Nugget Shooter Forums

Anybody Hunt Nuggets With An X-Terra 70 ?

Rifleman

I just purchased a new X-Terra 70 with the 5 X 10 18.75 DD coil and the 6" 18.75 DD coil. I had a SD2100 V-2 and sold it because the weight hurt my bad back. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience out in the gold fields with the X-Terra? I'm sure it's not quite as good as the PI units, but hear it still does a pretty fair job. I hunt gold in Arizona.

Good Hunting, John K

Thanks Guys. I've only had the 70 out once and found a small piece of gold attached to a piece of caliche. It was on the ground with the gold side down. I didn't have a lot of time to spend with the detector, so I was interested in others opinions. The Minelab PI unit I had was just too heavy with my less then perfect back. At 2.9 pounds, the X-Terra will allow for longer hunts.

Good hunting, John K

I am hoping to put some time on my X-Terra 70 too and decided on the X-Terra 70 due to its versatility. After researching online for a few months, I found that 99% of the reviews were extremely positive. There are some very good field tests online too.

I only used the 70 twice and not for long. No gold but it seemed to handle the minerals very well. Better than I expected anyhow. The discrimination seemed to work really well.

I'm thinking about getting a dinking machine myself and have a thread over on my place about it. The xterra might be one to think about based on what Mike is saying. :confused0013:

Hi Ted yes the X70 is very capable-I was testing it out to see what it could do and although the 2 sub grainers were very faint I still heard them-I was using the 18.75Khz 5X10 dd E coil :headphones: the X70 would'nt be my first choice for gold beepin as I have 2 others in front of it but its nice to know that the 70 could do it if needed :icon_mrgreen: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Hi Ted the X70-I have no more-I go through beepers like socks :innocent0009: I get board with them and move on-but there are some I've came back to because the grass is'nt always greener :tisc-tisc: Right now my dinkster beeper is a XT18000-(my second one)-it will hear just as small of dinks as any other dink beeper out there and will handle the ground better :headphones: --another good dinker is the american goldstriker and handles the ground just as good :icon_mrgreen: yes there are other good dink beepers out there like the GM series(I've had the vsat-gm3-gmt) and the GB2(I've owned 3 of these) but both love hotrocks :Huh_anim]: --the XT18000 and the AGS will handle ground where the others spit and sputter :innocent0002: Hope this helps-Mike C... :ph34r2: PS- :hmmmmmm: I've been thinking about getting another X70 :innocent0009:

Hi Mike,

I had an American Goldstriker and XT17000 that did well for me, especially the XT17000. But for some reason I never took to the XT18000 or Eureka Gold. I'm not saying they are bad units, but I simply like the X-Terra 70 more. I guess I'm really not asking anything as it is probably a local mineralization and gold size thing. But you and I seem to have used and favored a lot of the same units so I figured I'd drop a few random observations.

My mine at Moore Creek has some pretty tough magnetic basalt hot rocks. The Eureka units do not seem to be able to handle them. This may sound crazy but I had better luck running the X-Terra 70 in coin mode and notching out the rocks. With the Eureka I just kept getting hits on rocks that sounded like a deep or small nugget. 6.4 kHz mode helped a lot but you can't hit squat at that freq except the really big ones.

The GMT has similar issues in that you have to use it in iron id mode and listen to "grunt, grunt, grunt" all day long while waiting for a "beep". Very oppressive. We have had better luck with the Tesoro Lobo and Gold Bug 2 in disc modes as at least you can get the rocks to shut up. The Gold Bug 2 has very poor penetration in bad ground but is great on shallow targets. The Lobo seems to have the edge for overall performance at our mine compared to the Gold Bug 2 however. At this point I'm down to the X-Terra 70 and Lobo as best VLF units for what is really a PI detecting solution at Moore Creek.

I want to try the X-Terra 70 out at the mine with the 3 KHz coil. The X-Terra 70 at 3 KHz seems hotter than the Eureka at 6.4 KHz but I need more time to prove that. Just a gut feeling at this point. I suspect X-Terra 70 may be better able to handle the hot rocks while still being able to hit larger nuggets at 3 kHz but then again I may be totally wrong. All I know is the unit is deceptively simple but the more I dig into it the more impressed I am.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve, I have been using the X70 with the 3 Khz cc coil for about a year now. I am in West Texas so no gold of course. But I found at least in my soil the 3Khz coil goes deeper and is still sensitive to small coins. I have found old wheaties as deep as 9 inches with this coil. In fact I use it exclusively. It seems to ID well at depth too. Ok I hope the 3 Khz coil worksout for you Steve.

John Tomlinson,CET :icon_mrgreen: :headphones: :twocents:

John's Detectors

Hi Steve sounds like some tough hunting conditions for any vlf and using disc is probably the best solution--basalts are tough even for the SD units- :Huh_anim]: -I had an original lobo and found my first nugget with it--I was in all metal but switched to disc to see if it was trash and the signal became very choppy-like a iron signal sounds on the tesoros when using min disc-I almost walked away from it but dug it anyways and there it was-First detected nugget- :headphones: -I rechecked it once out of the ground and it was a nice clear signal in disc and all metal--this taught me one thing that there was so much black sand in the ground that the disc was rejecting it and masking the nugget--but in all metal it was a nice sounding target--lesson learned there-no more disc while nugget beepin :icon_mrgreen: back to the X70-I always used the H coils-they got good depth and hit coins on edge really well plus I got alot of nickels---I compared it-(H coil) to the M coil and did'nt notice any differance in depth on higher conducting targets but did notice it was less sensitive to lower conducting targets--I did'nt get a chance to try a L coil--the X70 is a very good all around unit :headphones: although my XT18000 does'nt get as much action as my 4000-I do break it out here and there and do some dinkin with it- I always run it at 60Khz to find the smallest dinks possible-IMO-learn how to gold beep with a vlf and the PI is like a cake walk :headphones: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Hi Mike,

Our ground was made for the GPX. Every unit before the GPX-4000 generates faint signals on the hot rocks and so you just ignore them. But then you miss really deep or really small gold. Dan Judd came up to our mine, and the patient guy he is he dug a pile of hot rocks. What he also got was small gold that was missed. But he did finally come up with a deep 1 oz nugget that everyone esle missed.

Yeah, almost any nugget will read as iron when you get to the edge of VLF detection depth. The MXT at Ganes Creek it got to be standard practice to run in Relic Mode which is dual tone. Lo ferrous and hi non-ferrous. But if you got a ferrous reading you'd always want to knock off an few inches quick, andsometimes a ferrous reading will switch to non-ferrous. The problem using the Gold Bug 2 or Lobo in disc mode is the rejected item does not beep at all, and so you never know what you missed.

That said I've dug pounds of gold with VLF units in disc modes. I figure it is all about what I'm finding. I know miss gold but it does not bother me much as I'm happy with what I get.

Good day for me today. Just got some new claims I've been after for a long time. Life is good!

John, I'll let you know how it goes with the X-Terra 70 up at the mine this summer.

Steve Herschbach