Nugget Shooter Forums

Micrometeorites

Hi Guys:

Each day as the Earth travels around the Sun- tons of micrometeorites or meteor dust enters the atmosphere and slowly drifts to the surface. I've seen various figures ranging from 10 -20 tons per day actually reach the surface as about 90% is burned up in the atmosphere. This material is 4.6 billion years old- as old as our solar system.

Here's some links

http://www.crrel.usace.army.mil/es/researc...ometeorites.htm

http://remf.dartmouth.edu/micrometeorites/

http://www.stevespangler.com/archives/2004...te-hit-my-house

Another way to collect this material is to set a large shallow tray of water outside for a couple days. You should see some residue on the bottom in time. Cover a magnet with Saran wrap, wax paper or some other type of material. Pick up magnetic material in tray with your magnet and set on paper to dry. Observe material with a good- strong microscope. Some of what you see will be spherical balls- those are the micrometeorites.

If you're not having any luck hunting macrometeorites, try hunting micrometeorites. You'll never get skunked.

Steve

Hi steve i am building a trailer mounted recirculating sluice and was thinking about adding a magnet bar

on the sluice to pick up small meteorite,s and after reading your post im convinenced i will find something

worth while

thanks for the info. :confused0013:

Ed

an even larger collection area would be your roof....just channel the runoff into a container and check it after a good rain...you will have sand particles from the comp shingles but they should be easy to sort...

Fred

I gave the idea of finding a small meteorite on the roof a try the other day. Our office is roughly a 30,000 sq ft building with a very slight pitch on the roof. On my tea break, I went up and found a couple places where the wind had gathered small debris into little piles. Mostly in corners. I drug a small magnet through the debris piles and then cleaned it off into a paper cup. I took the cup home that afternoon and washed the material. I spent about 20 minutes going over it under the low-power microscope. I really looked at it close. Nulla, zilch, nothing. Just my luck, I must have searched the wrong debris piles. I'll try it again someday. Maybe my luck will be better the next time.

Mike in CO

Mike:

I really don't think you're going to find anything with a low power microscope. It's going to take a pretty strong one to see micrometeorites.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I know, you are right on that. When searching the stuff from the roof, I was trying to find something a bit bigger. I use the term micro a little loosely I suppose in that I call any stone smaller than 13 mm a micro. That size is not what you were referring to I know. I can magnify to about 90x with use of 20x eyepieces. Then the software from my camera will bring it in even closer. Still not enough for the true micro size.

Mike in CO

Hi Mike:

Here are some micrometeorites that Larense found and photographed. Note the one in the back that seems to have a couple impact craters on it. These were magnified 360X. The photo still came out a little blurry. I think the easy part is finding them. The hardest is obviously going to be the photography.

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/28877/24...S600x600Q85.jpg

Steve