Nugget Shooter Forums

march 2008 franconia

Well we went out to franconia for the first time

in a while. My dad and i both had the flue

but we were crazy enough to meet up with

del and hunt some new spots and a few old.

My dad broke 100 grams with a 148.9 gram stone.

1-8.jpg

Dad's Total- 5g, 32.5g, 148.9g both irons total to .4g for 186.8 over all.

2-6.jpg

Erik's Total- 89.2g, 18.5g, 8.7g, 9.1g, 1.2g for a total of 127.5g

[Erik]

Erik,

Those are some nice finds, that 148.9 gram specimen is a beauty, is it a fully crusted stone, or is there a break on the backside?

Jim

Hey it was great hunting with you guys again. I can;t see your pics since I;m at work right now, but I know there nice especially your find Ben (congrats!). I'll post my finds when I get home tonight.

Del

Hi Jim,

That larger stone of mine has no breaks , divots, or missing pieces. The crust is fully intact. It is a real pleasure to look at. Ben

Ben,

That is one nice looking whole individual. Got some nice regs on it also. I see that it was starting to salt wedge (open up) another couple hundred years and it would have been in several pieces and the burro's would have kicked them around.

I just love individual specimens like that, they display so nice and show most all the features of Franconia area material.

The strewnfield down there is starting to look like a well watered garden. Thanks for the nice pictures.

Jim

Alright guys here's my weekend take-

Chondrite (8)- 0.4g, 0.6g, 1.3g, 2.3g, 3.5g, 6.2g, 13.2g, 37.2g, and 62g totaling 126.7 grams

Irons (12)- 3 grams

Total- 20 finds at 129.7 grams

My pics-

3.5 gram in-situ

35gramin-situ.jpg

6.2 gram in-situ

62gramin-situ.jpg

13.2 gram in-situ

132gramin-situ.jpg

37.2 gram in-situ

372gramin-situ.jpg

Here's the rest-

37.2 gram close up

372gramcloseup.jpg

62 gram in-situ

62gramin-situ-1.jpg

62 gram close up

62gramcloseup.jpg

The whole weekend

Franconia3-8to3-9-2008.jpg

As always guys it's a pleasure to hunt with you. Congrats to you Ben, finally snagged yourself a big one! :whoopie:

Not a bad way to start out on your vacation guys, enjoy Costa Rica!

Del

Del,

:bowdown:

You are getting to be pretty consistent with your finds. Those are some really nice pieces and I know that you walked your fanny off to get them. That popcorn caliche patch is going to play out pretty soon. I dread the day when the reports come in from a full weekend in the field and only a couple irons and maybe a small chondrite is found. Those are some mighty fine pictures, part of what makes this the best meteorite forum out there.

Jim

Del,

:bowdown:

You are getting to be pretty consistent with your finds. Those are some really nice pieces and I know that you walked your fanny off to get them. That popcorn caliche patch is going to play out pretty soon. I dread the day when the reports come in from a full weekend in the field and only a couple irons and maybe a small chondrite is found. Those are some mighty fine pictures, part of what makes this the best meteorite forum out there.

Jim

Yeah Jim, always striving to be consistant. That patch I found is already starting to play out and I've been thinking a lot about my next move out there. I just wish the big ones came more often because I really felt spoiled there for a couple weeks. Oh well it just goes with the hobby. :shrug:

Del

Nice finds guys. Looks like you all need a weedwacker in these areas. Wish I could have made it but just started a new job with a dune buggy tour company and we are very busy right now out in the desert and dry lakes, so I will just have to start keeping my eyes open on my breaks.

Once again: Congratulations on the finds.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Ben, Erik, & Del,

Great job plucking out some nice pieces! Anyone heading out this weekend? I'll be there for a Saturday only hunt, unless I get :skunkkitty2: , then I might stay through Sunday a.m. Hope to see you guys there.

Scott