Nugget Shooter Forums

Az. mineshaft question...

wyldkatt7

Hello all...

Well this is probably somewhat limited to Arizona forum members, but please feel free to jump in wherever you are if you can help...

I've been getting an itch lately to go check out a mine location in Gila county that I checked out with some friends about 25 years ago...This was a claim of one of the friends who has long since passed...So there is no redily available info from that source...

Anyway, this mine consisted of 2 horizontal tunnels, with 2 vertical stopes(vents)...All were hand drilled or dug...

So apparently, "whoever" was working both hardrock, and they were working a mud-slip that the gold traveled through...There

was also an arrastre outside one of the tunnels...The arrastre had "mortar-type" joints between the stones...When we crushed those, they were loaded with both gold AND mercury...

Okay, well I want to try and re-locate this place and see if it's under claim...My question is, if I find it again, and can lay claim,

will the Dept. of mines remove dynamite from it for me??

Ya see, when I was there, about 20-30 yards inside one of the tunnels was as stack of 4 or 5 cases of dynamite...

Here's the "wyld" part...The first 2 mornings at this location, I fired a black powder .45cal handgun inside the opening of the shaft entrance, ya know, to scare off lions,tigers & bears...needless to say, THAT never happened again once we made the discovery...one for "Mythbusters" for sure...

This stuff was really cool though...Alot of the paper wrapped sticks in the cases had long ago lost the paper part and was just formed powder...and the entire stack was sitting in a pool of liquid, we just assumed was nitro-glycerin, it ran down the oak crates that had the words,"ATLAS POWDER CO., GLOBE, ARIZONA"...there may have been dates on them, but none of the seven guys I was with were willing to pick one up and look for it...

So will they come out and remove it, or will they blow it up and seal the tunnel ???

And as always, thanks folks... sure like to work that slip with a Minelab... ~wyld~

You must have had the Angels watching over you that day. If it is as old as you say the concussion might have set that dynamite off and you would not be posting right now. check with BLM first and see what they say about removal of dynamite BUT I would think they would say "Hell NO!".

Good luck on your hunt and Be Safe Out There!

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

I used to find this stuff all the time and there is good news and bad for you. To have it "removed" you need to call DPS and they will have their EOD guys "remove" it happily. The bad news for you is the way they will "remove" it. If it is as you described it will certainly be shot in place likely collapsing the drift but certainly compromising it significantly.

Good luck...

You must have had the Angels watching over you that day. If it is as old as you say the concussion might have set that dynamite off and you would not be posting right now. check with BLM first and see what they say about removal of dynamite BUT I would think they would say "Hell NO!".

Good luck on your hunt and Be Safe Out There!

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

EVERYday Kaimi... I pray...thanks

~wyld~

:innocent0002: your guardian angel was working overtime--hire a powder monkey to set a small charge of black powder and get rid of that weeping,seeping,puddle a death :twocents: then regroup with the proper equipment. DO NOT INVILVE THE STINKN' BLM-they will blow it to kingdom come and it'll take tons a cash to redig. Clean,quiet and a small bang would be most advantegous-Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Well there is another way if its close to the entrance but you didn't here it from me...

Kerosene, and lots of it. Maybe add some coal to make sure it all goes up and light her up. No big BOOM and it will all burn up in place. Needs ventilation to work so deep in will just smolder for days and still not burn it all.

Lotsa Luck is right,burn it.

5 cases of old powder if set off will be more than a small

boom. Setting it off and causing damage on your own

would be an great way to bring down the wrath of the

BLM,ATF,and several other agencies. Just report it to the

county sheriff and they will contact the right people to

dispose of it. If they blow the mountain up thats their

problem. :laught16:

BTW... Should you decide to shoot it in place or even while trying to burn it make sure you stay down range AND AROUND A COUPLE OF CORNERS because if you are in a line of sight of it when it goes high order it will certainly knock your "Richard" in the dirt with its un-contained, focused shock wave! :Huh_anim]:

Two things come to mind...

First, just wondering why one would tear up a cool old arrastre for a minute amount of gold?

And second....do not...DO NOT....attempt to deal with the dynamite situation yourself. It is more likely that something will go wrong than right in trying to remove the nitro yourself! Bad idea.

Sean in AZ

• 3 years later...

Anything ever happen with this? I once found 13 sticks of nitro-leaking tnt and burned it in place...worked fine-not even a pop!