Nugget Shooter Forums

Note To Self--Don't Park Over The Nuggets

Yo All...After having such a good time on Friday finding those big nuggets, :icon_mrgreen: I took the weekend off of prospecting...This morning, though, I got up bright and early and headed back out...I followed the long trail into the old drywashers' camp intent on raking some tailings...As usual the gnats were horrid an so I sprayed myself down with some foul stuff guaranteed the keep gnats away...They loved it...So on went the surgical mask again and I started my hunt...Tailing pile after tailing pile was worked and raked for nothing but a few boot tacks, some wire and rusty bits...The gnats were intensifying and I was getting frustrated...The temp hit 100 and my power cord developed a very irratating sqwauk... :headphones: I hiked back to my quad to get a drink and douse myself with more stinky crap...The hike to the quad was only a little longer because I'd parked it about 25 feet away from where I parked the other two hunts here...After getting watered and sprayed, I started back toward the tailing area, but was slowly beeping the flats where I'd parked before...I got a deep soft sounding signal right exactly where I'd parked...I started digging and went deeper and deeper til the target was screaming...I figured I'd found a can, but then I hit caliche down about 14 inches--and the target was out of the hole, still screaming--I halfed the material down with my scoop and then I saw it--Gold...Turned out to be this solid sluggy half-ounce-plus (16.6 grams) beauty--Free range, wild gold nugget, never been tamed by no drywasher...

After my usual half hour of dancing around and taking a bunch of phone camera pix, I started hunting again--Not six feet away, I got an identical signal, dug down about 10 inches, hit the caliche, and there was the other little beauty--3.8 grams with a bit of nice quartz...Brings my total on this patch to 1.8 ounces for 5 nuggets--Can't wait to get back out again...Here's some photos--a bunch--This kind o'fun don't happen that often--Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

post-9-1212449923_thumb.jpg

post-9-1212450062_thumb.jpg

post-9-1212450086_thumb.jpg

post-9-1212450118_thumb.jpg

post-9-1212450175_thumb.jpg

post-9-1212450211_thumb.jpg

post-9-1212450253_thumb.jpg

Another nice one Ron :icon_mrgreen: I guess if I was findin hunks like that I would brave the furnace :innocent0009: buttt the dinks just ain't worth it for me to sweat my ass off any more :tisc-tisc: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

holy smokes that is a nice area you found yourself.I always move the truck and hit were i had parked.Sometimes it pays off.Good for you.Guess the suffering of bugs and heat pay,s off :woohoo:

UNC RON,Thems some good lookin pieces of yeller metal thats you have found the last couple times out. I'm still using My ole fibber glass NF elip. Yess its beat up also,but gets the job dun. A couple thousand bucks and all the nats you can eat. Not bad for a couple days work with the 2100. Keep um comming in.

Harry

Hi Harry...Yep, mine's from the very first shipment of Nuggetfinders into the US...Got if from Bill, and it's paid for itself many, many times over...Everytime I think it's gone south I find that it's something else in the circuit...That ol' fibreglass baby just keeps kicking them out...Found me 2.5 ozt in the past month...Can't beat it...Cheers, Unc

:laught16: I always seem to find the best gold under my tailing piles when I dredge. No matter how careful we are-mother natures loves a good joke--or is that peters principal. You nuggets are stunning and that patch should still be a lot a fun!! Tons a au 2 u2 -John

Guest Potholes Bob-NM

Congrats Ron!

When I was heavy into dry washing in the CA Potholes, I would often encounter caliche that was as hard as concrete, I mean, my "special" needle nosed all steel full sized pick wouldn't even dent it!

I often wished that I could get a compressed air jack hammer to get underneath this clay, as I dreamed that there just might be a whole new world of nuggets beneath this layer?

Has anyone working a rich and proven area actually tried this?

The area that I did best in was about 800 feet away from the All American Canal, and I was just thinking that I should have tried building a coffer around a test patch of caliche, and flooded it with water to turn that clay into mud. Never occurred to me at the time, to try this :grrr01:

Haven't been out prospecting due to the gas prices, but next season, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get out there...LOL!

Cheers!

Bob

29 prospector is big on busting up caliche to get to good gold. search out some of his stories on goldplacer.com

While 29er and I were working one of his seams we used an electric jack hammer powered by my Honda generator. The extra weight of it was okay as long as you didn't have to hoist it up very often. There was a particularly hard cemented caliche -- not exactly a "layer" -- but more of a conglomeration of cobbles, rocks and clay interlaced with extremely hard caliche. He called it "the hump". Using sledges, wedges and Hermit picks took way too much energy for the amount of pay recovered. We got some awfully pretty gold out of that hard pack before the seam pinched out. The gold was right in with the caliche so we raked off a layer after jack hammering for a while to form a terrace from which to hammer the next layer. This way, our feet ground down and crunched the material we had raked off before running it through the dry washers. I'm sure we missed some gold because it was impossible without heavier equipment to completely bust up those tough, resilient dirt balls. Finally, beneath the caliche layer (which ran 6 or 8 feet below the prevailing surface) we dug an exploratory hole. There was a softish clay layer and in it we found next to nothing. When he gets better (and he is getting better, but it will take a lot of physical therapy to get back in shape) one of the things he wants to do is revisit that site and relocate another portion of the seam.

That story is a good one for everyone! I remember once I followed some atv tracks out at Franconia and on the right side of where it was parked right next to two camel cigarette butts I found a nice size chondrite and a little farther away I found two small irons. Guess whoever drove out there just didn't think to hunt next to his parking spot.

I guess now everyone is going to follow your lead and even detect under the spots they stop for lunch breaks. :laught16:

Aloha and keep on beeping,

Stan aka Kaimi