Nugget Shooter Forums

29er Survives Marathon Surgery

I just received the first report regarding our friend and prospecting partner, Bob Dunkin. All of your prayers and good thoughts have been answered. The ol 29er made it through 11 grueling hours of back surgery that fused 7 vertebrae. The lead surgeon said he has not seen many backs as ruined as Bob's. He had to remove "cement-like" scar tissue (his words, not mine) that apparently were the aftermath of way too many pain injections over the years. They removed a great number of bone spurs and used every bit of them over again by grinding them into a powder, then using the powdered spurs as a kind of filler (same DNA, no rejection problems). Also some new type of re-circulation technique of Bob's blood was employed -- very state of the art.

Bob is not expected to regain consciousness until sometime tomorrow morning and will not be able to take calls right away. More updates later. But let me tell you, this is one tough dude who has been chasing the yellow metal every year since his father first took him down a mine shaft on his birthday when he turned 6. Thanks for being there with him in spirit. I know he will appreciate all the concerned thoughts that have been expressed on this forum. He can't wait to get back in action and that will be his reward for gutting this out.

Tell him Grubstake gives him a BIG thumbs up, I had 5 vertabrea fused back in 95, due to a trucking accident. They were in my neck, but I know what the next year holds for him. Lots of hard work and getting back what you lost, is very hard. Grubstake

hello micro, ive been out of the loop i guess. this is the first iv'e heard about bob. italked with bob on the phone several months back and we met at the pcsc meeting when he was the guest speaker. what a great guy, and what a rivitting life story he shared. i can listen to that man for hours. i am so glad hes going to get through this. he's too big of an asset to this hobby, & to this world in general to lose. ty for the info & please keep us posted on his condition diggetdawg. ( ruben prozman.)

Hello Micro....Thanks for the Update...He's in Gods hands and I am sure He'll Mend well....Maybe he will start doing Backflips afterwards...I am sure he was in alot of pain with his back in that condition...I sure was! Thanks again for the Update jet521 aka Jerry

Where can I send a nice bag of rocks ?.... much more appropriate than flowers ( no joking, what room and what hospital?

That is great news.

And of course we all know that the real time for support and help begins now.

If any of you...and there seem to be a good number of us...have ever had any

kind of surgery, you know what hell the first few weeks of post-op are, and how frustrating

the months of recovery will become...especially

for tough old birds who are crazy for the outdoors the way Bob is.

When it is right I will make time to jump into the Toyota and wind my way

out into the incredible expanse and the shimmering heat of where Bob calls home...Twentynine Palms,

and listen his account of one of the ultimate adventure tales.

Sic 'um Bob.

Flak

That's awesome! thanks for the info I was kinda bugged about having to wait weeks or a month before he felt like sitting at the pc to send out a message. I'm glad your close enough to his family to get that info and you make sure he knows we are all here waiting for more word! Thank the Lord who carries us through times we can't imagine facing in the first place.

Micro, do you know where Bob will be recuperating? Home, or in the hospital? If the latter, which one? Please advise. HH Jim (Yucca Valley)

Guest Gold Guru

Glad he is ok, that experience is horrible for anyone let alone their family.

I have never spoken to him myself but know what its like to be laid up, it just sucks.

Maybe some of us could put together some paydirt from various places we all visit and send it to him so that when he is able he can pan some gold out at home. I'm sure it will be a while before he is ready to do this but it would put a smile on his face knowing we're all pulling for him and that some gold awaits him from many places in the US and has been brought to him just waiting for his recovery.

All we would need is a PO Box or an address of a friend who would be willing to pick up the paydirt and deliver it to him.

Your thoughts?