Nugget Shooter Forums

Modding SD2000

Hi guys,

Hope someone here can help with a battery question. A few months ago I asked a bright techie in Oz about modding an SD2000. The simplest upshot he recommended was to buy a camcorder 7.3V 6000mAh battery. Having tried this, and the voltage dropping out immediately, I re-contacted him suggesting that the battery may have an internal cutout that is being activated. He agreed (having found this problem himself!) but when I emailed "what do I do now?" no reply has so far been forthcoming. He may well be busy, but in the meantime, does anyone know of, perhaps an inline spike protector or something to prevent the battery voltage dropping out? The old battery was a 6V, 10Ahr gel cell. (when I reconnected the old gel cell, the detector still makes the right noises, so at least I haven't buggered that!)

Cheers from New Zealand

Rick.

I have NO idea .. but I can tell you as a mechanic If it ain't broke don't fix it is still very true!

Hi Rick I use to use one of those coiltek pocketrocket batterys which is also just a camcorder battery moddified to the sd/gp machines--when I first got it-it would react the same as your describing it would shut off everytime I turned the switch on to the gp--so the solution to this flaw was to keep your switch on to the machine and use the switch on the battery instead to power it up-problem solved :headphones: -so maybe you should put a switch at the battery and use the same method-should work--I use to have a 2000 and sent it to AU for some modds by finders-one was a frequency and the other was a audio--man what a differance that made to it-like night and day-I wish I still had it as there are still a few areas that my gp's struggled at and the sd2000m just cruised through :icon_mrgreen: hope this helps-Mike C... :ph34r2:

Hi Rick I use to use one of those coiltek pocketrocket batterys which is also just a camcorder battery moddified to the sd/gp machines--when I first got it-it would react the same as your describing it would shut off everytime I turned the switch on to the gp--so the solution to this flaw was to keep your switch on to the machine and use the switch on the battery instead to power it up-problem solved :headphones: -so maybe you should put a switch at the battery and use the same method-should work--I use to have a 2000 and sent it to AU for some modds by finders-one was a frequency and the other was a audio--man what a differance that made to it-like night and day-I wish I still had it as there are still a few areas that my gp's struggled at and the sd2000m just cruised through :icon_mrgreen: hope this helps-Mike C... :ph34r2:

Hi Mike,

Yes, I also had those mods done and was great for coinshooting at the beach. At this stage I've only found two "nugettes"! (1.000gm and a 0.7182gm) ((I work in a lab so I get accurate weights! lol) and these were with an XT18000 that I've waterproofed. Here I'm predominantly working in creeks using the detector and a homemade 'snifter'. Great fun to get out in the fresh air, even if little to no gold is found!

Thanks for the advice - I'll charge up battery AGAIN! and try that.

Cheers,

Rick.

Nup. Not a dicky-bird! On to plan B (or was it C or D) I'll get battery checked out first and if not that, then maybe a higher-rated battery.

Thanks,

Rick.

Hi goldnugget-sorry but it was worth a try :tisc-tisc: why not just buy a coiltek lithium setup and be done with it-I know they are a little pricey but it would save you the trouble :innocent0009: good luck-Mike C... :ph34r2: