder dash,In most cases that three pocket thing is mostly nonsense as far I can tell.Some mines and some gold districts pockets occur in similar happening geology,such as a fault,cutters intersecting the vein,a change in width,a curve,a dike,contacts of different country rock etc.You may want to sample if possible and read reports of other mines in the area.If the access is good for you and your adventurous by all means go for it.Since gold was found there previously........it might....it's possible it'll make again............Dave :confused0013:

ol'29'er,

Hi Bob, I'm glad your feeling better and back on the road to recovery. Is there a book on "hard rock mining for dummies" that you would reccomend? I need to start learning the terms so I have an idea of what your saying when we're sitting around the fire this fall.

terry :icon_mrgreen:

Mr wiseman is right.That hole 3 poket thing is BS.it is were it is.Any number of thing could be going on.Hell just because you have gold in a vein does not mean in 2 feet it will be there.The vein or the gold.The only thing i have seen that has held some truth is the spots of manganise get more abundent just before the pocket {Like 7 ft}But that was Nor Cal :twocents:

Well it may be a load of BS, but I did see the gold old Howard had, and know he was the operator of the dozer, on that job. But I never saw the pocket with my own eyes, olny the gold that came out of it. Grubstake

What I'm trying to say is that the conditions for chimneys,pockets,ore shoots,kidneys are usually unique to that mine or diggings and perhaps to a mining district.Gold being a mysterious and funny thing seems to follow it's own laws of nature. :laught16:

Your Right Dave, but I'll tell you, that stuff was sure pretty, it looked like coral from th sea, the way it was all crystalized together. Never seen anything like before of since either. Grubstake

Gary,I'm sure you saw the yellow and what the fellow said was true.My point being that all these situations are different.How many times is a pocket found and a vein pinches out,where are the other two pockets,besides the empty ones of most prospectors.Most oldtimers who worked in a highgrade gold mine would tell you that if such and such occurs they know the chances are good for a pocket.They've seen this before in that mine,on that vein,but not always and surely not in every mine or prospect hole.Did G-D make up this three pocket deal?Just going by what I've heard, read and seen..........Dave :hmmmmmm:

Not sure who you mean by G-D Dave. I personally don't know a thing about pocket hunting, just going by what I've been told and seen. You know its kind of like the lost Dutchman mine in AZ. Was it real? a ledgen yes, he had the gold, but Where did it really come from? I don't think it will ever be answered to everyones satisfaction. Grubstake

Dave

Glad you got that myth out of the way. :laught16:

No two veins,deposits,or lodes are the same . I know

an old feller that hit a pocket close the surface,and

made a pretty good chunk of cash. Well he believed

in the three pocket theory too. When he died ,he had

a 500 foot shaft and was using his pension check for

supplies. He would hit just enough color on the vein

to keep his hopes up,and never found another pocket. :Huh_anim]:

There has been mines on hydrothermal deposits,

that have hit large pockets in twos and threes,but it is

not common enough to be the norm.

If there is more pockets ,they could be off to the

side in any direction,and not below.

That pizza must have been terrible,if you have to

use Dcon to get the mouse to eat it. :laught16: :laught16:

Wes,that is some nice stuff.Do you do much hard rocking?......Gary,G-D is dog turned around(God)............Greg,it was a frozen pizza and I could immediately tell if the bite was on by the missing chunk of pepperoni,easier to see than those small d-con pellets.........For the few fellows that PM'ED me,no I haven't been out digging in months.....lack of ambition,health and my young partner is busy dredging,relic hunting,bum back,family stuff.Kind of lost without the sampling quartz veins and as the old story goes........my girlfriend ran off with my best friend.......and I sure do miss him................Dave :laught16:

Thanks Dave, Wish I could say I knew more about pocket hunting . Got lucky with this one, and just beeped it up and kept on diggin . It was a learning experience. Pretty different digging on a seam compared to the placer nuggets I was used too. Just wish it kept on going deeper but it fizzled out.

ol'29'er,

Hi Bob, I'm glad your feeling better and back on the road to recovery. Is there a book on "hard rock mining for dummies" that you would reccomend? I need to start learning the terms so I have an idea of what your saying when we're sitting around the fire this fall.

terry :icon_mrgreen:

tee Bee,

Therre are 2 books that were written be Jack Douglas that are very good for understanding both hard rock and placer.

1. GOLD IN LODE

2. GOLD IN PLACER

I believe they both are back in print.

Ol'29er

Read the BOOK by Verne Ballantyne titles HOW TO PROSPECT FOR POCKET GOLD. Excellent reading and yes pocket gold has a propensity to form in 3 pockets-GENERAL RULE- not absolute every time. Burt Clark outta Mariposa spent over 70+ years hard rocking and I heard him tell and showed us many MANY dozens of pounds of pocket gold. In Mariposa county their is a considerable amount. Up the 49er in the motherlode too. RIGHTEOUS pic of true pocket gold. In 82 I blew up a huge deposit because of my own stupidity. Black rusty junk I'd blasted down to. Went to mariposa with a couple a pinches in a empty cig pak. Ate beer & pizza when a old walking sourdough came in. Freezing rain and we were alone. I told him my tale of woe-spent all my dough and dynamite looking for that gold. He laughed and said let me see-he dumped it in a pan and got some bleach outta his backpak--poured it in the pan and in a minute-PURE GOLD!! :Huh_anim]: 2nd and 3rd and sometimes more are usually extremely oxide coating-some iron and zinc mostly. I blew that darn gold over a HUGE area in a vertical canyon!!! Don't be so dismissive---there is some righteous info that crosses this forum(junk too) There you go-sometimes the truth hurts BUT I never blew anything up since----and bleach is a must for mining hardrock too!!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Thanks to John Hoser Oates, OL'29er and Dave Wiseman for the info on the books, this will give me something to read over the HOT summer.

Dave - to bad about your best friend :laught16:

Terry :icon_mrgreen:

Wes,you can go to Ted Scott's site, goldplacer.com and I've a sampling paper there or get a copy of the mining journal issue where Reno Chris(Chris Ralph) has a similar article,I'd answer any ???? you may have on quartz sampling that I can.Alot less competion doing that than beeping and if your very persistant and lucky enough you'll get your pockets.......Has anyone ever read a state or federal gov't mining report,geology book etc. where it's mentioned that pockets of gold come in three's???.....I'm sure it's happened and perhaps still does under certain conditions ,rarely though and by no means it's a steadfast rule of mining...........if one has a spot that might produce more gold and the access is free and clear,by all means get out your #2/backhoe whatever.Perhaps there won't be two more pockets,maybe one or lot's of mill rock and occasional nice species...........Dave

Most pockets found above ground are the result of the vain matter eroding upon it's self and enriching the ground in that spot.

This takes millions of years to happen and usually thousands of tons of rock have to erode to have a large pocket forum.

I my opinion the three pocket theory is a bunch of B.S. I have never herd of or found any pockets in threes other that in Verne H. Ballantynes book and in one mine up Nourth.

Most experiences I have had go something like this.

We would find a pocket on the surface and take out some money.

Then we would take are money and invest it in the hole only to spend it on digging up ore that barely paid to mill or looking for a pay shoot that wasn't there.

In the right geologic structure there have been mines that make pockets in threes. One of these mines is in N. California It has three cutter vains that bump into a large vain and they produce pockets on all three cutter vains at the same levels in the mine.

There is also a mine in Downeyville CA.called the Triple Pocket.

Have fun out there,Matt