Nugget Shooter Forums

Dry Lake Bed Finds

Got out to a dry lake bed on Saturday with Del to do some hunting.

I think I was at it for about one hour and popped a nice little 2.4g piece.

That one piece was enough to keep us going for about 7 hours. Then I found a nice 9.9g

piece. Two minutes later I found a 5.7g piece. By this time it was all most dark. I found a little black one

on the way back to the truck. At first I was not sure if it was one. After putting a little window in it

I am sure now.

Del got 2 that have a chance of being one,hope a window will say that they are.

If not, I dont feel that sorry for him. Wait for his post :innocent0009: .

Weight is

9.9g

5.7g

2.4g

0.9g

Picture036new.jpg

Picture035new.jpg

Picture033new.jpg

Picture045new.jpg

Mike

Here's the pics from our hunt-

Mikes first find-

MikesFind24gramin-situ.jpg

A 2.4 grammer

Mike pointing to his second find of the day-

MikesFind99gram1.jpg

He's pointing at this-

MikesFind99gramin-situ.jpg

A gorgeous 9.9 grammer!

Mike showing off his new find-

MikesFind99gram2.jpg

And a close up of his 9.9 grammer-

Mikes99gramcloseup.jpg

Mikes third find of the day-

MikesFind57gramin-situ.jpg

A 5.7 grammer!

The close up-

MikesFind57gramcloseup.jpg

darn you kicked butt Mike! :wubu: But man that wind beat the crap out of us! I Had a lot of fun and thanks for coming out again. It sucks to get skunked but hey it happens. Oh well... I really can't complain. :laught16:

Del

And a close up of his 9.9 grammer-

Mikes99gramcloseup.jpg

Mikes third find of the day-

MikesFind57gramin-situ.jpg

A 5.7 grammer!

The close up-

MikesFind57gramcloseup.jpg

darn you kicked butt Mike! :wubu: But man that wind beat the crap out of us! I Had a lot of fun and thanks for coming out again. It sucks to get skunked but hey it happens. Oh well... I really can't complain. :laught16:

Del

Mike,

Tearing it up as usual I see. Congrats!!!

Dean

• 2 years later...

I don't understand why these are meteorites. One sample does show what looks like rust. But other than that, can someone explain what details I should be looking for in these photos to understand why these have been identified as space rocks?

Rawaccess, there are several things to look for when hunting meteorites on the dry lake beds. There are a number of posts in this forum that might help you and I'll let you surf through those at your leisure. But, first they stick to a magnet, they have "thumb prints" or Regmaglypts, and as you noticed rust in various spots on the meteorite. Filing a window on the rock , will show a matrix of iron and nickel, thus allowing them to stick to a magnet. Hope this helps. Also, they don't look like any of the other rocks around on the lake. Jason ;)

Also, a good book to pick up is Rocks From Space, by the late Richard O. Norton.

BTW Nice finds fellows. It's been a while since I've been out, starting to get the itch...

Rawaccess, there are several things to look for when hunting meteorites on the dry lake beds. There are a number of posts in this forum that might help you and I'll let you surf through those at your leisure. But, first they stick to a magnet, they have "thumb prints" or Regmaglypts, and as you noticed rust in various spots on the meteorite. Filing a window on the rock , will show a matrix of iron and nickel, thus allowing them to stick to a magnet. Hope this helps. Also, they don't look like any of the other rocks around on the lake. Jason ;)

Also, a good book to pick up is Rocks From Space, by the late Richard O. Norton.

BTW Nice finds fellows. It's been a while since I've been out, starting to get the itch...

Thank you for your reply Jayray. I am not asking for what details or signs to look for while hunting meteorites in dry lakes beds. I am asking what details specifically in those photographs reveal those photographed rocks to be meteorites. Only one has signs of rust. None have regmaglypts, signs of entry orientation or fusion crust.

Again, I am specifically referring to the photographs.

Thanks!

Very Nice, guys!!!

Raw; I think you miss the point...the identifiable features are what one sees in the field and what the suspect rock reveals when a hunters sees it, touches it and examines it...the photos are just to share the joy over the forum...

Many people ask for an ID of some rock by use of a photo...it is rarely conclusive

fred

Rawaccess, in the pic of the 9.9 gram close up, you can see the rust spots, but they may or may not be present on some meteorites. Also, the way the meteorite looks, it is indicative of a meteorite, the "thumb prints, as mild as they may be, are there. Granted that being said, I'm sure your saying, but what makes it a meteorite? From looking at various types of meteorites, seeing the differences, i.e. the weight, color, "thumb prints", and the different characteristics, one can tell it is a meteorite. A general rule of thumb is to keep all suspect rocks for further investigation until it is or is not a meteorite. Furthermore, on the dry lakes there is a 'shore line' if you will, where the rocks from wind, ice, flooding and such have accumulated, but on the lake it's self, there may be only a few that remain. These rocks look different and "out of place", to what should be there. Again, another good indication of it being a meteorite. After roaming around on the dry lake, you get used to seeing what is a what isn't a common lake bed rock. Mike has found his fair share and then some, so he knows what to look for. Take care for now, Jason. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice space rocks and great pics,

I have yet to make my first meteorite hunt, but still planning it in my head and researching dry lake beds. I do have a question. Does the geologic process of a dry lake bed bring the meteorites to the surface or is it safe to assume there are some just below the surface waiting to be found with a metal detector?

Dale