Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paseclipse

Gettin the hang of it...

Boy what a weekend to hunt for meteorites! Wind, wind, snow, cold wind, and more wind. After putting up with 40+ mph winds I managed to do pretty good. I can't imagine how many miles I walked but it was well worth it. Here's my take-

Started pretty late on friday (2 pm), a half hour in I was casually walking up to poke a rock and this "mass" snapped onto my magnet when I tapped it-

277gramin-situ.jpg

A 27.7 gram beauty!! Woohoo what a way to start the weekend hunt! :woohoo:

The close up-

277gramcloseup.jpg

A few hours later-

41gramin-situ.jpg

A 4.1 grammer!

The close up-

41gramcloseup.jpg

Not a bad haul for only four hours of hunting! :cool:

Met up with Mike on saturday and got skunked. Here's Mike's post for our hunt-

Saturday hunt with Mike

Oh well I really can't complain after the previous days finds. :shrug:

Went back out on sunday and fifteen minutes into my hunt-

27gramin-situ.jpg

A 2.7 grammer!

Close up-

27gramcloseup.jpg

I searched for the rest of the day and nothing. Oh well, at least I got one so it was worth it.

After getting home, I decided to check my "meteorwrongs" on a magnet. All of them were wrongs, but I had one that made that distinctive familiar snap to the magnet-

19gramcloseup.jpg

A 1.9 grammer! What a way to end the weekend!

And here's my whole take for the weekend dry lake bed hunting-

3-16-2008DryLakeFinds.jpg

Here's the totals-

Chondrites (4)- 1.9g, 2.7g, 4.1g, and 27.7 grams totaling 36.4 grams.

My legs are sore and my face is a little chapped from braving the cold dry 40+ mph winds, but I've not nothing to whine about because all the hard work and effort paid off! :woohoo:

Del

Good going Del :icon_mrgreen:

It's always hard with pictures but that large piece looks a little suspect. It doesnt seem to have any fusion crust and looks somewhat porus? Pictures can be deceiving. :confused0013: Maybe a window will tell the tale. Congrats and keep em coming. :whoopie:

Hi Del, Roger and All

I think for once Roger might be right ?? :laught16: Roger is world renowned for declaring leaverites as space rocks !! :Huh_anim]: The pieces on the sides look like probables ?? But the top and bottom pieces need to be windowed :innocent0009: ?? I've found lots of magnetic leaverite rocks on drylakes. :tisc-tisc: A window in each is the best bet and won't hurt thier inherant value :confused0013: . Pictures are a tough one to tell but I'm guessing the top and bottom pieces are meteorwrongs :twocents: . I hope I'm wrong ? :hmmmmmm: Happy Huntin John B.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. See this is exactly why I love this forum, I get feedback from experienced hunters like you guys.

It appears the fusion crusts on these pieces have weathered off and maybe the "porous" spots are where the metal specks rusted out? I thought the same thing untill I looked closer at them and you can clearly see the metal specks and chondrules. The very first one I found in this place (attached) is kind of a hybrid, it has a nice piece of fusion crust still on it and the rest had weathered off. This was the reason my "meteorwrong" ended up in that pile, because it is a fully crusted piece and I was focusing on something that looks a little different. That one just happened to jump to my magnet and I kept it.

When I met up with Mike on saturday he had a close look at the 27.7 and the 4.1 grammer and agreed they are most likely meteorites. Though he did say they looked "different" and he advised me to file a window into the 4.1 grammer. After getting home and cleaning them up, I took a closer look at all the pieces and you can clearly see the metal specks and chondrules in them and this is why I decided to not file a window into them. I know Mikes in the field right now so when he gets back I hope he'll throw his :twocents: in on my finds here.

I'll try to get some more close up pics of some of the features on these, but I'm at work right now and I'm very limited with what I can do, so please bear with me. It sucks because trying to tell from pics is always hard, I really wish you guys could see these in person.

Maybe the attached pic will help. I've circled a rusted out metal spec on the 27.7 grammer and I also attached some close ups of the first one I found in this location. Have a look at the pic that has the partial fusion crust on it and please let me know what you think because everything I found this weekend has the same color, density and texture as the first one I found (except for the full crusted one).

I'll head to my local colleges Geology department tonight and try to get some pics through the microscope and throw them on Photobucket and post the links.

The thought has crossed my mind to overnight these to Ruben so he can have a look at them. What do you think Ruben? :confused0013:

FirstLakeBedfind1.jpg

FirstLakeBedfind2.jpg

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it.

Del

post-890-1205861264_thumb.jpg

Hmmmmmm :hmmmmmm: , that could be the reason I haven't found anything as of yet on the lakes I've hunted. All but the last one look like normal rocks...I guess I'd better re-educated myself to meteorites again. Jason :;):

Hey Del,

I suggest u put a window in one of the smaller pieces. I understand that it is very hard to tell from a picture but the largest one doesnt look real convincing to me( :twocents: ) You really cant go off someone telling you they think it probably is but it just looks "different". I will say that Mike is right more often then he is wrong but to be 100% sure put a window in it. Then there is no question.

See ya soon

Paul

Hey Del,

I suggest u put a window in one of the smaller pieces. I understand that it is very hard to tell from a picture but the largest one doesnt look real convincing to me( :twocents: ) You really cant go off someone telling you they think it probably is but it just looks "different". I will say that Mike is right more often then he is wrong but to be 100% sure put a window in it. Then there is no question.

See ya soon

Paul

Yeah your right Paul, won't know for sure until there's a window filed into it and you can see the metal specks. Then there's absolutely no question. There's a flat surface on the 2.7 grammer that isn't real pretty, so maybe I'll file into it there.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll file into it, take pics, and post for everyone to see.

I have to admit I'm a little nervous doing this, but if it has to be done for verification then so be it.

Del

Hey Del,

Its common practice for us (Mike and I) to bring anything that looks good home and put a window in it. Just to make sure it is or isnt. That takes away any question then u keep it or toss it and its done. I sure hope thay are all good. cant wait to see pics.

Paul

Alright guys, I filed a window into the 2.7 grammer and here's the pic showing the metal specks-

Specks.jpg

Dang this was hard to get a really good pic of!

Del

Not that it matters im voting no on the 1st but the rest look good. BUUUT HEY AT LEAST YOU GUYS ARE GETTING OUT....JEEZ I CANT EVEN AFFORD THE GAS TO GET THERE SO IF YOU SEE A GUY ON A BIKE CAN YOU STOP AND GET ME.

Man, I got to tell you that your 27g in the pic looks like a piece of basalt. If i had not seen it with my own eyes I

would say sorry man, not a meteorite.(looks WAY BETTER in person!)

Nice window in the 2.7g piece, that tells you that you got the real thing.

I found one out there today. Very different looking meteorite. At first I was

very skeptical. I thought it was, then I thought it wasn't, but it had the right pull to it (just felt right). After 7.5 miles and 10hrs it was the

only rock of its kind that I came across. As soon as I got home I put a window in it.

It had little nickel iron specks. They are little. Kind of hard to get a good pic of them but they

are there. Paul ran up to my house to take a look at it and agreed it is one.

I am learning that meteorites can some times not look all that good. So if your not

sure, bring it home and put a window in it.

Picture041.jpg

Picture033-1.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Mike

Alright guys, here's pics of all three sides of my 27.7 gram find-

277gramcloseupside1.jpg

277gramcloseupside2.jpg

277gramcloseupside3.jpg

Again, I know it's hard to tell from a pic, but maybe these will help. Sorry it's hard for me to take the file to it because it's just to pretty. Hopefully these pics will help shed some light on these finds.

**Did a few tests-

They're all magnetic

Filed a window in one and saw tiny metal specks

The one I filed the window into didn't scratch on my streak plate

Density worked out to be 3.46 g/cm^3, compared it to this link-

Meteorite Density

Besides getting them classified, what more can I do to find out if I've found meteorites here? Should I maybe get that Allertest Ni test kit so I can test for nickel? :feedback:

Del

**- Added later

Del,

Quote........"I took a closer look at all the pieces and you can clearly see the metal specks and chondrules in them and this is why I decided to not file a window into them." Unquote

I do not see metal specks and chondrules in this specimen, Does not look like a meteorite to me, put a window on that sucker and if it is, you will have a good flat surface to make it sit still when you display it. :ph34r2: :unsure:

Jim

Come on Del: Just do it and be done with it!

This way we will all know one way or the other for sure. BTW, what have you got to lose anyway? Like Jim said, it will have a nice flat side to use when you display it.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Alright guys, here's pics of all three sides of my 27.7 gram find-

277gramcloseupside1.jpg

277gramcloseupside2.jpg

277gramcloseupside3.jpg

Again, I know it's hard to tell from a pic, but maybe these will help. Sorry it's hard for me to take the file to it because it's just to pretty. Hopefully these pics will help shed some light on these finds.

**Did a few tests-

They're all magnetic

Filed a window in one and saw tiny metal specks

The one I filed the window into didn't scratch on my streak plate

Density worked out to be 3.46 g/cm^3, compared it to this link-

Meteorite Density

Besides getting them classified, what more can I do to find out if I've found meteorites here? Should I maybe get that Allertest Ni test kit so I can test for nickel? :feedback:

Del

**- Added later

I'm certainly no expert but if that stone was mine, I wouldn't cut into it. I might be wrong but to me the upper picture of the trailing side shows some flow material that has flowed around the edge leaving a lip. I'd want to keep it intact like it is, 100% crusted.

BTW - I had a very knowledgeable someone tell me that you may not want to trust the Allertest Kit test result completely. No fault of the kit but some tests on some stones according to this person require more steps than simply mixing the two components to really give a good test result.

Great find. Congratulations.

Mike in CO

Hey Del...you can believe it is a space rock but wouldn't you feel better knowing it is...a window on the top where your finger is would be interesting or on the bootom like Jim said...

Fred

Hey guys, I bit the bullet and filed a window into the 27.7 grammer and I pretty much got the same results as Mike. There appears to be metallic specks in it, however they are very small. So small I know it will be difficult to get a good picture of them. However I'm gonna give it a try and post pics if I'm successful.

Thanks for putting up with me on this guys!

Del

Alright guys, here's the pics of the filed down surface on the 27.7 grammer-

277gramfiled1.jpg

277gramfiled2.jpg

Again, it was pretty hard to get a pick showing the metallic specks since they are very small and sparse.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Del

There u go, that looks good to me. It looks like mine but your pic is better at showing the little metal specks.

Maybe it could be a LL or a low L, that would be my guess.

Mike

Del,

Now there is no question!!! Well done nice find I hope to see it in person some time soon.

Paul

well its looks like i might see it sooner than i thought. :innocent0002: :innocent0009: see you sat

paul

Yep guys, there's definately no question now what I've found (thanks RM!). :woohoo:

Del

Del,

Hey fella, we said file a window, not a barn door. :laught16: :;): The inside resembles a few GB L-chondrites that I have seen that were cut and polished. I would proceed and try to get it classified.

Since you stated that it is strongly attracted to a magnet, I would tend to agree with Rob M. as to whether it might be a highly weathered H-5 or 6. Mike is right, it does look just like the one that he windowed.

The outside of that thing sure does not look like a meteorite, the lack of fusion crust, the pitting and the shape, all lend toward meteorwrong. What kind of tumbling action has been afforded in or around that dry lake bed?

Now that you have filed off the flow lines and the lip, plus all the fusion crust, you might just want to give it away. Will send my shipping address unless you would want to meet someplace. :;):

Congratulations on a nice meteorite----wrong----rite, when in doubt...... :idea: small window.

Darn, first time I ever been wrong...... :zapped: At least I was in good company....

Jim

Yep guys, there's definately no question now what I've found (thanks RM!). :woohoo:

Del

I very much admire the stony even with it being filed on, and will certainly chime in with the congratulations on the find. I did however see several indicators in the photos you posted before that told me it had a very high likelihood of being a meteorite. The darker wrinkly/dimply/bumpy glassy coating is as far as i know at least part of the fusion crust on that stone. There is also evidence of material that has melted, flowed and redeposited. Some of which formed a lip in a couple places. Then there were what appeared to me to be chondrules showing through the glassy exterior. Quite a few well defined chondrules it looked to me like. I was trying to dissuade you from altering the stone for two reasons, value and probable loss of some of the overall aesthetics. However, that being said, it's your stony. If you are happy, I am most happy for you. I hope you find many more just like it. I am glad you shared the photos. Thanks.

All the best

Mike in CO