Nugget Shooter Forums

Washington Meteorite!

Was surfing the web and found this about the new fall in Washington.

Great Video and Report of Washington Meteor!

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/ylocalnews...&cl=6513765

If you guys find anything else on it or hear news of the impact site or ANYTHING regarding this new fall let me know!

Cool stuff...

Eric

www.MeteoriteWatch.com

I was checking into it last night, and there are some facts about this story that just don't add up. A pilot reported seeing it hit the ground in SE Adams county, but the security video footage from Boise clearly shows a high altitude explosion. Also, that fireball and explosion are pretty big in the Boise video. My guess is that it exploded somewhere between Walla Walla and Boise. It will be interesting to see if anyone can locate it.

Brian

I was checking into it last night, and there are some facts about this story that just don't add up. A pilot reported seeing it hit the ground in SE Adams county, but the security video footage from Boise clearly shows a high altitude explosion. Also, that fireball and explosion are pretty big in the Boise video. My guess is that it exploded somewhere between Walla Walla and Boise. It will be interesting to see if anyone can locate it.

Brian

I agree... It'll be hard to tell where exactly.. we're working on some reports right now from eye witnesses that say the saw the actual impact. Not a fireball but the impact itself. We'll see if that pans out.

Eric

Hi Everyone:

Locating these witnessed falls is much more difficult then any of you can imagine. I was in N Nevada one time and a group of us saw a long silver cylinder attached to a large ballon dropping out of sky from a distance. We were all sure of the exact location and went looking for it. We spent the rest of the day and part of the next searching for it and needless to say- we couldn't find it. Imagine trying to find much smaller objects.

Hi Everyone:

Locating these witnessed falls is much more difficult then any of you can imagine. I was in N Nevada one time and a group of us saw a long silver cylinder with a ballon dropping out of sky from a distance. We were all sure of the exact location and went looking for it. We spent the rest of the day and part of the next searching for it and needless to say- we couldn't find it. Imagine trying to find much smaller objects.

You're absolutely right about how hard it is! Trajectory, velocity, angle, direction, wind speed, temperature, the rotation of the earth a bird flying by. They all have an effect. It's best to wait until a local finds a piece. But Everyone know what will happen when they do. Especially if it's a more rare type like a pallasite. (we can hope) Every meteorite hunter from the east to west, and people with more money than they know what to do withh will converge on the area and interviews, questions, and money will be flying around like wildfire.

From reports from very reliable sources, there was an impact. Other reports from this morning and late last night state that the meteor disintegrated in an explosion recorded by the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network. Here's a quote from the Seattle Post Intelligencer:

"Using readings from instruments in the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, the scientists determined that the meteoroid disintegrated over the Blue Mountains about 25 miles north of La Grande, Ore., at an altitude of about 19 miles."

SOURCE: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/352143_fireball21.html

If this is true it's bad news for meteorite hunters and scientists. I know we all would love to get our hands on a fresh fall. But wait there's hope! The National Geographic website reports this:

Finding Fragments

"Preliminary analysis of the reports indicates any surviving rock fragments are located in the prairie outside the town of Pendleton, Oregon, or in the nearby Blue Mountains (see map).

Given the likely small size of any impacting fragments in a rural area, chances of recovery are slim, Pugh noted.

"Our hope is that somebody got a rock through a barn roof out there somewhere," he said."

SOURCE: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...gon-meteor.html

All that plus more... The fact is these reports don't mean much. If it hit the ground near a populated area, or hit a structure then someone will most likely find a piece of it. The facts are that know one really knows if it hit or not. We just don't know. Most likely some farmer will notice something odd in his field, call the papers and then some little town will be inundated with huge numbers of scientists, hunters, and journalists all trying to get at the rocks from space.

My hope is... It struck the ground! There are pieces out there. And someone will find them!

I can hope right? :wink2:

:icon_mrgreen:

Eric

MW

UPDATE: This just in... :)

A new report...

"findings are simply based on the fact that there was no seismic recording of any impact with the ground." Stephen Malone, professor emeritus of space sciences and former director of the seismic network

"Malone noted that the readings might be a bit off because the seismometer closest to the disintegration point has been out of commission since January. He also said he's not a meteorite expert and said his findings are simply based on the fact that there was no seismic recording of any impact with the ground."

AND from the same report...

"Even with the scientists' determination, Robert Ward, a meteorite hunter from Prescott, Ariz., said he's still convinced the meteor hit the ground. He's just waiting to see if he can get enough witness reports and videos to try to pinpoint a location."

""I can assure you there's material on the ground,"" Ward said. ""There's little to no doubt, unless it was a very friable meteorite. … It was a fairly big rock. It's somewhere on the ground.""

SOURCE: http://wenatcheeworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS03/540058745

Keep watching! There are meteorites out there somewhere.

Eric

MW