Nugget Shooter Forums

Whites DFX

Billy Bob

Hi all. I was just reading some older posts and seen there are some of you using Whites. Make a long story short, did I waste my $1000 5 years ago when I bought one?

It seems to be the most complicated piece of equipment I've ever seen. I tried using it in Ca. and all I got was a bunch of screaming and other weird noises. I know gold doesn't sound anything like that. It has what they call a prospector mode, which I could not make heads or tails. My intention is to buy a Gold Bug2, but don't know about that either after reading different forums on the subject. I'll be going to Az. in about 2 months, so I have to decide which way to go with the detectors. Input me!!!

bill

Any metal detector will find gold it it is large enough and close enough to the surface.

That said, the DFX is not a good nugget detecting unit. Its fine for coin hunting at parks, schools and the like.

The MXT is a better all around nugget and coin shooting detector, but the PI detectors are best at most locations in AZ.

Chris

Any metal detector will find gold it it is large enough and close enough to the surface.

That said, the DFX is not a good nugget detecting unit. Its fine for coin hunting at parks, schools and the like.

The MXT is a better all around nugget and coin shooting detector, but the PI detectors are best at most locations in AZ.

Chris

Chris....in other words, I wasted $1000 when I bought the DFX. I had already accepted that fact when I tried it in Ca. for gold. I have kind of turned my back on all Whites because the one I have to way to complicated to operate. I need something a girl can operate. You didn't say anything about the GB2 as that is the detector I have in mind.

bill

BillyBob I think that you may need help operating the DFX as it is one simple turn on and almost go type machine. All you have to do is hit power, then hit enter for the main menu and preset options, then hit enter again and click on coins, hit enter again and raise the coil to the waist and wait for the beep and then hit enter again and put the coil on the ground and wait for the beep. You are now ready to go. As Chris says you can try a MXT but if you think a DFX is complicated you will have problems with a GB2 until you learn to manual ground balance. Your DFX is a great coin machine and worth more than a used MXT or GB2. Another option is a Lobo Super Trac, plus several other options including Minelab. If you buy from a reputable dealer they will also train you on a gold machine. Buying one from a mailorder catalog is ok if you know what you want and how to operate it, but personal service from a local dealer is much more important. Not meant to run you or your machine down as I also have a DFX, but just trying to give some honest advice and help as I have been in the same situation you are in. Jerry

Billy Bob - If I may, You didn't waste your money on that detector. Consider yourself lucky that you bought a White's DFX, because they have held their value as well as any other VLF unit. You have solid value there for trading or selling. It's like having money in the bank. Check out the going rate for the DFX before you sell or trade.

I think your best bet would be to sell your DFX, add maybe five to 8 hundred to the proceeds and snag a used Minelab PI unit like the SD-2100, SD-2200D, GP Extreme or even a GP-3000 if you get real lucky. A modified SD-2000 is still a good contender for even less money. Sometimes these show up rather reasonable.

However, there's been talk of a couple of new White's machines on the horizon, so I would sell the DFX soon. That way you can avoid the scenario of the new machines knocking the DFX out of the top spot at White's. That's what the DFX did to the XLT Spectrum, although it still brings a halfway decent price. Come to think of it, it took about a year before the DFX planted a boot in the XLT's biscuits - so you have some time yet.

If you go for a VLF gold machine, I've had quite a few of them, and they're fine until you get into heavy mineralization or that alkali desert soil - especially when it's damp or worse yet - WET. I've owned and used a White's V-Sat, 4b, GMT and MXT. All good units - still have the MXT. Also a Tesoro Lobo, a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, and Tesoro Diablo Micro Max - the lightest of all of them. I still have these last 2. Also had a Fisher Gold Bug. Also a Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger. Also a Gold Mountain Gold Scorpion. Also a Compass Gold Scanner Pro. Also had a Minelab Gold Striker, a X-Terra 70 and last and best, the SD-2100. Still have the X-Terra 70.

My favorites of all of these? #1 = Minelab SD-2100. #2 = most of the above with the exception of the Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger and Gold Mountain Gold Scorpion. Favorite back packer? Hands down the Tesoro Diablo Micro Max. Super light, very sensitive and breaks down to fit into a back pack, and uses the same coils as the Lobo Super Traq. Bottom line is all of these will do a decent job of finding gold. More importantly, you must pick one or two gold detectors and learn them well. It takes a lot of hours of swinging before you get the knack of what the machines are telling you. Also, be sure to pick a gold machine from a company that's still in business.

It may sound like a bunch of different crazy noises, but it's a language you must learn through dedicated persistence. There are quite a number of dedicated nugget hunters on this website that could teach me a whole lot about nugget and meteorite hunting. If you think I sounded like I knew my stuff here, think again, because I'm just a humble student in this field compared to a bunch of teachers. You can learn a lot right here. BTW, I moved far away from the gold fields 5 years ago and haven't chased down any yellow metal since. I'm still having withdrawals! :angry-smiley-010:

Just my 2 zincs,

Terry B

Well dang guys.....Now I'm really getting confused. Here I am with a a DFX that I don't know how to use on gold and that's what I want...GOLD!!! I used it for coins and junk and it's ok for that. But when I put it in prospector mode....poof. There are just too many adjustment to make and it still doesn't do what I want. Maybe I should just keep it till I get to Bills store and have him give me some pointers. I know I'm doing something that's not right. He can maybe point his finger at it and it will start working for me...http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/style_emoticons/smileone/headphones.gif

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/style.../headphones.gif

In the mean time, I'll just keep reading your posts.

bill

Bill, As Reno Chris said the DFX is not a good nugget finder, I've had one for 7 years and use it for coins and relics, a great detector when you learn how to use it, I have found gold rings with it using my own settings, but it will not pick up small nuggets. If your just after gold then you should sell it and talk to Bill about a Minelab, in my opinion the best for gold in AZ. Sorry about the DFX it is a great detector for coins and relics, but takes about a year to master it. Good luck. John

Hi Billy Bob,

I'd agree that the DFX is not my choice for nugget detecting. But that said I know I could find gold with it.

"There are just too many adjustment to make and it still doesn't do what I want".

What exactly are you wanting? Do you have any prior detecting experience? Some people new to detecting just expect to buy a detector and go dig up some gold. It is not that easy.

In a nutshell go to the Prospecting Mode. Use it as is, but if possible I'd bump the Gain up one notch. Get the 6" elliptical DD coil to maximise the sensitivity to small items and reduce ground effect. The stock coil is not what you want to be using in highly mineralized ground.

If the unit is too complicated, and I'd not argue with that, there are simpler alternatives for less money. You could get one of those options for pretty much what you can sell the DFX for used. I'd be talking to the dealer you got it from and asking about a possible trade as it sounds like you maybe did not get all the info you needed about the DFX before buying it. I often get people wanting to buy a DFX and I always ask if they are looking to prospect. People often assume more money means a unit is better. The DFX was designed for silver coins in parks. A unit like the MXT is a simpler and better prospecting machine for less money and I would advise anyone of that. Or the Tesoro Lobo, etc. or as some have suggested perhaps a used Minelab SD. But no matter what you get it will take time and practice to learn the detector. Figure about 100 hours of diligent detecting to get good with a unit.

Detecting is like learning a musical instrument. Anyone can pick up a guitar and strum a bit or play chopsticks on a piano. But to get really good requires practice and lots of it. So it is with detecting.

Steve Herschbach

You Said,

Detecting is like learning a musical instrument. Anyone can pick up a guitar and strum a bit or play chopsticks on a piano. But to get really good requires practice and lots of it. So it is with detecting.

I Say........HERE HERE !!! You are so correct.

Hi as already mentioned the dfx is a alright coin beeper but will really struggle in mineraized ground where gold likes to hide-if you want and all around beeper that does a fair job at nugget beepin I'd suggest a xterra70-IMO :innocent0002: -more sensitive to gold than a mxt-liter-multi tones and only runs off of 4 AA batteries--but if want a good gold beeper then buy one just for gold-theres lots of choices out there--good luck :headphones: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Hi Mike,

I have an X-Terra 70 myself and really like it. Fabulous all around unit and the Prospecting Mode is hot. It will pretty much do anything a DFX will do but costs less, is lighter, and is a better prospecting detector.

About the only reason I keep my DFX is I have a Bigfoot coil for it that I like to use hunting parks or sports fields for jewelry.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve,

You are not alone in your thoughts and I have been after Minelab to make a similar coil to the BF as I am sure you have. I know several hardcore Whites users that have their eye on X-70s or EX-SE, but like having that Bigfoot option. Whites made one heck of a coil there for (in my opinion) one heck of a good line of detectors. I sure found allot of gold with their beepers before Minelab figured out a way to silence AZ hot soil... :icon_mrgreen: :innocent0009:

Billy Bob...If ya plan on hunting gold the Southwestern US...Get a Minelab PI! Just my :twocents: For all around hunting XTerra-70....

Lovin' the PI and itchin' to play with a 4500, Bill

Hi Steve always good to hear your opinion as you use them all and are not brand loylal or trying to sell something :tisc-tisc: I have a F75 right now that I'm testing out and so far I'm real happy with the results I'm getting :icon_mrgreen: -I have'nt had it out in the gold fields yet to see how it will handle the AZ ground--but I think it will do a good job :headphones: I'm not brand loyal either-I've been through alot of beepers-gold and coin to see what their all about and if they suck I'm not afraid to say it-I only use what works best for me and not what Joe Shmo says is the best-be it bounty hunter-fisher-whites-tesoro etc... :innocent0009: -right now I have tesoro-fisher and minelabs-differant tools for differant jobs :hmmmmmm: -Mike C... :ph34r2:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words. We obviously think alike.

Bill, you sure got that right. The Bigfoot is the kind of coil I'll buy a detector for. The only other option is the Tesoro Cleansweep which may even be superior as a coil but Tesoro does not make a unit that will let me notch out coins for jewelry hunting so I prefer the DFX. I may get into meteorite hunting though, and am thinking of a Tesoro Lobo with a Cleansweep coil on it as my tool for the task.

These coils have little depth but are light and cover the ground. And for jewelry hunting depth is not always very important. Ground coverage and rapid target recovery counts for more in my book.

I suggested to that other brand of aftermarket Minelab coil that they make a Bigfoot type coil for the SD/GPX units. One for the X-Terra 70 would be awesome.

Bad news is the guy who made the Bigfoot coils died and they are no longer available. They were an after-market coil. I've been after White's to make a similar coil in-house. But I've got mine!

Steve Herschbach