Nugget Shooter Forums

My best looking Franconia

Got to go up to Franconia for a day hunt on Saturday.

Found my best looking piece of Franconia to date.

Del,nice to have seen you and Stan up there(nice finds you guys).

Got to chat a little with, Larry and John and sorry cant remember the other guys name.

Always good to grab as much info from guys like that when you can(Thanks).

212.9 grams

3-1-08003.jpg

3-1-08022.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Mike

Mike,

That is a nice looking meteorite :whoopie: !! I was out Saturday as well. I didn't see you guys... I found my biggest meteorite to-date, 243grams, but it doesn't look half as nice as yours. I have pics and will post them later. I was really hoping to meet someone to hunt with, it is getting boring by myself.

Once again, that is one beautiful piece :bowdown: !

Scott

Mike that is one of the prettiest meteorites I've seen come out of Franconia. Congrats! :whoopie: I can't wait to see the picture when I get home tonight.

Hey Scott I seem to remember you scored a California dry lake find of 399 grams-

California Find

So how is 248 grams your biggest find to date? :shrug:

Del

Hey Scott I seem to remember you scored a California dry lake find of 399 grams-

California Find

So how is 248 grams your biggest find to date? :shrug:

Del

Del,

Sorry, I meant to say it was my biggest Franconia meteorite to date.

I have seen some of your most recent posts Del, you are doing great at Franconia :whoopie: ! Keep it up! You deserve every one of your finds considering all the long hours you put in out there :wubu: .

Scott

You can see a lip on it. There are some small flow lines too, better looking in person.

Here are some more pics. One pic is of the piece that is missing. From the look of it I would think

it popped off when it was coming down. Compared to my other Franconias it is different looking(never know)

Mike

Picture0311.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Mike,

That is a nice looking meteorite :whoopie: !! I was out Saturday as well. I didn't see you guys... I found my biggest meteorite to-date, 243grams, but it doesn't look half as nice as yours. I have pics and will post them later. I was really hoping to meet someone to hunt with, it is getting boring by myself.

Once again, that is one beautiful piece :bowdown: !

Scott

It's funny Scott because we all saw you (blue jeans and a white t-shirt right) and you definately avoided contact with any of us. Heck I even walked towards you at one point because I thought you were someone else I know, but you stayed hidden away and didn't come out. I don't know, maybe you thought I didn't see you or something? :shrug:

Del

You can see a lip on it. There are some small flow lines too, better looking in person.

Here are some more pics. One pic is of the piece that is missing. From the look of it I would think

it popped off when it was coming down. Compared to my other Franconias it is different looking(never know)

Mike

Picture0311.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Awesome space rock Mike! The lip and flow lines are something else!!

The way your going I wouldn't be surprised if you find the piece that popped off that beauty.

You never know! Congrats.

Dean P.S. Lisa says hello.

Aloha,

Just got back since I stayed one more day. haha!!

That is one bootiful rock. And yes it does look even nicer in person. Very colorful and what I consider a "real" meteorite. It is just hard to describe. You guys rock!

Getting real hard to find anything out there anymore so this one is extremely awesome.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Socalnovice: Man we could spot you a mile away if that was you wearing a white t-shirt and jeans. I also caught sight of you from the hilltop. You gotta love them camo outfits Del and i wear.

Mike, that is one of the prettiest, ugliest rocks I've ever seen :ROFL: :hmmmmmm: :wubu: . Man you guys scored this weekend!!!! :yourock: Sounds like everyone did real well. Congrats, Jason. :;):

Oh my god that is such a beauty Mike! The pics came out great, but it is a lot nicer seeing and touching it. So pretty... so pretty.. so pretty. :wubu:

Del

Hello,

After reading so much about Franconia I would like to check it out this weekend with my daughter. I have a unique metal locator I would like to try out there. My question is - how are the roads for a 2WD Suburban? I have the general GPS coordinates but do not know where the actual field is - I imagine I will see a bunch of guys walking around with detectors and that will give me a big clue.... I read though that you guys walk or rv to an area 2 miles from where you camp.

Mike,

The newer pics show off the meteorite nicely. Very beautiful!! Congrats again.

Stan & Del,

Socalnovice: Man we could spot you a mile away if that was you wearing a white t-shirt and jeans. I also caught sight of you from the hilltop. You gotta love them camo outfits Del and i wear.

I am not sure who you saw in the field but it wasn't me :shrug: . I was wearing jeans with a black t-shirt and black hat. I didn't see a soul out there. I even pulled out my binoculars while eating lunch and couldn't spot anyone. Oh well, maybe next time.

Scott

HMMM! :hmmmmmm:

Okay, who was the mystery man out there wearing jeans and a white t-shirt? :feedback:

Whoever it was, he was waaaaay out there.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hello,

After reading so much about Franconia I would like to check it out this weekend with my daughter. I have a unique metal locator I would like to try out there. My question is - how are the roads for a 2WD Suburban? I have the general GPS coordinates but do not know where the actual field is - I imagine I will see a bunch of guys walking around with detectors and that will give me a big clue.... I read though that you guys walk or rv to an area 2 miles from where you camp.

BKlien...

read through the past posts and you will find several references to the strewn field...at the Franconia exit turn left and head to the r/r tracks, turn right and follow the dirt road along side the tracks to a bank with trees ( about a mile) park out of the road, cross over the tracks very carefully and quickly, cross the fence-line and start hiking and detecting...without a guide you will just have to get lucky...maybe Del will share some info....head north and easterly...the snakes are out be alert...especially if you and your companions aren't familar with critters.

Donot park there if there is any rain in the hills or desert as this is a major flood zone.

good luck

fred

...the snakes are out be alert...especially if you and your companions aren't familar with critters.

Donot park there if there is any rain in the hills or desert as this is a major flood zone.

good luck

fred

Wish you didn't have to mention the snakes.... I've been rock collecting in the desert many times but only seen snakes on the roads. Then went on a waterski trip to Lake Powell and had a little baby rattler come right to us at our campsite. It had no fear and where there's one there's more... Kinda puts a damper on things. Like a shark at a surf beach...

Barry

Mike I agree with Erik, maybe think about having it classified. That looks way different than anything I've seen come out of Franconia so far (remember I've only been hunting there for about a year). It will be a shame to have to cut that beauty, but who knows you could have a new strewnfield on your hands.

Del

Hi Mike,

That stone is one heck of a looker! My son is correct, it does not look like a Franconia or a Buck mountain. This one bears close scrutiny. I'd go for classification. Kudo's Mike, you rock.

Ben

Mike,

First off, that is one heck of a nice find and as you already know, flow lines and lipping do not always indicate orientation. That piece did separate before hitting land as you can plainly see, there is a slight secondary fusion on the broken end. I personally have seen several pieces that have had the same characteristics, however those pieces were not classified. I would venture to say that it will pair with either the Franconia or the Buck Mountain Wash H3-5. Outside appearances are not the best indication when judging whether a specimen is or is not paired to a known classification. Weathering and desert patina can play tricks with judgement. I also would advise you to try for a classification, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If it pairs, that will not hurt, for it will help define the field. Finding someplace to do a common chondrite classification from a known strewnfield, is getting very hard to do. As far as a new strewnfield, not likely in so far as there are already about 13 classifications in that small area and only 3 of them can truly be referred to as constituting a strewn field. It would be great if every beautiful piece found was analyzed and either paired or assigned a new classification, but with way over a thousand pounds of material found in the Franconia area, that is almost unthinkable.

That is definately a center-piece for any collection, if you cut it, I would make the cut on the end with the separation. Whatever you decide to do, you are the proud owner of a very nice crusted, lipped stony with flow lines. Not many meteorite hunters can say the same.

Just my humble opinion and I am far from being an expert.

Jim