Nugget Shooter Forums

3500 and Gold Basin

I think my 3500 has a intermittent defect...perhaps some of you good people can give me guidance...

Every time I have been to Gold Basin with my 3500 I have a problem that seems to get worse the longer I use the detector.

When I first start the machine seems stable and as it should be...after a while I will start getting occasional random signals that will even be somewhat repeatable...then I will get a tremendous warbling, berserko signal like I am standing over a huge power line or transformer...the only way to calm that pyscho-signal is to hit the retune button- some time that works-...after this happens a few times the whole thing is impossible to put up with and I have to take a break.

So do you think it is me, the machine or can it really be that bad at Gold basin??? I do have some of these problems at Franconia but not like Gold Basin...maybe I should send it to the Doctor for a check up...........

Fred

Fred I used to re tune the 3500 every 30 minutes or so when out there,It is a good practice to get into also let the machine run for 15 min before tuning,There seemed to be a warm up time,Good luck out there and this should eliminate that problem.

Fred that's exactly why I moved up to the 4000! My normal gold detecting area lies between an Air Force Base and a Navy Base and the interference from the planes drove me nuts.

I'm willing to bet out at Gold Basin it has something to do with the fact that you have helicopters flying over every 15 minutes to land and fuel up.

Just my :twocents:

Fred, I'm glad you mentioned this. My older model GP Extreme acted something like yours when I was at Gold Basin -- especially when the search coil was operated parallel to a sloped surface. All kinds of warbles and such. Very weird.

Thanks guys...

I know that radio interference is always a problem at Gold basin, my GpX suffered a bit at Gb and down around Yuma...especially when the air traffic picked up....but it would settle down when the planes passed. The same with my 3500 at Franconia, occassional erratic signals but they would settle down or I could retune and ease the problem.

I quess I could take a day trip and see if the same thing occurs in some other area (thinking on the forum to myself) but I have to suspect there is more than interference involved...dang, 30 bucks to ship it to Minelab...100 bucks to drive to Yuma and back...UPs is looking better...

any body else with an opinion???

Fred

Fred,

My Extreme is doing the same thing. Went berserk at R.P. and I couldn't do anything with it. Tried everthing just like you, but nothing worked. Gave up and brought out my GB2. Got back home and fiddled some more, and was intermittent again. Called M/L and sent it in last week. Waiting for them to call and tell me if it's good or bad. You have to have some place to start from to troubleshoot, thought that would be the first thing to eliminate. Like you, I need to find out if it's me or the machine. At any rate I'll post again when I find out.

Oh yeah, $52 from Ore. w/insurance...... :Huh_anim]:

Chris

Fred are you using GpX to describe the GP Extreme or did you get a GPX-4000?

It's funny because I did the same thing with my 3500, I sent it in to Minelab and they told me it was ok... a waste of $.

I learned with the 3500 if you have a lot of air traffic overhead you will have to put up with interference. Hopefully it doesn't last to long (I was waiting up to 30 seconds for it to clear on mine).

Del, GP extreme...should not have been so lazy...

Chris, I will be eagerly awaiting you news...this is much more than a few seconds of warbling interference....tracking intermittent problems are the worst thing...it is much easier when something just breaks...

Fred

Hi Fred I had the same problems out that way with my gp extreme and some with my 4000 :tisc-tisc: ---the best thing I found that worked was try a smaller mono coil or use a DD coil :twocents: --Mike C... :ph34r2:

I was having a similar problem sometimes and found out that most of the time it went away when I turned my cell phone off...Cheers, Ron

According to Reg Sniff it is due to electro magnetic interference from the Dam...It pulses as well and that is why it is so hard to stay in tune and some times of the day are worse than others.

Bill

Fred,

Just got a call from M/L and they said the D-133 diode was open causing the instability. They replaced it and tested it in their field, and I guess it works like gangbusters again. The really good news......no charge!! :whoopie: Being shipped back today.

Chris