Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia hopeful first find

Well, after some great tips and direction from Kaimi AKA Stan, I believe I may have my first Franconia find. :confused0013:

The .33 gram iron flake I found, while roaming the Franconia strew field on Feb. 16 with stan, doesn't add up to a real find.

Del, while filling his bucket with Chondrites, pointed out that the next find could be just feet away.

On Saturday March 8, I was back out at Franconia in hopes of finding that Meteorite . I decided to start my search where Del had made one of his chondrite finds on Feb. 16. Go figure, this find was just feet away. Now, I'm not as experenced as most, but I think ( HOPE) this is a Chondrite. It has the appearance of a chondrite found at Goldbasin in 2002. It has all the ear- marks of a true Meteorite. It weighs approx. 21 grams and after shaving the edge with a metal file, it appears to have metal flaking inside. What do you guys think????

KGMRG AKA Richard

post-3321-1205206122_thumb.jpg

Hi Richard,

That is a neat looking stone. I am looking over my franconia chondrites as I type this and I dont have any that look like that. That does not mean that it isnt one. That is only a comparison to the stones that I have. It is often hard to tell from a photo so I suggest you show it to someone who has some Franconias Here are pictures of some of mine to compare with. I hope this helps until someone can see it first hand.

Paul

post-1574-1205209392.jpg post-1574-1205209370.jpg post-1574-1205209350.jpg

Aloha Richard,

Good job guy. I guess that GMT works pretty good after all eh? Sure looks good to me. Hang onto that one and when we meet again make sure you have it with you.

Congradulations on the nice find.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Richard, WTG!!!! It does look a bit different, can you take a pic of the metal flakes? It could be due to some desert patina and shine on the surface itself. I have one or two that look a bit different as well. Congrats again, Jason. :;):

Hi Richard,

That is a neat looking stone. I am looking over my franconia chondrites as I type this and I dont have any that look like that. That does not mean that it isnt one. That is only a comparison to the stones that I have. It is often hard to tell from a photo so I suggest you show it to someone who has some Franconias Here are pictures of some of mine to compare with. I hope this helps until someone can see it first hand.

Paul

Thanks Paul I appreciate the help.

Richard

post-1574-1205209392.jpg post-1574-1205209370.jpg post-1574-1205209350.jpg

Aloha Richard,

Good job guy. I guess that GMT works pretty good after all eh? Sure looks good to me. Hang onto that one and when we meet again make sure you have it with you.

Congradulations on the nice find.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Stan and All

Thanks I appreciate the comments, though I am concerned that I might be wrong :outtahere:

I'm adding a second image from another view.

Richard

post-3321-1205222721_thumb.jpg

To all

This is the image of my Goldbasin Chondrite. As you see I cut it in-half. The metal specks seen in the Goldbasin Meteorite

are also seen in the Franconia specimen that I filed on. Sorry about the resolution of the image :tisc-tisc:

The Franconia specimen has a darker shell, but in all other details appears to be the same. I guess the only other thing I can do is slice it open . I do have concerns that it might be a Meteor-wrong. Your opinions are appreciated.

Richard

post-3321-1205226648_thumb.jpg

Richard, just slice the end of the suspect meteorite. Don't cut it in half, and make the mistake I made cutting a nice little GB in half to see the inside :innocent0009: . It does look different :hmmmmmm: , but nothing would surprise me at this point coming from Franconia. Jason :;):