Nugget Shooter Forums

A little help here.

Are these oolitic stones, or could they be meteorites? The first is littered with chondrules, and is slightly magnetic. The second is highly magnetic, and littered with olivine. The 'veins' look like dirt in this picture, but through the loupe they are actually green and yellowish-orange olivine.

2008_05240028.jpg

2008_05240068.jpg

Rocco

Hi Rocco,

I can see round chondrules in the photos. Have you done a nickel test on them? Have you sent these in for testing yet?

Ben

No nickel test, con't have a kit, but I am sending these for testing sometime this week.

No nickel test, con't have a kit, but I am sending these for testing sometime this week.

Daniel (Rocco) Your specimens are interesting. Do a density test on them. Here's how (again).

1- record the weight of the specimen

2 - record the weight of the specimen while it is submerged in water. You do this by hanging it from your scale with a hook and tread. You can make the hook from a wire coathanger. Remember to subtract the weight of the hook and thread from the submerged weight of the specimen.

3 - Subtract the submerged weight of the specimen from the dry weight of the specimen.

4 - Divide that number into the dry weight of the specimen for the "Density value".

http://www.meteorites.wustl.edu/id/density.htm

Jim

do you have an over all pic of it? with something for scale too? like a quarter.

They are both between 10 and 12g, I didn't take a picture of them with my scale cube, but I did take some up close, over-all pics for you.

Olivine2.jpg

Oolitic1.jpg

I will try a density test when I have time, but the oolitic stone with all the 'chondrules' isn't very heavy, the one with the visible single chondrule and olivine is pretty heavy.

Rocco

Rocco, as with most pictures it's pretty hard to tell if what you have are meteorites, but from the looks of the second picture, I would venture to say not. As I enlarged the second picture, I noticed what looks like a piece of quartz looking material (below your thumb). Granted I'm no expert, and don't claim to be one, but I think you have a natural piece of earth stone. Just my opinion, and :twocents: Jason :;):