Nugget Shooter Forums

Indiana Finds

Hello All

Michael sent me this email from Indiana. Does anyone have an opinion on finds & geology in his area?

Thanks, Wayne

Hi,

I found you on the internet and was hoping you could tell me what type of meteorites these are I recently found and how much they might be worth. I found them while digging holes to plant trees in Indiana, USA, all in a small area about 30 X 30. I think they have been buried for at least a thousand of years.

meteorite-1 weighs 4 pounds and is 7 1/2"X4"X3".

meteorite-2 weighs 5.5 pounds and is 8"X4 1/2"X4"

meteorite-3 weighs 2.5 pounds and is 6 1/2"X4"X2 3/4"

meteorite-4 weighs 2 pounds and is 4 3/4"X3 1/2"X3 3/8"

Thanks very much. I look forward in hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Michael Matherly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Ben

Alot of new people in the Meteorite field. I have given them the forum URL's and hope they will reply so we can get more feed back. I thought this interesting as well. I willl be waiting for your next finds as well.

Wayne

Wayne, really hard to tell from pics, but the last one looks like obsidian to me. I'm no geologist, nor an expert on meteorites either, but just an educated guess. Jason :;):

Hi Jason

Odd I just added a piece to my wife's collection that looks just like these. Hopefully he will get back to the forum with better pics and a window filed into it and the geology will tell the rest. Sure is interesting though.

Congrats on the retirement. I thought you were only about 25 years old :laught16::laught16:

Go figure from an old guy!! :Huh_anim]: Whats up with the School and the next occupation??

Moved to Chloride and first day found a coin with the bounty hunter discrim machine. Sure have missed it over the year hunting meteorites. Check out the finds.

All the best to you

Wayne

http://meteoritesrock.com/

Hi Jason

Odd I just added a piece to my wife's collection that looks just like these. Hopefully he will get back to the forum with better pics and a window filed into it and the geology will tell the rest. Sure is interesting though.

Congrats on the retirement. I thought you were only about 25 years old :laught16::laught16:

Go figure from an old guy!! :Huh_anim]: Whats up with the School and the next occupation??

Moved to Chloride and first day found a coin with the bounty hunter discrim machine. Sure have missed it over the year hunting meteorites. Check out the finds.

All the best to you

Wayne

http://meteoritesrock.com/

Wayne,

Those 4 rocks look mighty terrestrial to me, so I am going out on a limb and say that they are meteor-wrongs.

Be careful with the artifact hunting in Chloride, 3 people ticketed in the past 4 years and there are a number of residents that have had to run detector toting tourists off their property. I have no trespassing signs on my property out there and that still does not keep them out.

Jim

Aloha,

Odd looking rocks for sure. Cant wait for a window to see what the inside looks like.

BTW, funny that Wayne should mention hunting in chloride. I met someone a couple of months ago who has a lot of property out there and he and his wife go relic hunting all the time. I got invited just by chance and finally took them up on their offer to check out some old mining camp sites. I still cant believe that they didnt check the walls around the fireplace area. They will be checking them now for sure. Got me a small jar of coins, mostly wheaties but one nice silver dollar that I am having cleaned by a friend in the numismatic club.

Sure looking forward to getting back in the field to hunt for meteorites though.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hi Jim

Thanks for you opinion on the pics. Also the heads up on the Chloride hunting. Its good to refresh the rules of the field now and then. I have been staying here for 7 years and have permission from owners to hunt on private property. This is a must have in all subdivisions. The antiquities act is a major factor on State and Federal lands as well. Fines and even jail time for the second offense. Two law enforcement officers lost thier quads awhile back hunting artifacts. Those quads are now in the hands of search and rescue. The rule was I believe 65 years or older. (Do not touch) Probably older now. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.!!! Only a matter of time on (You know what rocks).

When in doubt spend lots of money on maps, ink and information. :laught16:

I had a very good :laught16: watching surveyors scratching thier heads in town the other day. :confused0092: They may never get Chloride in order.

Wayne :escape:

Sorry I messed up on the picutres from Indiana. Try this agian.

Wayne

The small postage stamp size is too small to get a good look. See if he will take a picture of one stone outside in daylight and hopefully getting a good close up. When he sends the picture to you, ask him to share it at about 500 or 600 on the height. Otherwise, I would refer him the Washington University site so he can do some comparison with their info to the pieces he has in his hand.

Mike in CO

Hi Mike

Hopefully the new people will come on line and add more input. We just had a move and a very good friend passed away here in Chloride yesterday. Right now I do not have the time to spend with the new people on line. I do apoligize.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I've hunted the Indiana area and have never seen anything like these specimens. Although they do resemble some slag that I have found. I would like to see the inside of the specimen and also possibly do a density test. They do attract a magnet?

Jim :icon1: