Nugget Shooter Forums

The HipStick

The Hipstick, is a simple, elegant method of weight redistribution that allows people with back or shoulder problems

to use a metal detector with a degree of ease that up to now was not possible.

For hundreds of people here and in Australia, the Hipstick has made an enormous difference in their detecting experience.

Used in conjunction with a bungee cord, it is simple to set up and does not interrupt your workflow.

It also makes a big difference with the ease of coil swing and height control.

Early on, I was so impressed with the Hipstick I sought out Chris Porter, it’s inventor, and offered startup funding.

With a small and low priced item such as this one, I hope it may be obvious that profit was not the overriding motive for wanting to help.

Rather, I wanted to be involved because it was immediately clear to me (I have a messed up back), that this is a huge benefit for anyone with physical ailments and for anyone who puts in long hours using a detector.

Hipstick makes it possible to maintain concentration and physical comfort for extended periods of time.

At the risk of being perceived as being at cross purposes,

I highly recommend taking another look at the Hipstick

If you are interested in any of it's benefits.

Flak

I couldn't agree more. The Hipstick certainly has made swinging a lot easier. I am 6'2" and weigh around 195. So the first Hipstick I purchased was the largest size (longest shaft) on the assumption that my body dimensions called for it. On a recent stop-over at Bill Southern's place, however, I purchased the medium sized shaft and found it works much, much better for me. Particularly when I get down on one knee for nugget recovery. The longer shaft required me to unhook the Hipstick from my harness every time, but the medium is just right and often I can leave it attached while I scrape or use my cup for final recovery. Thus, I recommend to those of you interested in this excellent product, if you first can try one out (a friend's, at a store, etc) do so in order to insure that the size is right for your particular body shape and size. Too bad the Hipstick can not be modified such that the shaft length becomes adjustable instead of coming only in fixed sizes.

Hello All,

Proper fit is essential to get the best performance from the HipStick.

The best way to determine HipStick size is to measure your torso, measure from your belt-line to the top of your shoulder then subtract 2 inches (5.08 cm).

Usage tips,

On you detector adjust the bow knuckle so the the detector hangs in the hunt position. This will change with different coil weights.

post-861-1209526409_thumb.jpg

The belt clip should be worn near the tip of your hipbone.

post-861-1209527045_thumb.jpg

Micro Nugget,

I considered making an adjustable HipStick. It would have added weight and almost doubled the price...

As always the HipStick is unconditionally guaranteed for complete satisfaction and fit.

Custom sizes by special order at no additional cost.

Enjoy today!

CHris Porter

Yo All...I got one of the early one's and hated it...It gave me two things to curse at in the field: my curly cord and my hipstick....But I think now I acted in haste and simply had the wrong size for me...Everyone I've talked to who has a hipstick loves it...Guess I need to reconsider....Cheers, Unc

Unc.

I had a hipstick given to me by a friend. The hopes were that it would ease the load on my lower back. Micro-Nugget showed me how to hook it up and let me tell you, WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I think if you get the right fit, you will love it.

Chris,

You should try to find a way to make a universal style mount so that it could be used on different machines.

OL'29er

Hi all.....just had to get in on this one.....like most folks I was waiting until I had some feedback on this item.....

being a totally new concept and all.....by the description I just couldn't see how it was going to work and being a

"Okie" everybody knows how slow we are but.....then a really nice person who I still haven't got to meet sent me a new

toy called a "hipstick"......even had to email him to ask how the thing hooks up(Okies have more than one challange)....

now after using the hipstick for about one year....as far as I'm concerned it's a no-go item(if I don't have it I don't go)...

like I told my friend that sent it to me...Flak....this thing has extended my beeping for at least another five years....it's

the cheapest means that I know of to ease back and shoulder pain while beeping and for those folks that aren't hurting yet...

this will prolong the inevetable.......

Also on any given day I might use two or three different coil sizes so to adjust the balance point without having to slide the

bow knuckle back and forth I put a plastic tie wrap around the shaft just in front of the control box and left it loose so

I can attach the bungee cord to this for a smaller coil and still be in balance......works good......

Chris

How much trouble is it when you got a target to dig?Say you need to move around the hole do you have to detach yourself from it?I try to limit on whats hook to me and the detector and thats why I use the pocket rocket with it attach to the housing.

Chuck

PS Getting old is not easy you have to be strong to make it.

Hi Chuck,

I guess you haven't posted back and forth much with NvChris;

he gets on forums about once a month... :comp:

In the meantime maybe I can try to explain. It's pretty easy.

The top of the HipStick attaches to the same 'D' ring your bungie would have

attached to, and then the bungie attaches to the other side of the HipStick.

When I stoop to dig, I unsnap the bungie where it attaches to the top of

the HipStick and then it's just the same as if you had no HipStick on.

In other words, the only thing you have to do is unsnap the bungie

when you dig and re-snap it back on when you're done.

It's harder to visualize and write about than it is to do.

It takes about two seconds.

Hope that helps.

Flak

Well, I met Chris up at RP, maybe a couple of years ago. Helluva nice guy! Talked abit about this idea he had, next thing you know I had one. I've used it on and off. Up here in the lower Motherlode, you'll find at one time or another, you're crawling under the Manzanita and brush and at first, it seemed to get in the way. BUT, I had it on last weekend, crawling and didn't even notice it was there.

I made one mod to it (been hanging around Grubstake too long :innocent0009: ), I cut the bottom off the ball and epoxied a carrage bolt head to it and epoxied a 1" super magnet to the bottom of the holder. It's faster for me to just pluck it out of the holder than undue the bungee, if it gets in the way. I love it, and my back loves it.

Enough said, Shep

Yeh Well Shep, you didn't post the gold you got, two weekends in a row, you skunked me, you got a 1/4 oz weekend before last and last SAT you got another 1/4 oz. Greedy little bugger, arnt you? Of course my detector was messin up, the regulator had a broken wire, it made the batteries go dead in about 30 minutes of detecting. Now its fixed. All the time, I thought it was because my uncle had it in his garage and didn't charge the batteries for 6 months. Not the case. The batteries are fine, its just the bashing the regulator gets when your hunting in very thick brush. Grubstake

Hi Nv Chris and All

Chris just when are you gonna make one for the manly men who haven't seen there feet in a few years :angry-smiley-010: !! My belt is hid under a shed at the far end of the carport :confused0013: . I think if you made one with the features of a half of a harp it might fit onto my belt :shrug: !! Happy Huntin John B.

SHEP, I wish I had some to post! You got to quit stompin around so much with them size 14 feet you have, Look at all the earthquakes you have caused in the past two weeks! Walk softer will ya? :laught16::laught16: Grubstake

Guest Gold Guru

Interesting, from my brief experience witha hipstick it worked great as long as you were on a realtively flat area but for hiking up hills and working very uneven terrain it seemed to just get in the way.

Seen others have the same experience too.

Have you guys rigged one up that works good on hills and uneven terrain?

Rod, maybe mines a bit on the short side. I've left it on the last several trips and didn't even notice it was there.

Mr John B- do you remember (no, you're too young) anyway back in the old'n days, the old men would wear their pants half way up their chest. Might check around some second hand stores on the back racks. Then get a shorthened hipstick (9"-12") and you'd be all set! :innocent0009:

:laught16::laught16::laught16:

Hi Rod, I suppose the ground where I detect is as rough and uneven as it can get and I've had very little trouble

with the HipStick.....I use the Claim Jumper bungee that Doc sells and it's a snap to adjust for ground that's changing

even every few feet......

Guest Gold Guru

Shep and Garimpo the hipstick I tried was Ted's, not sure whatever happened to it.

I think the idea is awesome and like I said it sure worked good in flat areas, maybe it was me that was the problem? Seemed pretty simple though and saw it on the web quite a few times.

Rod,

I don't think it's you necessarily.

Adjusting the HipStick is the same as adjusting a bungie cord hook-up for going up or downhill.

As you know, the bungie cord's for detecting usually have a slip notch

that you use to tighten or loosen the bungie depending on what's needed.

That same bungie would clip on the top of the HipStick instead of the 'D' ring on your harness or pack,

and using the slip notch does the same thing.

The difference is with the HipStick, which you also know, is the weight is destributed to the belt around your hips

instead of your shoulder and back.

All the best,

Flak

Guest Gold Guru

Thanks Flak I'll have to give another one a try, it sure was nice on the flats :icon_mrgreen:

As you know, the bungie cord's for detecting usually have a slip notch

Not mine, I just use a regular old bungee and if needs to be shorter I just tie a knot or two in it or wrap it around the handle of the detector (usually I just do a wrap around the handle), no way I'm paying $30 for an adjustable one when there are other options that work just as well for a lot less money :idea:

Hello All,

Ol'29er,

I've been working on a universal mount, velcro and a "D" ring is what I've got so far,

John B,

Send me your profile and I'll see what I can do to make a "belly stick"for you.

I did make a "boob stick" for a gal that was well endowed. So I'm sure I can fix you up.

Rod,

A adjustable bungee is the way to go hipstick or not. Here is a cheep way to make a adjustable bungee, drill 3 holes in a pice of wood or whatever you like and thread the bungee through as shown, I'm sure you've seen something like this on a tent guy line tensioner.

post-861-1210029769_thumb.jpg

John, have caught beard in everything, but the hipstick and my toenails when clipp'n; but it grows out. Wish I could say the same for the top of my head! :innocent0009: