Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wadnobie

Tire Sealants

I'm getting ready to head out to cactus country and was wondering about the groups opinion on the use of (Slime type) tire sealant for the quad. Do you use it before a puncture as a preventative? Or, do you wait until you have a problem and then deal with the individual tire? I have the usual stuff to fix a flat but

wanted to find the easiest way out of a possible bad situation. :confused0013: Thanks, Perry

I've keep the kid goin on his bikes an 3-wheeler by useing slime and fix-a-flat before I turned 'em loose to all the goatheads etc. Adding these first will help I'm sure.

Perry I use Slime in my tires on my quad, in fact I am putting new tires on and will divide a gallon bottle between the 4 tires for protection from thorns...WORKS GREAT....

I also carry a tubeless tire kit with extra plugs and a compressor just incase...saved me a time or 2 already.

It has saved me too.

Prepping for flats is worth it's weight in gold.

It is a bad feeling to be a speck on a map somewhere

and not have a compressor and a tire fix kit.

I know...

Flak

Hi Perry

By all means pre slim your tires and always carry a plug kit and compresser :tisc-tisc: !! I hope your quad has a cigerette lighter outlet :hmmmmmm: ?? Happy Huntin John B.

Thanks all for the advice, I will Slime up before the trip. Rick, will be up at GB next week perhaps you could make a run up that way. And John I'll be

a--hole and elbows picking up beer cans from your place. Still looking to find something at GB and will give it a real shot this time. :icon_mrgreen: --Perry--

Perry they sell it by the gallon at Wally's world. It's cheaper than at the auto parts store. Jerry

Yup slime away, but still carry a plug kit...I had a 5 plug hole in my quad tire (five twisted together) and the slime wouldn't stop that one. I will stop most others though.

Bill

Another trick that works great is Alumiseal radiator sealant mixed with antifreeze.

For big off road tires about 1 of a bottle per tire, small quad tires I would imagine you could do them all with 2 bottles.

Take a gear oil bottle or something like it hook a 1/4" hose to it to make your dispenser.

Shake up your alumiseal real good and pour it in your dispenser, then refill the empty alumiseal bottle with automotive antifreeze and shake it up again to get all the seallant, then pour that into your dispenser bottle.

Take the valve core out of the valve stem, and force your sealant into the tire. Drive to ditribute.

It really works good!

Plus I alway carry the ol plug kit and compressor or CO2.

I am new to quads and would like to know what all I should take with me with requards to maint. How do you get a compressor to work in the sticks. Eny info would be helpfull. I will be in the mts. around Happy Camp, Ca.

Jmax most quads have a cigarette plug in and if not just put aligator clips on a 12 volt compressor. Jerry

Okay, I'm ready to go. Went to Wally World and picked up a gallon of Slime and just finished with the last tire. Also have a CO2 plug kit and a 12 volt compressor just in case. Thanks for all the suggestions, as you can see I used most of them. :bowdown: --Perry--

AIR PRESSURE!!! Always use the The recommended air pressure for your type tire, too much air pressure can (1) Cause loss of control of your atv.(2)Add to the posibility of a tire puncture.(3)Change the over all ride of your atv.Less then recommended tire air pressure (1) Cause loss of control of your atv (2) can cause your tire to de-bead it's self, or detatch from the rim.and then your up s--t creek,because it takes much more air pressure to pop a tire bead back into place than a 12 volt air compressor can put out. (never ride on a flat tire) as we all know will cause more damage to tire and rim and also may put you in a ditch. slime is the way to go as a back-up and having the right tools and parts will ensure you make it back to your truck safely. Have fun but know your limits.

T-Bone

One thing to remember on this. A friend of mine that puts alot of miles on his quad every week did that same thing, but had trouble because the sealant he used was water based and rusted out his rims. Just something to check before you buy.