Nugget Shooter Forums

Ankle Biters

Howdy Gang, well the one day I get to go detecting and probably the last before the heat sets in and I had a nice little run in with an ankle biter :yikes::yikes: . Taken totally off guard, this "little" :laught16: guy must have eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner. It totally had the jump on me if it wanted too. I thought I was ready for the snake season, but instead I high-tailed it outta there and didn't look back. Actually I looked all around and them some...Oh, well I guess I'll have to wait until October or stick to dry lakes. Jason :;):

snake1jun08Franconia.jpg

Hey Jayray,

Yeah, they're definately out there at this time of year. Don't let that put a damper on your hunting though, just get yourself a set of snake gaiters like we wear. You can get the good ones at Cabelas. Seems like I always run into them from about 4:00 AM to 9:00 AM. We just give them a wide berth and work around them. After all, they're just trying to make a living in a tough neighborhood. If I can step around a cluster of Cholla, I can step around a sidewinder. Making finds isn't affected by snake encounters. In fact, it's part of recounting the day's adventures over a cold one back at camp.....Whooeee, shouldda seen the size of that thing!. Nice picture Jayray. For all you do, this Bud's for you!

Cheers, Ben

Ben, it's just as easy to sit home in the AC and think about meteorites then be out there, with the price of gas too :innocent0009: . I do have a set of gator guardz but really felt exposed. It's one thing to detect, but another to detect and snake spot too. Depending on the place, I like to most fast to cover lots of ground, you really can't do that having to watch for snakes. This gives me more time playing with my other hobbies...too many hobbies, not enough money, err time I guess too :laught16: . (Amateur radio and Astronomy) Jason :;):

Aloha Jayray,

Yep that is one nice size ankle biter! :Huh_anim]:

I guess common sense takes over and one just gives it up to the snakes whenever you hunt alone. Better safe than sorry I say! :smrt1:

I have seen more snakes in the past couple of weeks than I have for the past couple of years. What gives?

Gonna really start thinkng hard about hunting alone in the future at this rate.

Aloha and Be Safe Out There People,

Stan aka Kaimi

Ben, it's just as easy to sit home in the AC and think about meteorites then be out there, with the price of gas too :innocent0009: . I do have a set of gator guardz but really felt exposed. It's one thing to detect, but another to detect and snake spot too. Depending on the place, I like to most fast to cover lots of ground, you really can't do that having to watch for snakes. This gives me more time playing with my other hobbies...too many hobbies, not enough money, err time I guess too :laught16: . (Amateur radio and Astronomy) Jason :;):

I know what you mean Jayray, I always take my wife and three children with me, 4 months, 4 years, and 12, years old, and I always worry about the snakes biting one of them. My 12 year old daughter almost stepped on this snake when we were out at a Nevada ghost mine:

post-4900-1212421407_thumb.png

Right after I good this photo, we were talking back towards our truck and spotted another one. Its hard to relax and enjoy the scenery under such circumstances.

Sure is a meaty fella, Just wondering if he was guarding the main mass of one of those franconias :tisc-tisc: :confused0013:

Take care, Jeff.

Bob, that's scary stuff alright!!! I was going to take my son with me but decided against it for the same reason Kami stated, hunting alone and far from any real definitive care, no thanks. I don't mind waiting until the fall...

Sonny, yeah I'd be fixing the steps too...holy moly I didn't realize they would be that close to town.

Jason :;):