Nugget Shooter Forums

This small enough for you?

For those wondering how small a nugget the new Whites will detect, here's a sample.

This little one gives a diggable signal at 3 inches and a good signal at 2 inches. It weighs 1/10 dwt, which is I think, about 2.5 grains.

Now, this is in the air AND using the small 7" loop shown in Steves picture. That small loop will probably be after market, not the standard loop that comes with it. I know, I know, air tests not reliable... but this is just for information. Actual field results may be more OR less. Still that's not bad.

Digger

post-413-1207625299_thumb.jpg

You know Bob I've been keeping abreast of all the posts for months on the TDI machine which you and others have made. Theres one question I have that I don't think anyone has delved into yet and there may be more than one answer: When you were evaluating this unit in the field WHAT HEADPHONES were you using ???? I'm real curious about that part of the puzzle.

Also thanks for the GPS deal, it will see some action this season.

You know Bob I've been keeping abreast of all the posts for months on the TDI machine which you and others have made. Theres one question I have that I don't think anyone has delved into yet and there may be more than one answer: When you were evaluating this unit in the field WHAT HEADPHONES were you using ???? I'm real curious about that part of the puzzle.

Also thanks for the GPS deal, it will see some action this season.

I haven't used headphones with it yet. It has a very loud speaker and I haven't been in a situation yet where I needed them. I rarely use headphones with my gold machines anyway for a variety of reasons.

Hey, put that GPS to use and find some gold!

Digger

Mike , that answer surprised me too. It must be awfull quiet where he detects.

The wind blows so hard here at times it will knock you over.

I know people don't believe me, but I have proved it over and over to many people. With a speaker - amp on my shoulder or the box chest mounted (GM3) I can hear anything you can hear with headphones. Now, there are times when I have to use headphones, like at Rye Patch when the wind blows pretty hard or around water; any place where there is distracting outside noise. Notice the "distracting" word. Hunting without headphones requires concentration on the sounds you are hearing.

The reasons are many why I usually don't. Here are some:

Can't wear a broad brimmed hat with good quality phones.

Sweaty, pinched ears.

Ringing in the ears at the end of the day.

Loss of hearing from going over big junk

High pitched responses from big junk hurts my ears.

Can't hear what's coming up behind you.

Another dangling cord to get hung up on branches and having the phones ripped off your head.

Short circuit and broken wires. Without a speaker, you're dead in the field.

Those are the quick ones I can think of. There are more...

Digger

I know people don't believe me, but I have proved it over and over to many people. With a speaker - amp on my shoulder or the box chest mounted (GM3) I can hear anything you can hear with headphones. Now, there are times when I have to use headphones, like at Rye Patch when the wind blows pretty hard or around water; any place where there is distracting outside noise. Notice the "distracting" word. Hunting without headphones requires concentration on the sounds you are hearing.

The reasons are many why I usually don't. Here are some:

Can't wear a broad brimmed hat with good quality phones.

Sweaty, pinched ears.

Ringing in the ears at the end of the day.

Loss of hearing from going over big junk

High pitched responses from big junk hurts my ears.

Can't hear what's coming up behind you.

Another dangling cord to get hung up on branches and having the phones ripped off your head.

Short circuit and broken wires. Without a speaker, you're dead in the field.

Those are the quick ones I can think of. There are more...

Digger

I also don't use headphones. Of course I am an amateur, but for the same reasons you posted above, I also rely on the speaker. I also hunt with my family, 3 daughters 12, 4, and 2 months, and wife, so I have to be aware of what they are up too. All the pros seem to suggest headphones, so I have been thinking of getting some to see if I have been missing anything. I doubt I am missing anything as I dig every sound, and since I am a newb, I haven't yet learned to speak my detectors language. Great thread!!!

BobinNV

When you got wind,noise are cold headphones are great to have.I don't like to hunt with someone that don't have them and I do because you can still hear their detector sounding off. :headphones:

It's bad when your headphones do go out and that has happen to me. One of the best things about Whites is they put a speaker on all of their detectors.I hope they have one on the new PI and I don't care if the box is T pink :laught16: because if I don't like the color I'll change it. :tisc-tisc: :Huh_anim]:

Bob I don't know it if you know but Digger Bob has been testing the prototype of Whites PI. I think I read that only about 10% of the gold has been found but Dig Bob is having so much fun that PI we may be down another 10% before he turns it in.

Chuck

If my arithmetic is correct, the that is .16 grams.

Last time in Australia, the wife and I sold 2.5 oz of gold, that consisted of pieces less than .15 grams. Most seemed to be close to .1 gram, as two of them on the scale would still only come out at .2 grams.

we collected with GP 3000's and the ll" coil running in the DD mode. Good solid signals, but you had to be working slow. I'd expect the GPX's would get smaller stuff, but why would anyone want to do that?

We'd get 25 or 30 of those pieces and at the end of the day it wouldn't hardly pay for the water you drank. Lots of fun, but a waste of time, money wise.

So if you want to impress folks with the new detector, talk about depth of useful pieces, not little stuff that gets drywashers exicted :)

WOW,.... :angry-smiley-010: Some tough straight talk from Gary, .....but it is true we need to know what size nugs can be found and at what approximate depths to really get a feel for this new machine.

I know I for one am waiting patiently to hear one of you testers report from the southwestern U.S. OR even the northwestern U.S.

COME ON SOMEBODY GET THEIR HANDS ON ONE AN PICK UP SOME NUG SIGNALS AN REPORT

MAYBE IF I SAY "PLEASE"

GaryG

What if thats all that was to be found wouldn't it be best to find alot of small gold than to come home with nothing?Most detectors will detect the big object more so that the small one.I know they may be getting to the point of being too small not only fly speck gold and alot of fly speck metal.I've dug shoe tacks at 10in. are more and all the time thinking it's got to be gold.(Wrong) :tisc-tisc:

It's a hard call on what detector you should buy being if you don't like it it's yours to live with no matter what.I myself would like to have the GPX4500 and I have had the GP3500 but it's all on hold for me right now waiting for more info. :coffeetime:

The Best!

Chuck

Yo, All...My old beat up sd2100 with the Nuggetfinder 5x9 mono coil, coiltek enhancer, black widow headphones, will find those dinks down 3 inches with a good diggable signal in moderately mineralized ground...At 2" it rivals my GB2 with 6"coil on tiny boogers that just don't even register on a scale...Check it out...These two Vulture nuggies are less than 2 grains each...(The whisker hair adds addition proportion & drama... :icon1: ....Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

post-9-1208490435_thumb.jpg

Now Unc .... Is that one day growth or a two day? :confused0013: Makes a difference you know! :innocent0009:

Mike

HI,

"What if thats all that was to be found wouldn't it be best to find alot of small gold than to come home with nothing?"

Well, I guess I was just a bit "wishy washy". The point I was trying to make is, don't hype a PI machine by talking about how small a target it will detect. It's just not relevant to why you should select a PI machine. If small targets are the issue, then a Gold Bug II (or others) find tiny stuff.

And existing SD and GP detectors as I and Ron pointed out, can find that small stuff now. My personal opinion is, it's not worth hunting that stuff, except that occasionally it will indicate a patch. Just my opinion :)

Hi Gary

You must still be a Minelab dealer :shrug: ??? I have lots of gold that's screamers on goldmasters or any good VLF gold machine but the Minelab PIs won't even fart on it :innocent0009: ?? It's a whole lot bigger gold than these flyturds Bob and Uncle Ron are braggin up :nutty: !! Wanna make a real wager :confused0013: ???? Besides if your a real prospector 90 % or better of all your finds you could make with just about any decent VLF gold beeper :icon_mrgreen: . Unless all you know how to do is pound old patches :angry-smiley-010: ?? Happy Huntin John B.

BobinNV

When you got wind,noise are cold headphones are great to have.I don't like to hunt with someone that don't have them and I do because you can still hear their detector sounding off. :headphones:

It's bad when your headphones do go out and that has happen to me. One of the best things about Whites is they put a speaker on all of their detectors.I hope they have one on the new PI and I don't care if the box is T pink :laught16: because if I don't like the color I'll change it. :tisc-tisc: :Huh_anim]:

Bob I don't know it if you know but Digger Bob has been testing the prototype of Whites PI. I think I read that only about 10% of the gold has been found but Dig Bob is having so much fun that PI we may be down another 10% before he turns it in.

Chuck

Good point Chuck, and I am going to give some headphones a try when I am out hunting alone. As you probably already know, the x-terra 70 has a loud speaker and I can see how that could be a problem with multiple detectors in the field.

J.B. I LOVE TO HEAR YA TALK ABOUT DETECTORS AN GOLD.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT YOU WERE THE KIND OF GUY TO TELL IT LIKE IT IS.

THERE AINT NO SUGAR COATIN LEFT WHEN YOU GET DONE. BRAVO :twocents:

J.B. I LOVE TO HEAR YA TALK ABOUT DETECTORS AN GOLD.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT YOU WERE THE KIND OF GUY TO TELL IT LIKE IT IS.

THERE AINT NO SUGAR COATIN LEFT WHEN YOU GET DONE. BRAVO :twocents:

I agree 100% Frank. :cool04:

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please list any information about this detector that is available. I keep hearing different things. It seems like something to wait for but then it's taking so long and is so "low key" it makes me wonder if it is worth waiting for at all. Things I'd like to hear about are Expected price, expected depth, Expected arrival date, ANY ACTUAL FACTS ABOUT IT.

I'm not tryin to be a pain in the ass but in the next couple of months I am hoping to purchase a detector and am wondering if there is something worth being curious about here. I respect the fact that several respectable people seem to be excited about it but I can't seem to find any actual information on the detector. Heck what is the name ? Please and thank you everyone.