Nugget Shooter Forums

Pre-Easter "egg" hunt

Mike and I made it out to hunt Friday afternoon for about 4 hours. Tried to sleep :grrr01: :grrr01: then started again in the morning. went for a few hours with no finds then Del showed up. We shot the breeze for awhile then headed off again. Mike and Del were quite a ways away from me, and doing a lot of bending over. I hopped in the truck to check it out. Halfway there I could see Mike pumping his fist and motioning me over. He and Del had just hit one each (Dels was around 27 grams I think and mikes was a whopping 44 grams.) After i was done pouting and throwing a tantrum :rofl2: We were back at it. The day was almost gone and I was almost back to the truck to call it a day and take a little nap when I ran across the old 40 ounce king cobra bottle. I picked it up and carried it over towards Mike to pretend I was having a little refreshing frosty cold one. As I walked towards him I noticed this little beauty sticking out of the ground 104_0133.jpg

After I found that Things were all better no more pouting. It ended up weighing in at 45.8 grams. Here was our takes for the day. (mine and Mikes on top and Dels on bottom 104_0137.jpg

Del stayed out for a bit longer Saturday night and for a little while on Sunday. I think he got another one this morning but we will wait for his post to see.

Paul

Paul Mike Del Rick

Good finds you guys. No skunks. Waiting for Del's weigh-in!! Keep the hunt on.

Wayne

P.S Rick/Az Sorry I missed your PM. Next time E-Me. Glad to hear you have your machine. I really would like to make a hunt with you.

Wayne

Great finds guys....

Wayne, was that you that had the tent set up in Dolan on Sat the said Meteorites on the side of it.

We came thru Dolan about 3PM and was headed home, Dad not feeling to well......

I got the right gear so I can get out some now so maybe soon we can hunt together.

That was a good day all the way around. I was going a different way when I saw Del flagging me over. He meet me about half way and said, see if you can spot it. The pressure was on, luckily I did spot it,and it was a nice one at that. I congratulated him and got out of his way. I think only about two minutes went by

and I yelled out, got one. A nice 44.0g. Thanks for calling me over there Del LOL

Fun stuff guys lets get back out there and find some more.

44.0g instu, man no justice in this pic

Picture046.jpg

nice little chondrule looking at you

Picture059.jpg

little chip out of it

Picture060.jpg

ok,ok, I give up maggie sniffed it out and wants it back LOL!

Picture050-1.jpg

Mike

19.5 gram close up

195gramcloseup1.jpg

Look at the chondrule saying "HELLO!"

Maggie the Meteorite Mutt taking a break already-

Maggiein-situ1.jpg

I think we had only walked about 1 mile and she was already worn out! :laught16:

Sniff them out Maggie... sniff out the chondrites (yeah right I wish!).

Maggiein-situ2.jpg

She's giving me the "lets go home, I'm miserable" look.

My take for the weekend-

Drylakefinds3-23-2008.jpg

Chondrites (2)- 1.2g, and 19.5 grams totaling 20.7 grams.

Thought I had one today, it was magnetic and looked good, took it home and filed a window into it. I did see what I thought were metal specks, but the density just isn't right, so it doesn't count.

Mike and Paul as always it's a pleasure guys!

Del

Del

You are dispicable!! :Huh_anim]: I know you are making Maggie wear that pack or hydrator in the pic. :laught16:

Rick

Does this pic look familiar. If Yes, I was trying to beg gas money from tourists. :laught16::laught16: By the way the gas station shut down at 2:00pm yesterday and gas was going at $10 per gal from locals with extra fuel. What a mess around here. And a dirty trick on a few 100 people visiting the canyon.

Wayne

post-1528-1206371831_thumb.jpg

Nice finds guys...

Del, a question, if you please... Stones, stoney/irons and irons being the three main catagories and many different classifications of metorites with varying levels of iron/nickel and stone within those simple classes. So, why do you use specific gravity as a defining measure of a given stone being meteor-ish? Just curious....

Fred

Nice finds guys...

Del, a question, if you please... Stones, stoney/irons and irons being the three main catagories and many different classifications of metorites with varying levels of iron/nickel and stone within those simple classes. So, why do you use specific gravity as a defining measure of a given stone being meteor-ish? Just curious....

Fred

Hi Fred, I figure specific gravity/density is another test that can help. I'm doing this because I'm learning when your dry lake bed hunting you will come across so many different types of meteorites this is one test that I think can help narrow down the possibility of it being meteoritic. If I'm wrong about this somebody please correct me. :confused0013:

Del

Del, I understand your goal but don't see how SPecific Gravity can be helpful for space rocks that can be planetary, lunar, solar system or even inter galactic to push a point...and can consist of basically dirt, basalt, carbon or solid iron/nickel....I do see how SG will be helpful for any given meteorite; such as a gold basin or franconia. Or more generally a chondrite, pallasite, iron, etc.. I would hate to see a pile of your finds thrown out for the wrong reason...I have seen how much effort you put into the search!!!

Fred

Del, I understand your goal but don't see how SPecific Gravity can be helpful for space rocks that can be planetary, lunar, solar system or even inter galactic to push a point...and can consist of basically dirt, basalt, carbon or solid iron/nickel....I do see how SG will be helpful for any given meteorite; such as a gold basin or franconia. Or more generally a chondrite, pallasite, iron, etc.. I would hate to see a pile of your finds thrown out for the wrong reason...I have seen how much effort you put into the search!!!

Fred

Fred, I'm comparing the density/SG to this chart-

Meteorite Specific Gravity

Here's the authors "bottom line"-

"If you have a rock that is not metallic and it has a specific gravity greater than 4.0, it is not a meteorite.

If you have a rock that has a specific gravity in the range 3.0 to 4.0, it might be a meteorite. That's the good news. The bad news is that if you collect 1000 rocks with specific gravities in that range, they're probably all Earth rocks because some kinds Earth rocks are in the 3-4 range.

If you have a rock that has a specific gravity of less than 3.0, it is almost certainly not a meteorite. Most Earth rocks have specific gravities of less than 3.0. "

To recap the deductive process to help identify a "maybe" find-

1. It has to be magnetic

2. It leaves no streak

3. File a window into it and see metallic specks (white silvery color)

4. If it has a density in the 3-4 g/cm^3 range,

This test is by no means accurate (there's a large error margin) so I wouldn't base my decision solely on it. So don't worry, I'm not throwing anything out if it's not in the 3-4 range (I have a lot of meteorwrongs now). This is just something I think can help narrow down the possibility of something being meteoritic.

Again, if I'm wrong, please someone set me straight on this.

Del

Ah-so...I see some fine soul has done a load of work to assist in your determination...makes sense now. Thanks for the link

Fred

btw...done any nugget hunting this season?

Hi Fred, no haven't hunted for gold since the beginning of summer 2007. This is my first full season of meteorite hunting and I have to say I'm having a lot more luck with them than I ever had with gold. The last nugget I found was in February 2007, it was a 0.6 grammer.

I got invited to go on a gold hunting trip to Australia next month, but it was just to much of a short notice for me. I told the guy, maybe next year. It's funny, I thought about you when he mentioned it to me.

Del

19.5 gram close up

195gramcloseup1.jpg

Look at the chondrule saying "HELLO!"

Maggie the Meteorite Mutt taking a break already-

Maggiein-situ1.jpg

I think we had only walked about 1 mile and she was already worn out! :laught16:

Sniff them out Maggie... sniff out the chondrites (yeah right I wish!).

Maggiein-situ2.jpg

She's giving me the "lets go home, I'm miserable" look.

My take for the weekend-

Drylakefinds3-23-2008.jpg

Chondrites (2)- 1.2g, and 19.5 grams totaling 20.7 grams.

Thought I had one today, it was magnetic and looked good, took it home and filed a window into it. I did see what I thought were metal specks, but the density just isn't right, so it doesn't count.

Mike and Paul as always it's a pleasure guys!

Del

Del, Mike and Paul, outstanding finds guys!

I am jealous here in New Mexico!!

How far do you guys drive from your homes to get to your hunting spots? Just curious. Its 60 miles for me.

Dean

Dean I'm fortunate enough to have a sister that lives about an hours drive away from five dry lake beds I can hunt. I just have to put up with the family for the weekend to go hunting. :grrr01: Franconia is a little different though, that's a 265 mile one way drive for me.

Del

Hey Del,

You don't have to put anymore windows in them if you don't wish too. We have seen them now and know what they are. You dont have to prove anything to anyone anymore.

Nice picture though :laught16: nice METEORITE my friend

Paul

Hey Del,

You don't have to put anymore windows in them if you don't wish too. We have seen them now and know what they are. You dont have to prove anything to anyone anymore.

Nice picture though :laught16: nice METEORITE my friend

Paul

Yeah Paul, I just don't want people to think I'm not posting the real deal.

Del

Yeah Paul, I just don't want people to think I'm not posting the real deal.

Del

On that same topic, I believe using the term "suspect" stone is also acceptable when a person has found something that is very probably but he or she has not had a certified yet. I don't see any harm in that. To me, using the word "suspect" means that you have studied it and that it meets the criteria for a meteorite as you understand it. All that is left is for the big boys to test them to make 'em official. (I realize that there will be that percentage of suspect stones that turn out to be terrestrial)

Not trying to butter you up Del but, you seem to have a good understanding about meteorites. So much so that I don't think I would argue with you on any of the finer points of the subject. Looks to me like you are doing just great with hunting, and identifying them. Way cool.

Mike

Hey Del; You should try Oz if you can...get your passport now if you have any inclination to wander afar...

As to the meteorites it would be interesting to know the terrestrial age of each of the finds from any given Dry lake Bed...these lake beds have unique erosion patterns unlike other desert areas..I know that type of study is unlikely but might clarify the average disposition and distribution per square mile per thousand years...just a whimsical thought

Fred

Hey Del; You should try Oz if you can...get your passport now if you have any inclination to wander afar...

As to the meteorites it would be interesting to know the terrestrial age of each of the finds from any given Dry lake Bed...these lake beds have unique erosion patterns unlike other desert areas..I know that type of study is unlikely but might clarify the average disposition and distribution per square mile per thousand years...just a whimsical thought

Fred

Hi Fred, yeah it would be very interesting to find out the terrestrial age of meteorites on dry lake beds. I would imagine you would get a lot of different ages for different meteorites. As for the average disposition and distribution, I'm learning pretty much any surface in the arid desert regions where there's deflation is prime hunting grounds. Now trying to narrow down where they might be thats a whole different story. Just my thoughts.

Del