Nugget Shooter Forums

Which would you choose?

Guys, I have someone who wants to do some horse trading with me, detector for Gold. I have a choice between 1 or 2 of these quartz and gold specimens or an ounce of nice nuggets. I figure the specs to be worth about $500 each and the nuggets about $1000 for an oz.

If you had to choose, which would you take? Dollar for dollar it's about the same, but I'm thinking the specs are a bit more valuable but harder to sell. No matter which way I go, I'm selling them as soon as I get them as I need the cash to pay for the detector.

The picture shows pretty well the size and character of each as well as the nuggets. So, what do you think? 2 specimens or one oz of nuggets? One spec and 1/2 oz nuggets?

Digger

post-413-1207079253_thumb.jpg

Well Bob, unless you get someone responding to this post that wants to buy the speci's

Its like you said, you need to sell it quickly so the nugs would be more saleable.

If it was me I think I would take the best of the speci's and the rest in nugs. But thats because I'd be collecting it not turning around and selling.

Whichever you deciede good luck and thanks for sharing the pics. :twocents: :coffeetime:

Hi Bob and All

I'ld take the specimens :innocent0002: . The nuggets will have value tied pretty much to the spot price of gold :hmmmmmm: . The specimens will have higher collector value :twocents: . True mineral collectors don't think much of beat up pounded nuggets and one of their loves is minerals in natural matrix :whoopie: . Locality info is always a big plus the more historic or well known the better and higher prized :shrug: . The price of gold will continue on it's uptrend I'm confidend of that and will continue to trend with oil :tisc-tisc: . It may come to gold for oil if the crap hits the fan and I ain't walkin :outtahere: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Bob, it sort of looks like all those speci's have been hit with flouric acid...Many collectors don't like that .... If you need to turn it over fast, I'd go for the sluggy nuggets...Cheers, Unc

My :twocents: ... I agree, the average person would not see the value or beauty of a specie. So I guess you need to figure out who you will be marketing your gold to.... imho

Guys, I have someone who wants to do some horse trading with me, detector for Gold. I have a choice between 1 or 2 of these quartz and gold specimens or an ounce of nice nuggets. I figure the specs to be worth about $500 each and the nuggets about $1000 for an oz.

If you had to choose, which would you take? Dollar for dollar it's about the same, but I'm thinking the specs are a bit more valuable but harder to sell. No matter which way I go, I'm selling them as soon as I get them as I need the cash to pay for the detector.

The picture shows pretty well the size and character of each as well as the nuggets. So, what do you think? 2 specimens or one oz of nuggets? One spec and 1/2 oz nuggets?

Digger

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I went ahead and made a deal for the specimens alone. Based on the picture, I got $500 each for them. He may back off when he sees and holds them, but that's a chance I've got to take. My thinking is nice specimens like these are harder to come by than run of the mill nuggets. I can always try Ebay as a last resort.

And yes, Ron, I thought the same thing that they look acid washed. I'll know on Sunday when I pick them up.

Digger

Hi Bob and All

I think uncle Ron need to wipe the dust off his glasses :Huh_anim]: . The Specimens don't look like they have been in HF :innocent0002: . They may have been soaked in oxcylic (sp?) acid to take off surface staining but the quartz looks real nice :whoopie: . Unless of course I need glasses :hmmmmmm: ?? The are pretty clean white quartz (very desirable) I think Bob you made a great choice :bowdown: . If in doubt a specific gravity test is pretty simple to do to determine the apx gold content :confused0013: . But on small pieces you are experienced enough to make a good guestimate :twocents: . The dinky species in the vial look cooked :angry-smiley-010: !! And the smaller of the 2 big nuggets might be manmade :grrr01: ?? That's the best guess a blind man can give :shrug: !! Happy Huntin John B.