Nugget Shooter Forums

who knew

Denny

Well could not work because of the rain so out to the El pasos i went.It was a quick trip and tried a new area a friend in Ridgecrest had mentioned.

Well when i got there it was snowing/raining/blowing all the fun stuff.

drove around waiting for the rain to stop/After about an hour of detecting i get this signal up under a bush.

Well it was a blasting cap can and it was heavy.Yippy I,am thinking i have found some ones poke.

well upon getting the rusted lid off i found something else inside. :confused0013:

A full can of old blasting caps :outtahere: :angry-smiley-010:

Well i could have hit it with my pick :innocent0009:

post-251-1203568956_thumb.jpg

Blake you bet ya

A special thanks to azu4u

The only reson i did not hit it with the pick was because of his post on using cancel with the mono when a target overloads, :woohoo:

Bill sorry about the pic my computer is not working with the resizer :grrr01:

Actually I think thats a pretty cool find. Personally I would test a couple first to be sure they are now dead as they should be being exposed to that much moisture and then put it on display. There are safe ways to find out but I'm not going to say here (liability) just in case a step is missed and things go bang. Give your local powder source a call for the particulars but that much rust on a can, I doubt seriously that the mercury fulminate is still viable.

Bob.Those caps were in darn good shape.If i would have hit it with the pick :innocent0002: :angry-smiley-010: java script:add_smilie(":mog:","smid_29")

:mog:

You may very well be correct but looking at the case I would have checked first (just me). When exposed to much water the MF will deteriorate leaving the whole shootin match inert and a really rare, cool find. Great conversation piece if safe. I would have removed some random rounds remotely and tried em out to then displayed it. Either way cool find and glad you didn't go bang.

BTW... The RF from a high output metal detector can may them pop also.

Walker you are right about the El Pasos.There is just to much area to cover.Of course the same small areas keep getting hit over and over.

Bickels camp and bonanza gulch area still produce a few,But those areas have been hit hard.

• 4 weeks later...

Was out last Sunday and found that tin again,I shot the can full of caps

Any one would have crap when it went off.All the rocks were chips.darn glad i did not hit it with the pick,As they were very much alive :tisc-tisc:

Was out last Sunday and found that tin again,I shot the can full of caps

Any one would have crap when it went off.All the rocks were chips.darn glad i did not hit it with the pick,As they were very much alive :tisc-tisc:

Glad you took care of it Denny. At least now it won't fall into some kids hands!

If I start finding shrads of metal from a blasting cap tin next time I'm out there.....I'll know why :tisc-tisc:

Gary