Nugget Shooter Forums

canyon diablo laws?

Years ago I went out to the meteor crater area and searched with my cousin. We found stuff near the crater - but also several miles away along a dirt ranch road. I since have gone back a few times to show the museum and crater to the family and see that security is like a prison and a law now protects the land against collecting. What does this law actually say? Is it even prohibited 5 or 10 miles away? I'd like to take another shot at the ranch road if not illegal.

Hi All

All of the surrounding land around the crater is State, State Trust, or Private land. The Prossers owners of the surrounding private land will not allow hunting and will prosecute. They also lease most of the state lands for grazing and help to bust meteorite thieves. All State and State Trust lands are forbiddin from prospectin or rock hounding. Prospecting does require a permit but excludes meteorites and state trust lands are not open for rock hounding, prospecting ,mining, or even tresspassing without a hunting liscence. Many people continue to sneek around and hunt the area. They risk lose of equiptment including vehicles, stiff fines and possible jail time. There have been several individuals caught and a couple prosicuted. They are realitivly cheap to buy, abundant and readily available so why hunt them ??? Happy Huntin John B.

Hi All

All of the surrounding land around the crater is State, State Trust, or Private land. The Prossers owners of the surrounding private land will not allow hunting and will prosecute. They also lease most of the state lands for grazing and help to bust meteorite thieves. All State and State Trust lands are forbiddin from prospectin or rock hounding. Prospecting does require a permit but excludes meteorites and state trust lands are not open for rock hounding, prospecting ,mining, or even tresspassing without a hunting liscence. Many people continue to sneek around and hunt the area. They risk lose of equiptment including vehicles, stiff fines and possible jail time. There have been several individuals caught and a couple prosicuted. They are realitivly cheap to buy, abundant and readily available so why hunt them ??? Happy Huntin John B.

So why are they so easy to buy and so common? Were they "commercially harvested", collected years ago by someone who had a clue to their worth, what? There must be a story there. Also, why the anal take on people going out on desolate land and picking up rocks. Why is this land so much more special than other areas? Here in CA it has been getting that way, but take a look at how many people go out to Glamis on weekends to drive their ATV's or whatever. Or boats on Havasu. Collecting meteorites in that area seems much more low-impact in comparison. As you say, they are common and cheap. Allowing access just makes them cheaper and more common. Personally, I just want to find a big one and would rather do that where they are common than where you may walk 10 miles a day and not find one. But...I guess I won't.

Someone wrote me, upset that I posted the question about collecting in this area. The followup answers were excellent and helpful - I won't go there to collect. If you guys are really upset about these posts feel free to just erase the whole topic. I just feel the best way to enforce laws is to make people aware of them...

You certainly have every right to ask any question (or give your opinion)...getting and giving information is the main purpose of these forums. I can't imagine why any person would take offence to your question. As to deleting or censoring posts that is the duty of the various moderators. You can't know what you haven't learned so keep asking, learning and studying...

Fred

Any respectable collector would not get upset by

your question. You may have saved someone from

having a real bad experience .

Knowing and following the rules is the only way we

prospectors and meteorite collectors are going to be

able to survive all the anti groups.

We don't need any outlaws or renegades attracting

attention,or causing problems.

Years ago I went out to the meteor crater area and searched with my cousin. We found stuff near the crater - but also several miles away along a dirt ranch road. I since have gone back a few times to show the museum and crater to the family and see that security is like a prison and a law now protects the land against collecting. What does this law actually say? Is it even prohibited 5 or 10 miles away? I'd like to take another shot at the ranch road if not illegal.

________________________________________________________________________________

_______

One of the problems I've seen just from hunters at Franconia and one of the concerns from those with private property is the fact that some will dig holes then walk away leaving the hole. If cattle are in the area, they may step in the hole and break a leg. As strange as this may seem, I have come across cattle in the field, dead with broken legs.... it does happen. Since there are those who will walk away not leaving the land the way they found it. Most property owner's just exclude everyone. I live on an airstrip, I have people who will drive in and walk on the airstrip without permission. It bugs me but if they come to the door and ask, I say, go ahead just please don't leave any FOD (Foriegn Object Debris) on the airstrip. Most comply and we're both happy. :coffeetime:

Jim "Bones" Shorten :outtahere: