Nugget Shooter Forums

Open dig holes

I went for a stroll the other day and was appalled of what I saw.

Open dig holes everywhere. I took 85 pictures on a 1/2 hr walk of open holes and trash.

The guys that are doing this are giving us a bad name.

Then they wonder why areas get closed down to detecting.

Here are just a few:

post-1220-1211840127_thumb.jpg

post-1220-1211840159_thumb.jpg

post-1220-1211840263_thumb.jpg

post-1220-1211840296_thumb.jpg

post-1220-1211840424_thumb.jpg

post-1220-1211840501_thumb.jpg

That' A fact. Thanks alan for posting and putting your two cents in. It doesn't take any more effort to fill in the hole then it does to dig it. Those who can do, those who can't should stay home. no need to put bad names on good gold hunters. :twocents: Brock

I just returned from a weekend hunt where I found a huge Kelly Co box ( if this dosen't give our hobby of metal detecting a bad name ) not to mention the numerous dig holes and trash!

The Kelly Co box will surely bring attention!

If I had been close to my truck I would have picked it up and thrown it for the guy who left it! Next outing to the area I will grab it.

Dean

On Saturday I came upon an interesting tributary wash and found that someone had left a butt load of plastic buckets and plastic drop cloth apparently for an old dry washing operation. I could tell it had been there for a while because everything was dry rotted.

edoseal2000

I think anyone who follows gold forums has an idea of who the folks are

who can't be bothered to care for anyone else but themselves.

It doesn't surprise me.

Lotsa luck,

Pretty tantalizing words.

To everyone who does fill their holes,

Thank you,

you've probably saved me a broken leg at the very least.

Flak

I could add a few names to the list of "pro's" that I have followed, filling in their holes.. They seem to be proud of the ankle breakers and tortoise traps they leave. It gives us all a bad name.

It is a lot harder to dig a hole than fill it. I use a Hermit Pick mostly. Once the target has been extracted it takes hardly any effort at all either to push or pull the pile back down into the hole with the broad scraper portion of the hermit Pick. There is a side benefit to this: the loose soil thus created will afford to a native plant seedling a rooting opportunity. In addition to unfilled holes an even greater travesty is the flagrant uprooting of desert species such as creosote plants that take decades to grow. When the greenies point to such unnecessary damage being done by irresponsible individual prospectors to the desert landscape, it takes little imagination to foresee the hostile, negative reaction of the BLM or Forest Service to all of us as a group.

It is a lot harder to dig a hole than fill it. I use a Hermit Pick mostly. Once the target has been extracted it takes hardly any effort at all either to push or pull the pile back down into the hole with the broad scraper portion of the hermit Pick. There is a side benefit to this: the loose soil thus created will afford to a native plant seedling a rooting opportunity. In addition to unfilled holes an even greater travesty is the flagrant uprooting of desert species such as creosote plants that take decades to grow. When the greenies point to such unnecessary damage being done by irresponsible individual prospectors to the desert landscape, it takes little imagination to foresee the hostile, negative reaction of the BLM or Forest Service to all of us as a group.

Very nicely put!!!

THANKS!!