Nugget Shooter Forums

Holbrook June 7/8

The need to get out and hunt overpowered us, so on Saturday we made the drive up to Holbrook. By the time we got there, we only had about four hours to hit it before the sun went down. No problem - right away I found the first one, then Erik found one, then I found one on the way over to see the one that Erik found...... Day One: I found two, Erik found three. Time to fuel-up at Aliberto's Mexican Food in Holbrook! It was much hotter on Sunday, in the mid-nineties - very hot for the high plains but, still a lot cooler than it was back home in Phoenix. There was a lot of flattened-down grass from recent high winds, that covered the ground and made it much harder to eyeball any stones. We really covered a lot of ground and went over the entire field till we were satisfied that we had found everything there. Day Two: I only found one, Erik (who was now on a roll) found eleven! One of the pieces that he found was cracked into fragments in the sand, in situ. Another large chunk that he found, managed to break up inside his pocket - Aah! Mine weighed 5.25, 1.95, and 1.3 grams. Erik's weighed 6.0, 2.4, 1, 1, 0.8, 1.5, 0.8, 0.8, 0.9, 0.4, 0.3, 0.4, 0.3, 0.2, and 1.7 grams. My total:8.5 grams, Erik's total: 18.3 grams. (My three are the ones above the scale cube in the "totals photo") Not too shabby for a weekend trip, and the multiple finds helped take the sting out of the $142 in gasoline for the trip. Ben

P6080002.jpg

P6080005.jpg

P6080004.jpg

P6120010.jpg

Ben & Erik's Total Finds

Aloha guys,

Nice finds for so short a period! Gosh Erik you ook as if you are asking yourself "Is that all there is out there?" in that one pic of you standing looking at your hand. Dont fret there are always more to be found. $142 in gas!!!! ZOIKS!!!

And people wonder why I havnt been to Franconia for so long a period. Them ghost towns north of Vegas looked pretty good pickings at these gas prices. Got me a load of wheaties, a couple of nice indian head pennies and even a trade dollar that I am having checked into by a numismatic friend of mine here in Vegas. Still looking for a gold coin tho or even some nice silver coin caches but none so far. Sure looks like times were pretty tough for someone to ber saving so many pennies at one point.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

thats funny cause im all tense like that from crouching to look under

bushes and riding the quad.

Yeah at $40 to $50 a gram i can live with bunny turd size meteorites haha.

Finds are finds though, even if you find pocket change lol, your going to need

every nickle to get to work.

[Erik]

Hi Dean, Stan, Wayne, and Del,

Thanks for the compliments. Now I've gotta find a cooler place to hunt till October. Does anyone know how to sign up for one of those meteorite hunts in Antarctica? It's like somewhere between 112 and 115 degrees here today - supposed to tie or exceed the record for this date. Wheew! It was SO hot today, that I saw two fire plugs fighting over a dog! I think I'll be relic hunting up in the pines when I can get out of this oven again.

Ben

Hi Dean, Stan, Wayne, and Del,

Thanks for the compliments. Now I've gotta find a cooler place to hunt till October. Does anyone know how to sign up for one of those meteorite hunts in Antarctica? It's like somewhere between 112 and 115 degrees here today - supposed to tie or exceed the record for this date. Wheew! It was SO hot today, that I saw two fire plugs fighting over a dog! I think I'll be relic hunting up in the pines when I can get out of this oven again.

Ben

Ben,

Two fireplugs fighting over a dog eh! Thats a good one. :laught16:

I know exactly what you mean about the heat. Been doing desert tours here in Vegas until a week ago. Just cant take the heat anymore.

Been having very good results relic hunting for a change from hunting meteorites north of vegas in a couple of the older towns. May keep on doing this until september when it cools off again.

Keep up the good work on finding them little ones. good training for nabbing them big ones later.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi