Nugget Shooter Forums

good article

One of the articles in the meteorite-times.com magazine has some interesting info regarding the little iron pellets that have been found in gold basin...the author speculates that they may have been melt from the meteorite that is scattered all over GB, similar to the irons at Franconia...I had several but think I trashed them because a very special person said they were junk, which made sense to me because the ones I found were all found in road cuts so I figured they were man-made too...BUT, this is food for thought.......

Fred Mason

Hi Fred,

I have saved some of those GB irons because they reminded me so much of the ones I've found at Franconia. The pull to a magnet is just as extreme, the shaping, and the density too. Does anybody need them for testing? I can always get more, I still have the coords.

Best Regards, Ben

very special person ay? :innocent0009: remember, there isn't any one has devine meteorite powers.

remember stranger things have happened

One of the articles in the meteorite-times.com magazine has some interesting info regarding the little iron pellets that have been found in gold basin...the author speculates that they may have been melt from the meteorite that is scattered all over GB, similar to the irons at Franconia...I had several but think I trashed them because a very special person said they were junk, which made sense to me because the ones I found were all found in road cuts so I figured they were man-made too...BUT, this is food for thought.......

Fred Mason

Fred,

I have found many of the so called iron pellets that are shown in the article, one area along the road leading up to the GPAA camp area had quite a few of them scattered in the road area. Another place that there were some scattered in a small area, was over by the loading ramp in section 28, that quarter section is now claimed by the Las Vegas club. I also found a hand full down by the old stamp mill that is along side Greggs Hideout Road. I have not kept any as I did not in any way think that they may meteorite related. I have however seen several small individuals that are identical to the Franconia Irons. One was found at the last Nuggetshooter outing and quite a few of the meteorite hunters got to view it, all were in agreement that it resembled the irons from Franconia. Some of the sliced Gold Basin chondrites show some nice metal veining and it would not surprise me if a number of small irons spalled out of the falls in that strewnfield.

The theory that the metal that ablates away from an iron meteor as it travels through the earths atmosphere might form near-spherical droplets, is something I would have to leave to the experts to verify. I do know that the Gold Basin strewnfield consists of mostly Low Metal Chondrites, which does not lend itself to this theory.

The Franconia strewnfield is made up of mostly High Metal Chondrites as well as a splattering of L-6 chondrites. I would think that if this theory were true, a High metal chondrite would shed these same spherical droplets. I personally have found a few thousand of the Franconia irons and I have not seen one that would compare to the Gold Basin iron pellets or iron artifacts as mentioned in the article. Not to say that a few perfectly round Franconia Irons do not exist, I just have never seen one.

I would imagine that anything is possible when a meteor breaks up and descends to earth in small pieces. Mass repetition of size and shape is just not one of the features that I have observed in any fall or find.

I would say-------Send them all to UCLA and let the experts make a decision......

For those that have not seen the article

Here is a link to the MeteoriteTimes Magazine where the article can be found in Bob's Findings.

http://www.meteorite-times.com/

Jim

I figured the article was of interest to exercise our minds...I thought the part about how they formed and that they have a etch pattern gave some creedence to the discussion, however, I do not care enough to pay for a lab test. I would think that would have been done during the period that Mr B and Co. were defining the strewn field and the class of meteorites....at any rate I think I will keep any more I find just to have them...

Fred

Jim, thanks for the link, I wish I could do that...

I have found one that is about 5.6 grams. I will have to dig it out and take a pic. It has a small dimple on one side that looks like roll over from it being melted maybe? Plus I agree that it seems that many of the small irons are simply generated from the meteorite breaking up and scatering fragments . I have found many diff shapes of iron.

I wonder what a exray of a section of chondrite would look like?

Mookster

Hi All

He's the answer to the puzzle :confused0013: . First off there have been a few small high iron space rocks found at gold basin. Jim Kriegh found the White Hills a mesosiderite. I believe I also have pieces of it. There was one small iron rusted flake of about a gram I found out in the middle of nowhere that was included in the study numbers ( it had some stone attached). But along most of the older roads in Gold Basin one can find small pea to bean size pellets mostly somewhat flatened. A couple were tested and determined to be manmade lacking sufficiant Ni. We concluded they were ball bearings since they were always found in or within very close proximitry of the roads. The road winrows are thick with them in a few areas. Of course there are a few hundred I found and redistributed to other areas a little further away from the roads :laught16: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Hi All

He's the answer to the puzzle :confused0013: . First off there have been a few small high iron space rocks found at gold basin. Jim Kriegh found the White Hills a mesosiderite. I believe I also have pieces of it. There was one small iron rusted flake of about a gram I found out in the middle of nowhere that was included in the study numbers ( it had some stone attached). But along most of the older roads in Gold Basin one can find small pea to bean size pellets mostly somewhat flatened. A couple were tested and determined to be manmade lacking sufficiant Ni. We concluded they were ball bearings since they were always found in or within very close proximitry of the roads. The road winrows are thick with them in a few areas. Of course there are a few hundred I found and redistributed to other areas a little further away from the roads :laught16: !! Happy Huntin John B.