Nugget Shooter Forums
Bunk

Gun Safes for metel detectors

Anyone use these to keep your detectors from walking off? Also, where do you get one at a good price? How big do you need?

Bunk

Bunk,

I find alot of good priced things on the net at "craigslist-phoenix". Good place to sell also.

Terry :icon_mrgreen:

No one but me and my wife, in my house. Don't need a gun safe. MR. Glock watches them pretty good. When out in the feild, I also have mine where I can see at all times, and MR. Glock is also there. Grubstake

Bunk,

The question is rather wide open............is it for your trailer? house? camper? :innocent0009:

Is the safe to keep people honest & kids out ? - - - in otherwords a light steel lock box

Or the monster weighs a ton , and would take a safe cracker to get into?

wonderer

Grubstake, Mr Glock must feel naked without its two buddies (two clips) :laught16: I couldn't help myself.....

Hi Bunk...I've used two of the big gun safes for about 30 years now....their about the size of

refrigerators and I always put them in the garage and they have holes in the floor so you can bolt

them to the garage floor....the good ones are pricey but the things they you can stuff in them and the

peace of mind is worth the bucks....if you get one be sure to also buy the electric de-humidifier

to put inside to keep the moisture down.

I still have both of the safes in my sons barage...that's where several of the Glock family lives...also

some of the neighbors are S&W....then the original owners were the Browning family from Belguim...

and their still there....they don't mind sharing realistate with a few old coins that I've dug over the

years (several 100)....plus a few very nice nuggets.....good luck...

Wonderer, I still have two of my 10 rounders left, but they are lonesome. Soon they will have company. Grubstake

Bunk,

The question is rather wide open............is it for your trailer? house? camper? :innocent0009:

Is the safe to keep people honest & kids out ? - - - in otherwords a light steel lock box

Or the monster weighs a ton , and would take a safe cracker to get into?

wonderer

Grubstake, Mr Glock must feel naked without its two buddies (two clips) :laught16: I couldn't help myself.....

Steve, This will be for my new house in Riverside,AZ. As I am working shift work at the mine and am gone at all hours of the day and night I need to be able to keep not just my detectors but other valubles secure. I have been working on this place for the last 3 months and just got moved in last week.

The last 2 days have been the first time I have been able to relax since I started this project, this house is 100 years old and nobody has lived in it for 15 years, quite a job!

Bunk

Try Costco if close by. I've seen them there, a lot less cost than a gun store.

They should call them fire safes. Just because its heavy does not indicate it's hard to enter. I do it all the time for the drug task force. Each safe has a time limit on how long it would take a pro to enter them. A normal bank vault is about 8 hours.

They do keep out the normal thief. Just don't have tools handy in the garage or house that can be used to enter the safe. :innocent0009:

Two weeks ago I looked into a burglary at a jewelers home. Just some jewelry laying about turned up missing. He showed me a small safe in a closet where he kept the good stuff. He pointed out that he attached it to the floor with lug bolts. I pointed out to him that I could walk off with his $500000.00 in jewelry with a simple crow bar. I told him it would take me about 30 seconds to pry his small safe off the floor. I also pointed out that even if he used full length bolts with nuts and washers the Sawzall he had in the garage would make short work of his handy work.

Bunk,

Some times old town bisnesses have big safes that you can get for a song, just for the taking.............

Might take a tow truck to get it to your house though......and you would need a concrete floor to take the weight, and attach down

As suggested Costco, Carabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse or a lockshop (might have new and used ones)..

wonderer

Micro Nugget, (on the post underneath this) Great idea :hmmmmmm:

Concealment also ranks way up there as a way to safeguard your goodies. Example: An old, worn out water heater in the 40 to 50 gallon range, with a few modifications, can be converted into a fairly sturdy and hard to spot (at least for the typical burglar) "safe." Especially if you wrap it with a thermal insulation blanket and lead the non-functional pipes into a wall void.

Just a word if anyone thinks the safe will actually protect guns, jewellery or paper in a fire...I inspected many properties here in san Diego County after the Cedar Fire; we saw many "fire-safes" that had some very nice melted/burned guns and ashes from important papers still in them...just because the safe is fireproof does not mean that it won't transfer heat...

Fred

As a gunsmith, I can tell you that even if a fireproof safe protects the guns etc, they always come out badly rusted from the moisture (steam) created by the water being put on the fire to extinguish it. If your just looking to protect from theft, a good safe properly secured will keep most of the druggies looking for a quick buck from getting your goodies, but a professional will get into them. Home owners insurance or renters insurance along with pictures and receipts from the purchase works well if you get your stuff stolen. False walls work if skillfully done. Good neighbors who watch and a warm gun are your friends also.

Good hunting, John K