Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Basaltgooroo

Good Score At Franconia

Here is a slide show of our trip to franconia.

It was so hot that when we got home we cooled off

by opening the oven door....

The rest of the story my dad can add in when im

at work. Here are the the pics and the slide show.

Enjoi them, and i'll add the pic of my 2 gram iron in

later.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/phx...nt=f8f3097a.pbw

2-7.jpg

Ben's In Hand

3-6.jpg

Ben holding find

4-6.jpg

Ben's Insitu

6-6.jpg

Baby Tortoise

5a.jpg

Casa de Tortugita

7-5.jpg

Erik's insitu [hell yeah]

8-5.jpg

Erik's insitu close up

9-5.jpg

150 gram snake insitu

1-9.jpg

Erik's on the left, Ben's on the right.

[Erik]

Very Nice Day Boys, good pics,

Hapy Huntn

Verrry nice Erik and Ben

WoW again :whoopie: Saw the moisture on your shirt Ben. That same day I also had the bandana out to keep the river off my glasses. Could you possibly cube the Sidewinder for size next time. :laught16::laught16:

Great finds.

Wayne

Aloha,

You guys never cease to amaze me with your finds. :wubu:

BTW, if you can weigh the snake then yes you should have cubed it for size comparison. :Huh_anim]:

Been really busy hunting ghosttowns north of vegas but will soon be out hunting for spacerocks again.

Aloha and keep up the great finds.

Stan aka Kaimi

Saw most of these on SkyRock, congrats guys! I will definately link up with you guys if i'm ever out that way, you can show me how it's done right!

Rocco

Wayne,

Yeah, it was a tad warm and that was at 9:00 AM. I don't need to scale-cube the sidewinder, because I've already done it in one of our posts from a night-hunt last year. (neener, neener) This one was nestled right into the very center of the wash in order to intercept anything traveling up or down-stream. As always, eyes sharp The real nutbuster about this hunt is that only a half hour after my find (65.4 grams), the battery to my SD2100 died and I had to hike several miles back to the truck for a back-up detector. Then, hiking several miles back, I returned with extra water. It was real good timing - Erik was now out of water, and getting ready to carve up a barrel cactus for the core. The total number of miles that I put in that first day really surprised me. Oh ibuprofen!!! Oh yeah, and then about 1:00 in the afternoon, I'm like real had, and I just sat under the relative shade of an ocotillo, and Erik sets his pack down and starts to walk over to an area where he thinks he'd like to detect. Well, he never got his detector turned on because he walks right up on this hundred-and-ninety-something gram chunk, which he eyeballs right on the surface! Dang! Needless to say, That sort of revived both of us. Sunday was hotter, and neither of us got our coils over any more chondrites. Oh well, next trip.

Ben

Ben & Eric,

Nice finds and as always good storys and super pictures. Yes, it is starting to heat up down there, I hunted the north side on the 17th and it was quite hot. The weeds were well dried up and easy mowing with the 14" coil. I managed 2 chondrites and some irons, largest chondrite was 62 grams.

The pickings down low are getting pretty slim. That sidewinder looks familiar, they really like to hunker down in those washes.

Jim

holbrook!

Ben and Erik,

Well done yet again!! Awesome pictures as well.

I was out hunting this weekend and I thought it was hot in the mountains here in New Mexico. I am not going to gripe about the heat anymore after reading your post. All I need is a neck shade and all will be well for the hunts. Freezing my water bottles I take has made a big difference after all the miles of hiking and detecting.

I have not run into any snakes yet but I,m sure they are lurking near by. Good hunting to you both.

Dean

Hey Jim,

That mower of yours, is it the 14" N.F. Mono? If you ever get tired of the extra weight, I'd be glad to take it off your hands.........................

Ben

Hey Jim,

That mower of yours, is it the 14" N.F. Mono? If you ever get tired of the extra weight, I'd be glad to take it off your hands.........................

Ben

Ben,

Yes, it is the 14" N.F. E-Mono. My favorite coil by far. I have used the 9" N.F. E-Mono on several occasions, it is deadly on those little irons, but doesn't cover much ground. The 14" finds them so small that I really would not be interested in anything smaller. Will keep you in mind if I ever tire of the darn thing......... :brows:

Jim

Aloha guys,

Jim, speaking of large coils! Havnt even used the stock coil on my GMT for almost 7 months now. Once I got the new goldmax sierra back from Whites I have been out hunting old homesites and ghosttowns with some great results. Thanks for pounding it into me to use the BIG coil.

May get back to hunting Franconia soon once I can afford it. Just having way too much fun hunting them old sites and finding stuff left behind by others.

Ben and Erik,

You guys never cease to amaze me with your finds. WHAT A TEAM!

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Way to go guys, you definately earned those! :yourock:

Hey Ben, I'm gonna hound you about getting a 7" x 14" NF E-mono Coil. I'll tell you after following Jims advice about getting one a while back (thanks Jim!) I couldn't imagine using anything else for hunting meteorites. I've found sub gram chondrites with mine, the smallest being 0.12 (Gold Basin) and 0.15 (Franconia) grams. Picking them up this small is enough proof for me that the NF 7" x 14" E-mono coils are PERFECT for meteorite hunting. They cover alot of ground, get decent depth, and are very sensitive to small chondrites.

The extra weight is no problem at all, though I would suggest using some sort of bungee cord system so you can swing all day long with no fatigue.

I know the coil is a little pricey, but trust me it's well worth it. Let's put it this way- it's the Sierra Gold Max coil for PI's! :;):

Del

PS- Sorry for tha shameless product plug... but thats a darn good coil and I'd recomend it to anybody swinging a PI!

Ben & Erik,

That's good stuff! Love the photo's, keep it up! I hear that snake can be tastey if prepared properly :chowtime:

Jim K

Ben & Erik,

That's good stuff! Love the photo's, keep it up! I hear that snake can be tastey if prepared properly :chowtime:

Jim K

Jim K.

By the time you remove the skin, head, tail, entrails and bones on one of those sidewinders, there is about enough meat left for one tiny appetizer, if prepared properly. :laught16:

Here are a couple web sites that have good recipes for cooking rattlesnake.

http://www.sizzlersranch.com/rattlesnake-meat

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/ysnake.html

Jim

Hi Jim and everyone,

this is sad to think you want to eat them.

I remember living in Escondido and the CCC members catching rattle snakes and skinning them to make belts out of them. And once my girlfriend came along with me to the CCCcamp and she was in a photography class and the CCCmembers had snakes in baskets and boxes.

They were all curled up and she took lots of pictures of them.

I saw a sidewinder last October on a meteorite hunting trip.

It was the first and once I saw two garter snakes. Very skinny and long.

I also saw a green Mojave in Nevada once and I ran!

That is enough snakes for me!

Thanks and don't eat them,

nor shoot them!!!!

I heard some one doing that at Franconia too!

Hunt for meteorites instead!

Regards,

Moni

Moni,

I totally respect your opinion and you are entitled to it. However I do not see what is sad about eating rattlesnake as it is no different than eating chicken, beef, fish, venison, buffalo, snails, lobster, quail, rabbit, etc, etc.

I wear a leather belt, leather shoes and wool clothing, my eating habits are considered omnivorous, I do respect those that wear polyester and cotton clothing and have herbivorous eating habits.

Personally, I only hunt for meteorites at Franconia and have side stepped quite a few rattlesnakes while doing so. If I should have a hankering to go rattlesnake hunting, the area between Kingman and Gold Basin has an abundance of nice plump western diamondbacks and they are probably much better eating than those at Franconia.

What I think is sad, are those that kill something just for the thrill of it or because they do not like it.

:hmmmmmm: Now, Flys, Sketters and Knats are another matter.

I wish you good luck in your meteorite hunting endeavors.....

Jim

Hi Jim,

of course you can eat them. :-)

Like you said, that is my opinion and every one is entitled to theirs.

I agree with you though, as long as you eat them and not kill them for the fun of it.

So it sounds you have hunted and eaten them before?

Guess if I were stranded meteorite hunting and ran out of food, I mean really stranded for a week and someone would prepare the snake for me, I might give it a try.

Until then I make a huge circle around them. :-)

Good luck and happy hunting,

stay safe out there.

Regards,

Moni

I wouldn't shrivel up and impload without meat....

When i was out at franconia this last trip, this lizzard kept following me.

He would get up on rocks and do push ups to mark his territory or something.

Kinda reminded me of the weight room during football season.....

We tried hunting L's but that didn't turn out so well =/

Eric, I didn't think any meteorite was safe from you...

Eating rattlesnake is kind if like eating chicken necks-without the skin- lots of bone, a little stringy meat, more work than it is worth and the coating you roll them in is the best part. I used to hunt aload of rattlers in april when I lived in lakeside, san diego county....we would have a snake fry...I would not bother now. live and let live

Fred

Eric, I didn't think any meteorite was safe from you...

Eating rattlesnake is kind if like eating chicken necks-without the skin- lots of bone, a little stringy meat, more work than it is worth and the coating you roll them in is the best part. I used to hunt aload of rattlers in april when I lived in lakeside, san diego county....we would have a snake fry...I would not bother now. live and let live

Fred

G'Day Fred

I wondered why your chilli tasted so good now I know :laught16:

Verrry nice Erik and Ben

WoW again :whoopie: Saw the moisture on your shirt Ben. That same day I also had the bandana out to keep the river off my glasses. Could you possibly cube the Sidewinder for size next time. :laught16::laught16:

Great finds.

Wayne

5-1.jpg