Nugget Shooter Forums

Another Newbie trying to pass off slag as a meteorite.

Hi all,

Here is yet another person trying to sell his slag as a meteorite. He seems nice enough but geez it gets old!

Here's his email, "hay men great job i have a meteor too can you help me sell it?chek youtube 'meteor on sale' and see my meteor with human face shape shadow ok help me please ."

His link:

I'm confused as to why he is so sure it is a meteorite......IT'S NOT!

Whats wierd is before when I'd recieve emails they'd ask if it was a (meteor) meteorite before getting angry. Any more they assume that it is and then get angry after being told that it isn't.

This is obvious slag!

I'm only posting this so that any novices will not be fooled and buy it. I'll try to tell him - in the sweetest, nicest way possible -that his "meteor" is slag.

He won't like it........

Hi all,

Here is yet another person trying to sell his slag as a meteorite. He seems nice enough but geez it gets old!

Here's his email, "hay men great job i have a meteor too can you help me sell it?chek youtube 'meteor on sale' and see my meteor with human face shape shadow ok help me please ."

His link:

Whats wierd is before when I'd recieve emails they'd ask if it was a (meteor) meteorite before getting angry. Any more they assume that it is and then get angry after being told that it isn't.

This is obvious slag!

I'm only posting this so that any novices will not be fooled and buy it. I'll try to tell him - in the sweetest, nicest way possible -that his "meteor" is slag.

He won't like it........

Thanks for the thread Ruben, do you know of any good sites which explain the differences between slag and a real meteor?

Thanks,

~Bob

Thanks for the thread Ruben, do you know of any good sites which explain the differences between slag and a real meteor?

Thanks,

~Bob

Good question Bob.

First lets define the word meteor. A meteor is an object from outer space (stony, iron or stony iron) that has not yet struck the earth.

A meteorite is the term used for an object from space that HAS impacted the earth.

Bob, there really isn't too much info on slag verses meteorite.

I used to think that the answer was to put out more information to educate people. However, it seems to be working in reverse. It seems like I've given most newbies just enough info to be dangerous. The odds of a newbie finding a meteorite without professional help are small, very small. The odds of one being rare are millions to one. Yet many insist that their's must be rare and thats why it doesn't fit the charatoristics of other meteorites.

Think about this: Great meteorite Hunters like Sonny, John B, Jim Smaller and others have found many thousands of meteorites each and yet only Sonny has found a rare one in the USA. For a newbie to think he has a meteorite even though it doesn't have the right charactoristics is crazy.

Here are a few tips:

A meteorite is never porous whereas slag is. If there are bubbles in your rock it IS NOT a meteorite.

A meteorite in never perfectly round whereas iron milling balls are.

If magnetic a meteorite will have some form of shiny metal inside. Hematite, Magnetite, Slag, Basalt any other minerals do not.

Only meteorites (stony)have chondrules.

All freashly fallen meteorites will have some form of fusion crust. Older falls may or may not still display fusion crust.

If a newbie has a suspect rock it is better to ask and not assume that it is a meteorite as this guy did. Even though pictures don't tell the whole story they are a great indicator and in this case his video is plently to know he's got slag.

Hi all,

His link:

This is obvious slag!

He won't like it........

What's even sadder is a few people on EBay are still selling crap as meteorites and actually getting bids on them from the unsuspecting public. :PO2: One guy from Illinios in particular has some long winded ads with very detailed information. :bs: (all of it phony) I'm not exactly sure what they are but the're not meteorites. You'd think people would complain to EBay about getting ripped off but he's still selling them. :PO2: Goes by the name "starchasermeteorites".

Steve

Good question Bob.

First lets define the word meteor. A meteor is an object from outer space (stony, iron or stony iron) that has not yet struck the earth.

A meteorite is the term used for an object from space that HAS impacted the earth.

Bob, there really isn't too much info on slag verses meteorite.

I used to think that the answer was to put out more information to educate people. However, it seems to be working in reverse. It seems like I've given most newbies just enough info to be dangerous. The odds of a newbie finding a meteorite without professional help are small, very small. The odds of one being rare are millions to one. Yet many insist that their's must be rare and thats why it doesn't fit the charatoristics of other meteorites.

Think about this: Great meteorite Hunters like Sonny, John B, Jim Smaller and others have found many thousands of meteorites each and yet only Sonny has found a rare one in the USA. For a newbie to think he has a meteorite even though it doesn't have the right charactoristics is crazy.

Here are a few tips:

A meteorite is never porous whereas slag is. If there are bubbles in your rock it IS NOT a meteorite.

A meteorite in never perfectly round whereas iron milling balls are.

If magnetic a meteorite will have some form of shiny metal inside. Hematite, Magnetite, Slag, Basalt any other minerals do not.

Only meteorites (stony)have chondrules.

All freashly fallen meteorites will have some form of fusion crust. Older falls may or may not still display fusion crust.

If a newbie has a suspect rock it is better to ask and not assume that it is a meteorite as this guy did. Even though pictures don't tell the whole story they are a great indicator and in this case his video is plently to know he's got slag.

Thanks for the information Ruben.

Hi all,

Meteorite Lady here!

I have not stopped here for a long time..how-ever I see the site is doing just fine.

I have been doing meteorite talks for metal detecting clubs in Wisconsin. So far I have done two and I am very proud of my accomplishments. I also helped out with the Kansas meteorite fund and sent a cool book for the fund raiser.

I am still hunting for meteorites here in Wisconsin, can't wait for the snow to go, because I am getting the urge to go out and hunt.

I will be sending some pictures of the many kinds of rocks I have found..I even have a few with meteorite symptoms, hoping that maybe one can be a meteorite.

Mr. Meteorite ,I have heard of your hunts and work with meteorites..Impressive work sir!

Just Happy to be back on Nugget shooter ...One of the best sites around! You can not go wrong here! That is for sure!

See you all soon!

Meteorite symptoms

Meteorites are heavier then the normal rock of the same size.

Meteorites do not leave a red color, Black color or Pencil led color on a streak test plate, because

that is probably Magnetite or Hematite.

Meteorites can be tested on a tile that is not glazed, you can use a under part of a toilet seat to test them.

Meteorites will make a compass arms move away rather then go toward the rock.

Meteorites are magnetic, but there is a kind that is not ,this how-ever is the type that is very rare and not found very much.

Meteorites can be found with any type of magnet, how-ever the rare earth magnets are the best.

Meteorites can be found with many different types of metal detectors...How-ever Whites are a good brand, but I use a Tesoro.

Meteorites will rust faster in places like Wisconsin..there here though, you can bet your but on that...

Places like Arizona are the better places to hunt...

How-ever noting this article:

A investigation by William F. Read of Geology Dept, Lawrence College....

Belmont Meteorite article fall of 1962, Say's there is almost certainly dozens of meteorites unrecognized and not reported, laying about the state of Wisconsin.

So I know they are her..I will work harder for them,but it's all for science and the fun of the hunt itself!

Good hunting and keep looking up!

My saying: Keep on rocking! :whoopie:

Hi all,

Meteorite Lady here!

I have not stopped here for a long time..how-ever I see the site is doing just fine.

I have been doing meteorite talks for metal detecting clubs in Wisconsin. So far I have done two and I am very proud of my accomplishments. I also helped out with the Kansas meteorite fund and sent a cool book for the fund raiser.

I am still hunting for meteorites here in Wisconsin, can't wait for the snow to go, because I am getting the urge to go out and hunt.

I will be sending some pictures of the many kinds of rocks I have found..I even have a few with meteorite symptoms, hoping that maybe one can be a meteorite.

Mr. Meteorite ,I have heard of your hunts and work with meteorites..Impressive work sir!

Just Happy to be back on Nugget shooter ...One of the best sites around! You can not go wrong here! That is for sure!

See you all soon!

Meteorite symptoms

Meteorites are heavier then the normal rock of the same size.

Meteorites do not leave a red color, Black color or Pencil led color on a streak test plate, because

that is probably Magnetite or Hematite.

Meteorites can be tested on a tile that is not glazed, you can use a under part of a toilet seat to test them.

Meteorites will make a compass arms move away rather then go toward the rock.

Meteorites are magnetic, but there is a kind that is not ,this how-ever is the type that is very rare and not found very much.

Meteorites can be found with any type of magnet, how-ever the rare earth magnets are the best.

Meteorites can be found with many different types of metal detectors...How-ever Whites are a good brand, but I use a Tesoro.

Meteorites will rust faster in places like Wisconsin..there here though, you can bet your but on that...

Places like Arizona are the better places to hunt...

How-ever noting this article:

A investigation by William F. Read of Geology Dept, Lawrence College....

Belmont Meteorite article fall of 1962, Say's there is almost certainly dozens of meteorites unrecognized and not reported, laying about the state of Wisconsin.

So I know they are her..I will work harder for them,but it's all for science and the fun of the hunt itself!

Good hunting and keep looking up!

My saying: Keep on rocking! :whoopie: