Nugget Shooter Forums

Today's Little San Domingo Space Rock

First space rock I've found in this area. Showed it to Bill and we reckon it is most likely part of the Trilby find. Picked it up roughly a mile east & north of the recorded Trilby location.

33.1 grams

Lou

LSD-M1-5-24-08b.jpg. .LSD-M2-5-24-08b.jpg

Aloha,

Great find! Hope you find more pieces before they are all snached up.

Good luck out there.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Had my brain in backwards when posting the rock. :outtahere: Should have read approx. a mile WEST & North of the recorded Trilby fall. Found out I already caused some hunters to spend the day yesterday in the wrong area...

So, what if they had found another piece out that way and expanded the field? i bet they wouldn't be so sore about it then.

Man, the weather was gorgeous out there today.

That area has been smashed! nugget hunters have hit a good 60% of the area.

They did miss alot of targets though.

happy hunting =]

[Erik]

Really nice find :whoopie: :whoopie: While there's a high probablilty it could be part of the Trilby Wash find, there's also a possiblity it could be an entirely different one. I just think in any given 1 square mile area in the desert, there's bound to be at least one or two meteorites in that section.

Steve

Erik, was great hooking up with you and your dad. Look forward to doing it again.

Steve, you sure could be right. If I find another piece in the area I'll certainly consider sending a piece in to be sliced and diced, etc.

Lou

in any given 1 square mile area in the desert,

Steve

I did a little math to get a rough idea how long it might take to detect a one square mile area. Assuming you had properly gridded area and had a six foot swing- you would have to walk 880 miles in order to cover a one square mile area with a detector. :hmmmmmm: :Huh_anim]: That's an awful lot of miles if you think about it. That doesn't include specking- just the actual detecting itself. Assuming you could detect fifteen miles a day, it would take 58 days to cover a one square mile area.

Since no one actually grids a square mile area- is it any wonder why meteorites are still being found at Franconia and Gold Basin?

Steve

My dad grids sometimes at franconia. thats how he gets the sub gram chondrites.

I would do that all the time too but i need one of those stock coils for my gmt to pick up

the small chondrites. But i like the Sierra Goldmax because you have more depth

and you can cover more ground.

[Erik]