Nugget Shooter Forums
Steve Herschbach

White's PI Prototype in Hawaii

Hi,

Well, I figure it is out there now so might as well post one of my own. This is a picture of the White's PI prototype I tested on the island of Kauai last November. It handled that red volcanic soil with ease. I preferred hip mounting the unit for beach use.

wtdi.jpg

This picture shows a small pendant and little tiny bead I found with the unit on the beach.

whtdib.jpg

Steve Herschbach

Yo Steve & All...I wonder if it is available with an "S" rod configuration...That straight rod sucks, ergonomically, that's why I convered my sd2100 years ago to a White's S rod...Performance looks promising...What kind of depths were you getting, Steve? ...Cheers, Ron

Hi Ron I was thinking the same thing with the new whites--S-Rod---I hope this new beeper does well--like stated before it will fit a well awaited AFFORDABLE user nitch and should sell well if it has good sensitivity to the small gold :headphones: Even though I have the best PI out there (4000) for at least 3-4 more days-I would love to have the 4500 but it was hard enough to cough up 4K and now 5K :tisc-tisc: I'm going to watch this one (whites) along with the (nemisis) and who knows maybe get one or both :innocent0009: --this should be an interesting year :icon_mrgreen: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

HEY, I just thought of something, you guys have heard the saying "poor mans cadillac" before right.

Well this unit just might be the "poor mans P.I."

Fits my finances. :laught16: :twocents: :coffeetime:

HMMMM, I wonder if anyone will have one at the gold show this coming weekend at Primm outside of Vegas. Looks like i may take the day off to check out the Whites dealers there and see what they say about this unit. It sure looks promising for a PI unit that will be affordable to us poor working folk. :innocent0009:

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Gold Fault,

I'll bet 'no'.

They've got an established base and it will take a pretty big

deal product-wise - something they would lose sales to,

to get them to come down on the price.

I hope I'm wrong btw...

Flak

Hi Ron,

Well, as I was using a prototype I'll just say the depths were very good. A disinterested third party using a final product is better positioned to answer that question without getiing slimed. I agree with Flak that Minelab has a heck of a lead when it comes to a PI prospecting unit and so they can name their price. The GPX units are more like professional grade electronic prospecting instruments than metal detectors.

That said I think the White's unit is going to hit a sweet spot for price, performance, and features. Built in battery, built in speaker, priced right, good performance, rod, hip or chest mount, uses Minelab coils and more. There are a lot of things in that list people will like. People raised on Minelab will no doubt have something to say about the audio but to me it is like meeting an old friend. The White's sounds way more like an analog VLF unit than a PI unit. The audio is one of my favorite features but again, that is just coming from an old detectorist like me.

I do not know about the rod type. It will be easy enough to switch regardless. Everyone has a favorite design so there is no clear answer there. Like you I like "S" rods but I can't say I had any problem with the White's proto rod design. It did not even occur to me to comment on it, and if it had bugged me I would have.

Steve Herschbach

Steve,

Again, thank you for bring more info to the "general" public. Looking like they will have a winner on thier hands. Now if we can get pricing.

I am going to make a guess that the price of used ML compatible coils will go up on EBay! And I wil have to go back and read a lot of threads on what coil is best for what soil/condition that I just skimmed thru in the past.

Scott

Gday all,

How do you think the whites PI will perform in Australia? Does it have auto G/B or manual?

Jim

Hi Jim,

Manual ground balance. I'm afraid somebody down under will have to let us know how well it works there.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Jim,

Manual ground balance. I'm afraid somebody down under will have to let us know how well it works there.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve,

Any idea of cost?

Jim

It would be great if someone like John B would let us know how it preformed on the so called invisible nuggets.

Thanks for your input, Steve...I've gotta say I'm much more excited about the new White's PI than the ML 4500...I've always been a White's fan and feel that if they bring the same quality to PI that they did to VLF, the new machine will be a huge winner...I know I'll buy one, if it can beat my ol' baboo SD2100...That means, with my Coiltek signal enhancer and Black Widow headphones, hitting half grammers at 8 - 10 inches in warmish ground......I do like the fact that Whites will let me use my Nuggetfinder and Coilteck coils...That was brilliant on their part... Cheers, Unc

Hi Ron,

I'm pumped up about the White's simply because it is so different. Let's face it, the Minelab units have all been laid out pretty much the same physically. As long as performance is acceptable there are times I want a unit I can just pick up and use with harnessing up. Especially for scrape and detect scenarios where the detector sits on the ground most of the time. Having the battery and speaker built in really appeals to me. And for serious side-hilling being able to hip or chest mount the unit and just swing the rod and coil will be a real blessing. The new White's coils are featherweight compared to what we are used to on Minelabs.

You'll have to give us a report on the unit versus the SD2100 in your ground on your gold. It drives me nuts when people talk in absolutes about detectors. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa. I'm certain that the White's unit is going to be popular as it fills a niche with a design and a price that will set it apart. I do not see it replacing Minelab units so much as augmenting them. If all I had was my new GPX-4500 I'd pop for one of these units in a heartbeat as a complimentary machine that shares all my coils. A good backup, and one that might serve better than my GPX in some situations. In a torrential downpour I'd be far more likely to chestmount the White's and leave my GPX in the cabin.

One big thing about the White's - almost 100% immunity from outside electrical interference. I ran the prototype under a powerline transformer and it ran better than a lot of VLF units. That alone may have some applications down your way.

The price will be such that I can be talking to somebody about a GMT or MXT and bring this unit into the conversation without stopping it dead. The Minelabs are great units but the truth is for people shopping in the VLF price range they are often just too big of a step up for many more casual type people. You should try talking to a customer about a White's GMT or Minelab X-Terra 70 and then drop the GPX-4500 into the conversation! A lot of people react with laughter or stunned silence. I love my Minelabs but there is a need for a less expensive more user friendly PI detector and I think White's is going to deliver the goods on that one.

Steve Herschbach

It would be great if someone like John B would let us know how it preformed on the so called invisible nuggets.

Unfortunately, the invisible nuggets are still invisible. It's a quirk of PI circuitry on a very small minority of nuggets. I don't know the technical terms for it but it's much like a gold ring. If the band of a ring is broken, you will get a much weaker response (if any) than a intact band using a coin machine. Beach hunters have run into this on rings that have been sized and the solder worn away by the wave and sand.

I could expand on what Steve has said but had better keep quiet for now as the production model may differ from what you have seen. Some controls and features may be changed also. But overall, it's going to be a winner but not a replacement.

Digger

Hi Steve,

A couple of times you have used the term "built in battery"...to me a built in battery means that you have to somehow put the control box on the power source to recharge.

I would think that the battery box would be similar to the one used on the XLT, or machine that use that type of a slide in rechargeable battery box, or the same type box using 8 penlight type batteries, which I prefer anyway to the rechargeable setup.

I guess the answer lies clouded in semantics.

Either way, I will be on someones WP1000 wait list ready to make my next detector purchase.

I wonder how this new machine will work on specimen type gold that is usually reserved for VLFs like the Gold Bug

or Whites gold machines?

~LARGO~

Unfortunately, the invisible nuggets are still invisible. It's a quirk of PI circuitry on a very small minority of nuggets. I don't know the technical terms for it but it's much like a gold ring. If the band of a ring is broken, you will get a much weaker response (if any) than a intact band using a coin machine. Beach hunters have run into this on rings that have been sized and the solder worn away by the wave and sand.

I could expand on what Steve has said but had better keep quiet for now as the production model may differ from what you have seen. Some controls and features may be changed also. But overall, it's going to be a winner but not a replacement.

Digger

Thanks Bob for the reply. I figured that might be the case, but that's OK, I still want one. When I find a patch, I always go over it with another machine any way.

Jim

Hi Steve or Digger-will it hit good on small gold-like 1-2 grainers :confused0013: and will the batterries be lithium or nicad :confused0013:

Steve your small silver pendant and brass thingy are higher conducters-therefore easier to locate with most MD's--how does it do on lower conducters-such as gold-nickels-foil :confused0013: --Mike C... :ph34r2:

Hi,

Small gold sensitivity is more on par with units like the MXT or Lobo not the GMT or Gold Bug 2. The unit is optimized for gold but it is still a PI unit. They were still tweaking the unit so we will have to get independent tests of the final production unit to see exactly where it settles out. But no matter what I'll be keeping my GMT.

Largo, you got me. It is a drop in battery pack. I was referring to it being in the control box but built in does imply hard-wired, and it is not. You can pull a dead battery out and drop a new one in. I have my fingers crossed for Lithium-Ion but don't take that as a promise it will happen. I do not know what the final battery will be.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the updates and comments!

If the new White's WP1000 battery WERE a lithium ion and made as a drop in, such as the XLT, MXT type battery holders, and WERE a quick charge, such as the new lithium ion such as the new GPX has, Whites would really have a sweet combination...when Minelab came out with that new light weight/quick charging battery, it was like YESSS!!! THERE IS A GOD!!!....waxing a little toward the dramatic, but it was a great upgrade to be sure.

Now I would think they should really consider geting rid of that butt ugly/non-ergonomic hand grip, on that one shown here, in this batch of photos, and go for a more hand pleasing grip, such as the one the GPX has. If Whites is going to be competitive, then they should go all out and tweak those things that make for a good machine both in function and design, and not throw something out, and tell the public, "there it is, take it or leave it"...but then they are metal detector makers, and I am just a picky old carpenter that liked to please my customers.

Just my dos centavos :twocents:

~LARGO~

Hi Steve or Digger-will it hit good on small gold-like 1-2 grainers :confused0013: and will the batterries be lithium or nicad :confused0013:

Steve your small silver pendant and brass thingy are higher conducters-therefore easier to locate with most MD's--how does it do on lower conducters-such as gold-nickels-foil :confused0013: --Mike C... :ph34r2:

It will "hit' on those small ones...but... they have to be shallow, like an inch or less. AND, you have to be using a smaller coil than comes with it. We are currently trying to decide which size and shape of accessory loops should be available. I've been playing with a 1/10 dwt. nugget (not sure how many grains that is) on a couple size loops. Personally, I'm partial to the eliptical like the Coiltek Joey. Then there's the long narrow size like the Hotfoot. There are advanatages to each. But on the nuggets I've worked with, I can get 1 to 2 inches in the air with either, depending on the shape of the nugget. But it won't "hit" them as small as a Goldmaster or Gold Bug.

Batteries will be "drop in" Lithium... unless something changes soon. Not sure how long it takes to charge, but the one I used lasted 10 hours and still showed a "full charge".

Digger

Digger Bob

It's 24 grains= one DWT and you said 1/10 DWT that=2.4 grains.Now if I read this all correct then thats smaller than small.Thats getting down to fly specks even if it's more than one.

The battery sounds good lasting all day and still had a full charge.Something like the joey coil is the coil I'd go for not the bigfoot coil.

I hope it makes it on the market soon if not sooner being alot of us have a pop off valve that's about to pop.

Chuck

I hope it makes it on the market soon if not sooner being alot of us have a pop off valve that's about to pop.

Chuck

You got that right Chuck

My dealer just told me the new detector is coming out in June. She said she talked to Sweet Home today and they said it will have knobs but is computerised

inside. What ever that means? She also said the color will be tan. I don't know how much of this is true, She talks to a friend at White's but I don't know if she works in the office or in the shop. I just don't know what to believe any more.

Jim

Hi Steve,

Do you know what the ballpark price for this new detector will be?

Thanks, Ben