Nugget Shooter Forums

Uncle Marvin, Fred AN Jeff

Uncle Marvin and I had the oppertunity to spend a few days at Gold Basin and meet up with some of the aquaintances we've been chatting with on Nuggetshooter.

A Great time was had by all I believe, and Uncle Marvin did come thru with a guided tour of some productive hunting ground. I'll post a couple pics of my cache 134+ GRAMS, and tell you one of our guests to North West Arizonas Gold Basin "Topped the List" in my opinion with a tremendous find :confused0013: :innocent0009: :icon_mrgreen: :laught16:

I won't dare spoil the party, but instead wait for him to post about his visit with Uncle Marv and I.

Sincerly enjoyed meeting up and telling tales around the campfire, an a few GOOD laughs with Fred Mason AN his long time buddy Jeff, and I hope they enjoyed their visit and come back to see us again, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat Both my buddy Scott an myself had some great company and fun this week.

Hurry up an post a picture and some details of that BAD PUPPY you came across Fred. I can't wait to see it again.

I attempted a cut and polish to one of my finds and it worked out rather well . They're suitable for jewerly or display pieces.

GBCUTANDWHOLE007.jpg

Oh sorry ,forgot to introduce Uncle Marvin, well here he is with the "GOODS".

GBCUTANDWHOLE002.jpg

Hello Frank,

Just a note to say thanks for a great trip. A special thank you for the GMT tips. I know they will pay off on my summer trip to the Klamath River area. Fred uses the computer at his office so you will hear from him on Monday. I am sure he will post a pic or two of his finds.

Thanks again, Jeff

Frank,

Glad to see that you got that GMT perking right along. Some real nice finds there. Hope to see you posting some Franconia finds when it cools off down there.

Jim

Aloha,

Awsome finds from Gold Basin guys. Glad to see GB is still producing. Just finished a project with an old friend of mine up north and hope to get out to search some meteorites soon.

Keep up the good work and can hardly wait to see Freds pics.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Frank,

Great finds! Sounds like you guys had a blast. I bet freds pics will be great as well. Congrats on the great finds!

I have owned my GMT since Jan of this year and was hunting with it for meteorites in Fast Auto Trac mode. I was still messing with the manual and still was managing to find siderites with it. I was lucky enough to have been given hands on training by Ruben Garcia while in Tucson. Man what a huge difference it made after that lesson! I am still learning my GMT and can now tell the difference between foil, wire, cans and of course meteorites.

Dean

Nice finds there guys!!! Sounds like good times with good people and having fun is what this hobby is all about. :cool: Congrats to everyone!!

Fred,

Glad to see that you had a very successful trip. Those are some really nice finds, a nice addition to your meteorite poke. Frank filled me in this evening at our MPA meeting about your GB excursion and showed me the piece that he sliced. I pointed out an armored chondrule that he had not noticed, it is on the smaller of the 2 slices, top of picture, hard to see. just look for a small circle of nickel/iron.

Jim

Hey, Jim...I sure wish we could do some hunting together...

Why do you suppose the big difference in weathering between the big one and the little one? The little one was in the bottom of the big wash up on the middle-high part; the big one was on the edge of a ridge just off a road...the big one is much more rusty and cracked than any of the few others I have found...

enquiring minds want to know.......

Fred

I'M going to take an :laught16: (educated guess) :laught16: at this , irrelavent to the location they are found in I'm thinking the condition of the pieces before any weathering started was a bearing factor, and the size of each in comparasion.

So we could have a larger piece which susstained damage (fractures, cracks) before weathering started, and also a larger piece has more area and surface so it stands to reason that it can be broken down more easily than a small piece when exposed to the elements.

:coffeetime: :confused0013: :innocent0009:

Hey, Jim...I sure wish we could do some hunting together...

Why do you suppose the big difference in weathering between the big one and the little one? The little one was in the bottom of the big wash up on the middle-high part; the big one was on the edge of a ridge just off a road...the big one is much more rusty and cracked than any of the few others I have found...

enquiring minds want to know.......

Fred

Fred,

I would imagine that there are a number of factors that determine how fast a meteorite will weather.

Groundwater, temperature and drainage are 3 main factors. 2 pieces of the same meteorite could be only a few yards from each other and be subjected to different extremes of those factors and they will weather at different rates. Soil that has good drainage, will preserve a meteorite much longer than soil that retains moisture. Larger chondrites that are sitting on highly alkaline soil and are exposed to extreme temperature changes, seem to crack apart,(salt wedge), (frost wedge) etc....

This link explains quite a bit about chemical and physical weathering. Keep in mind that the chemical composition of the soil at GB changes from one spot to another. Dust that blows in from the Red lake area is concentrated is some areas more so than others.

http://www.mhhe.com/earthsci/geology/mcconnell/wss/cw.htm

Here is a link to some highly weathered chondrites, including a few from Gold Basin.

http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/2003/jul03.htm

:twocents:

Jim