Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MookieStick

Franconia was very very good to me!

I spent the weekend hunting Franc and found some pretty gof finds. 3 irons and a chondrite. Well it was really two chondrites I picked up one fractured off the main body :). One iron was a nice little ball at 5.6 grams another was about the third the weight.

I am just going to posst a couple of the pics showing it in place. I am not going to post the weight untill I figure it out correctly. I wieghed it in a store o a cheap food scale and was SHOCKED!! In fact I think what ill do is post a pic however good and let everyone guess on the weight. In the pics Lou was kind enouh to take for me youll see a Marsheltown hand trowel I dig with that has one of Bill's larger magnets he sells stuck to the face to give you a idea of scale.

You will notice on the top of the find there is a spot evident. that is a pretty good section that popped off. After I first sat in awe I noticed a small shape that matched the shape of the section that popped off :bowdown: It was laying upside down about 1.5 -2 ft away I totaly couldnt believe it! Fit like a key. When I go back following doc visits I will look for the small pieces that are still missing. with that I need sleeeeeeeeep.

Mook

By the way thanks for the help Lou.

hey mookie, The cell phone takes lousy pics. Hopefully you can post some better ones when you post the weight on that alien rock. Enjoyed hookin up. Be lookin for ya out there.

I did get lucky first time out though. 2 small stones and a tiny iron. The stones look right to a noob space rock hunter. I'll have to bump into someone with an experienced eye before I say for sure.

Lou

franconia-1st.jpg

Hey Gorden, that stone is probably in the 600-kilo range. Congrats on your find!

Del

well here is a much more clear pic so you all can see it really is a meteorite:) Plus youll get a feel for the size of this thing. So speak up and let me know what you think.

Mookster

am trying to set up the photobucket thing please be patient...

franconiameteorite010.jpg

franconiameteorite004.jpg

franconiameteorite003.jpg

The pic showing me holding it should give you a rough idea as to the size of this thing!!!

now you all know what I look like after spending a bunch of days in the field LOL.

AWESOME! I know just how you felt when you dug it up. I am still looking for my third piece so good luck with any small fragments off of this find.

I would guess about 790grams.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

AWESOME! I know just how you felt when you dug it up. I am still looking for my third piece so good luck with any small fragments off of this find.

I would guess about 790grams.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Uhh Stan, he didn't dig that up, it was sitting on the surface.

Del

thoght i would move the cell phone pics and clean my postup. these are the photos I mentioned in my first post.

mofo1.jpg

mofo2.jpg

mofo3.jpg

Plus with the tags you can see I named the waypoint BIG MO FO

Now you all know what I look like after 3 days in the field.

Droooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

llll :WOW::WOW::WOW::yikes::yikes: :yourock: :woohoo: :escape: Ok, so I got a little carried away...WTG Mookie!!!! I'd say it's over 1000 gr. and by the look on your face, I'm sure it is. Congrats again, Jason :;):

thats nucking futs.

Way to go Gordon!

[Erik]

Gordon,

:whoopie:

HOLY-SMOKES..... :yikes: 600-kilo......... that would be 1322.77 pounds or 600000 grams.

I would guess it to be more like 750+ or - grams...............

One heck of a nice find, kinda hard to imagine a cow patty that size still sitting in plain sight anywhere in that strewnfield. But then it is a well known fact that those that have a knack for finding archaeology related artifacts, should also have a keen eye for something that stands out like a sore thumb like that beautiful specimen must have done. :;): As John B. would say... (I Think)

Jim

Wow Gordon,

That thing is Ginormous! I can't wait to hear the official weight. Congratulations on a truly outstanding find. Ben

Gordon,

:whoopie:

HOLY-SMOKES..... :yikes: 600-kilo......... that would be 1322.77 pounds or 600000 grams.

I would guess it to be more like 750+ or - grams...............

One heck of a nice find, kinda hard to imagine a cow patty that size still sitting in plain sight anywhere in that strewnfield. But then it is a well known fact that those that have a knack for finding archaeology related artifacts, should also have a keen eye for something that stands out like a sore thumb like that beautiful specimen must have done. :;): As John B. would say... (I Think)

Jim

Your right Jim, I meant 600 grams to a kilo.

Del

Hi Mooky Stick and All

Great find :bowdown: !! She's a beauty :woohoo: !!

Happy Huntin John B.

WoW :WOW: , very nice. Just sitting there right on the top :woohoo: (THATS NICE!) way to go.

Mike

Ok I have a weight envelope please. weighed out at 912 grams with the top portion sitting on it.

The real bummer thing is is I feel I may have cast my pearls before swine today. I showed a few people and one whom is a rock hound said it was hematite. I am going to sit on this one now and wait to have it looked at by as many people who have handled as many franconia meteorites as possible. He has missidentified a few things in the past but not being one to want to error on someting like this I would like everyone to take a good look at the photos again and let me know what they think.Jim your opinion would count for a lot here!!! Plus I ma going to take some super close ups so if there was anything to conirm or discount the find then so be it. I really should have handed him the drop rock Jim gave me to see if that was not a space rock either :evil1:

I will be bringing it with me now when I go to the field so everyone who wants can take a look and let me know thier opinion.

Personaly I dont think its hematite"now I am deffinetly going to be wrong LOL" There were to many things about the way I found it that makes me think no its a space rock. I have shown it to Dell posted large images of it and no one so far has said it looks wrong. I am going to take some more pics using a special magnifying lens I have that will show a wide view.

If anyone has ANY DOUBTS at all speak up. Many of you ahve handled franconias chondrites. If there is a area you want a better image of let me know and ill have them posted as soon as possible")

Mookie

Yo Gordon it sure looks like a genuine article to me. Did you find it with a detector or as big as it is did you just eyeball it? I was out there last sat. and got skunked. What side were you searching on the north or the south? Nice find hope it is the geuine article. mumbo 24

If anyone thinks it's hematite then they should be a forecaster.

besides the bad joke they are "tarded" if they think that's hematite

[Erik]

I found it on the north side over N34 46 . Basicly yes I feel its the real thing . Its just when someone that is suposed to know a little someting or at least TALKS like they do I will give them some credit. If it turns out this is a chondrite then i will not step back into his store.

I think the thing that really upset me is the way he looked at me and asked "and Who said this was a meteorite".

With that I iwll be posting the rest of the pics here shortly.

Mook

Mookie,

Most rockhounds are not educated as to what is or is not a meteorite and some rockhounds are not educated enough to identify a piece of concrete.

I personally have not seen a piece of Hematite in that whole strewnfield much bigger than your thumb.

The hematite found around this area is very lightly magnetic, I would venture to guess that your beautiful 920 gram chunk of Franconia area METEORITE is quite magnetic, a small window on the chipped off piece will probably show many nickel/iron specks. I would think that a streak test will not be the dark reddish brown that hematite shows.

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/id/streak.htm

I think that I see some nice regmaglypts on your specimen and am pretty sure that it will pass all the tests on this link.

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/Meteorite/PDF/sa_fam.pdf

Lesson learned on this thread, a few simple tests will usually remove most of the doubt about whether a find is a M-Right or a M-Wrong.

Last, but not least...........Del saw it and was impressed. He has seen enough material from that area and I would trust his opinion.

BTW........ :hmmmmmm: do not hand that rockhound that piece of hematite that I gave you for a drop rock (detector tester)... :;): :rofl2:

Jim

He probably has never really seen a stone meteorite before and probably thinks they are gnarly iron masses.

[Erik]

I am with Jim and the "Basalt" on this, if Del was there he would have known the truth and told you...your friend probably don't know his "ass from six bits and small change"...even if he is well intended (to try, with difficulty, to be charitable).

Fred

Well now that I have had some time to sleep on this I have come to some conclusions. When he was looking at them the other day the thing I noticed was the casual manner he was looking at them. He did walk over and grab a tile and streaak tested them but I noticed right away that he simply swiped a rusty portion of the crust and thus got red. I should have grabbed them and walked off when he took the 5.6 gram iron and streak tested the portion on top that had some crust on it. It provided a black streak.

This all happened so fast that unfortunatly I gave him far more credit than I should have. He commented that he shoots a lot down when people come in with possible meteorites. I guess I should start giving myslef more credit now that i have been in the field at Franconia for 7 days now actively hunting. Through meeting people I ahve handled a lot of Franc meteorites now so it shouldnt be like Im ignorant. I am still dieing to see the 75lb piece someone around there has!

With that sorry for crying wolf!

Gordon

Congrats on your 912 gram beauty! That looks like the real deal to me. Have you gotten a chance to get some closer images?

Nice job!

Scott

Last, but not least...........Del saw it and was impressed. He has seen enough material from that area and I would trust his opinion.

Why thank you Jim, thats a compliment coming from a man like yourself. Boy I wish the people over at the Sky Rock Cafe thought the same thing! :laught16:

Gordon, you've got the real deal there buddy and don't let anybody convince you otherwise! I didn't even have to put a magnet on it to know because there's no question what you have found is a meteorite. Looking at the shape, color, texture, and feeling the density of it, there's absolutely no question you scored a big Franconia area meteorite.

As for the rock hound telling you it's hematite, Gordon you should realise most people have no clue what meteoritic chondites look like nor do they even know that they exist. Thats probably because (like the kid gooroo states above) the large majority of people think all meteorites look like iron meteorites and they have no clue that chondrites make up the vast majority of meteoritic finds. Lets put it this way, last semester I was taking a Geology class at my local college and I showed a few of my Franconia meteorites to my instructor (who has a Phd in Geology) and even he wasn't sure if I had meteorites. I had to tell him that yes they are meteorites because the local hunters out there have verified my finds for me. Then he believed me.

Trust us here, you've got enough knowledgeable Franconia hunters here telling you that YES what you have found IS the real deal.

Del