Nugget Shooter Forums

type of headphones?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to nuggetshooting so I'm gonna need to ask newbie questions...bear with me. My first question is: Can anyone recommend good headphones? I have a Tesoro Lobo Supertraq (I know, I know, it ain't a Minelab but if I really get a chance to do a lot of nuggethunting I will upgrade later; I live in Illinois so unfortunately the trips to good gold will not be every weekend) I'm heading up to Happy Camp in May to give it a workout and so I need a good set of phones. Any help you gurus out there can give me would be supah.

Cheers,

Lisa :headphones:

Lisa,

Welcome.

Don't have a Minelab?

Well guess we can't help you.

(kidding),

I just bought a pair of Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones from Bill Southern.

I really like them.

You can Google the name and read up on some of their features.

Hopefully this is a start.

Keep us posted how you're search goes.

All the best,

Flak

:headphones: I prefer CalRad or Rystal,stereo,dual volume control,2 are lightweight--2 are ear cover style. Some are OVER 20 YEARS OLD and still working fine. I've spent tons a cash on all kinds a fancy expensive units--come home to the best,cheapest,most reliable.Tons a au 2 u 2-John PS That TLST is a FINE unit!!!

Lisa if you don't have any hearing impairments, most earphones will surfice. If you want to give yourself the best start look for high impedence phones the higher the better I use a pair of 150 olms.

Little earbuds will work and big cover over your ear muff types also.

If you hunt with alot of wind noise or near anything that produces alot of background noise you would be better off with the type that covers the whole ear to keep out the external sounds.

Good Luck an Happy Hunting. MY :twocents: ON :headphones:

I use the Sun Rays as well. A nice thing about them is that they have a stereo or mono switch so you can use them on any type of detector, that way when you get that Minelab you'll be all set. As Frank was saying, the external noise can be a problem with some types but I've never had a problem with these.

Randy

Most headphones will work for coin huntin-I currently use the sunray pro golds and lite weight koss--but for serious gold beepin I have a set of fisher phones rated at 300 ohms-I've used these for about 10 or so years and they were getting worn out-externally--so I bought new pair a few years ago and they did'nt sound as good as my old pair they sounded muffled--so I took them apart to see why and fisher had changed the style of the speakers and the volumn knob--I took the speakers and the volumn knob out of my old pair put it into the new shell and got back that good live sound I was use to.I.ve been through many pairs of headphones and always went back to my old fishers for gold beepin-even the sunray pro golds sounded muffled compared to my old fishers--I also have a pair of gray ghost originals for back ups-they still don't measure up to the fishers but are good :icon_mrgreen: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Believe it or not, that's the least of your worries. Personally, I'm scared to death of snakes so that should tell you something about what I'm saying. If you're working slow and keeping your detector on the ground as it's meant to be, it will be rare to see one while beeping. In all the years I've been swinging, I've only seen two snakes. The first was up under a cactus hidden real well. I stuck my coil up under there and every time I did I kept getting a weird sound. Couldn't figure it out till I started moving things around and then saw him. He was pretty PO'ed by then. Turns out that the noise was him striking the coil every time I put it in his face. He didn't want to give up his shade on that hot day. The other time was when I put my coil under a manzanita and flushed out a Mojave. Both were hidden real well and didn't stand much chance of getting stepped on where they were, so they hid instead of running from the noise. I feel it's more important to hear the subtle returns you'll get from deep or small gold than it is to worry about the snakes. Just wear your chaps or snake boots and you'll be fine. I use mine most of the time so I can wade into the cactus without worrying about getting stuck.

Well alrighty then, I'll follow that advice; I'm scared to death of snakes too...the closest brush I ever had with one was a habu snake I accidentally stepped on while in the Northern Training area jungle of Okinawa at night. Felt a weird whap on my boot...I said the heck with light discipline and shined my light down just as he was striking again. I believe I could have won an Olympic event getting away from him!

I have never used headphones. How important is it that I use them. My detector is a lobo super traq. My hearing is normal. I also like to keep an ear open for snakes. However, I am more worried about bees.