Nugget Shooter Forums

New to the Forum as well.

My name is SPC Daniel R. Ames from Fort Bragg, N.C. I recently returned from a deployment to Iraq. I had been researching meteorites right up until my deployment, and while we were training in Kuwait, our bus got stuck in the desert. I found quite a few suspect specimens, two of which I've pictured below, and sent (the photos) to Dr. Korotev. He believes them to be genuine. I have sliced one (As shown in the photos) and sttempted the slice the larger one. It burned out the dremel blades.

Let me know what you think. I've been waiting 3 days to post on this Forum.

I've also included some of my most likely meteor-wrongs from Iraq and Kuwait as well.

post-15036-1203310216_thumb.jpg

post-15036-1203310282_thumb.jpg

post-15036-1203310306_thumb.jpg

Great finds while having to wait for the bus to get fixed and interesting way to keep busy. Nice start too! :whoopie:

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hi there an welcome to the forum. The first picture is hard to tell, but it kind of looks like a tektite, something formed after an impact from a meteorite. I am by no means an expert and pictures are sometimes hard to tell, but can you get a shot of the inside? Usually a window (filed or ground spot on the suspected piece) can "shed" some light on the subject. Cool finds otherwise, did you have to bleach them before returning??? Again, welcome, Jason. :;):

Hi there an welcome to the forum. The first picture is hard to tell, but it kind of looks like a tektite, something formed after an impact from a meteorite. I am by no means an expert and pictures are sometimes hard to tell, but can you get a shot of the inside? Usually a window (filed or ground spot on the suspected piece) can "shed" some light on the subject. Cool finds otherwise, did you have to bleach them before returning??? Again, welcome, Jason. :;):

See we are supposed to bleach rocks, sand, dirt, etc. But the new rules say asolutely no rocks. So I stuck them in my tough-box in the Connex and somehow Customs either didn't see em, or didn't care and let them go through.

I have a picture of the end cut I made on the small specimen up-close, but I lack the tools to properly file it down to get a good idea of the insides. Where the grinding wheel polished a bit they both are metallic inside. The larger specimen looks like glass until I got about a millimeter in. As soon as a get some better wheels for my dremel (probably diamond) I will continue my cutting, and post pics. Once that's finished I will mail my end cuts to Dr. Korotev as planned. Hopefully they turn out genuine and I can be the first person to recover a meteorite in Kuwait. (Confirmed anyway)

Keep up the good hunt! Also, E-Mail me for further questions/inquiries about my specimens if you'd like.

GodForbid667@aol.com

SPC Ames 82d ABN DIV

Here's the end cut as well. (From the small one)

post-15036-1203320165_thumb.jpg

Hi Danial, Ruben and All

I would like to see close ups of your probable leaverites. The bottom 3 on the center and right and the top left one look interesting !! I have to agree with Ruben on your suspect space rocks ?? Are any of these magnetic ?? Happy Huntin John B.

Both magnetic, both metallic inside. both unusually heavy.

What makes you so sure I can add all of them to the 'wrong' pile?

Both magnetic, both metallic inside. both unusually heavy.

What makes you so sure I can add all of them to the 'wrong' pile?

Daniel, even though it's usually hard to make a positive I.D. from a picture it's really not in this case. Your rocks are more than likely volcanic and thus very magnetic.

I don't think your rocks have the right "Look".

I don't wanna say they are definitely NOT, but I'd put money on it.

You say they are metallic inside. I'd also put money that what you see is not metal but instead a mineral that mimics the look of metal. Keep in mind that if they DO have metal they ARE either Meteorites or a terrestrial mineral far rarer that meteorites.

BOTH GOOD!

Keep in mind your rocks are definately not.

1. Iron Meteorites

2. Palasite Meteorites

3. Achondrite Meteorites

4. Mesosiderite Meteorites

The only thing they could be if they are meteorites is

an Ordianry Chondrite- but again probably not.

Take a look again, you should see metal flakes if you don't, they are not meteorites as many earth rocks are magnetic but have no metal flakes.

If you'd like you can send me or someone else a sample so we can look at it in person.

Daniel, even though it's usually hard to make a positive I.D. from a picture it's really not in this case. Your rocks are more than likely volcanic and thus very magnetic.

I don't think your rocks have the right "Look".

I don't wanna say they are definitely NOT, but I'd put money on it.

You say they are metallic inside. I'd also put money that what you see is not metal but instead a mineral that mimics the look of metal. Keep in mind that if they DO have metal they ARE either Meteorites or a terrestrial mineral far rarer that meteorites.

BOTH GOOD!

Keep in mind your rocks are definately not.

1. Iron Meteorites

2. Palasite Meteorites

3. Achondrite Meteorites

4. Mesosiderite Meteorites

The only thing they could be if they are meteorites is

an Ordianry Chondrite- but again probably not.

Take a look again, you should see metal flakes if you don't, they are not meteorites as many earth rocks are magnetic but have no metal flakes.

If you'd like you can send me or someone else a sample so we can look at it in person.

Well tomorrow i am sending my samples i've cut to Dr. Korotev. If you'd still like me to send you a slice if they are genuine I will, being that they would probably be rare.

I will stillpostpictures of them once they are cut.

Hey Glass Jaw, I wouldn't dismiss what Ruben and John B are telling you because they're pro meteorite hunters, so your getting some expert advise here!

Here's Ruben's website-

Ruben Website

I think John B. has a website too, though I'm not sure what it is.

To help narrow this down a little more, another thing you could try is figure out the density of your rocks then compare them to this chart and see what catagory they fall under-

Meteorite Density

Seems to me this should also help narrow it down some (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about this).

Hey Ruben and John B- have you guys ever thought of putting a link to your websites in your signatures so these new people who come in to the forum have an idea who you guys are? This guy seems to think he's getting non-expert opinions about his rocks when he's really not. Just a thought.

Del

Hey Del,

Thanks great idea! I added my website and video links to my signature. In my video link is my "How to I.D. a stony meteorite" videos 1 and 2.

I agree with John B. - from the blurry picture - it looks like Daniels meteor wrongs may have a better chance of being the real thing.

Oh well....

Expert advice or not, I wasn't replying to be rude. I was just saying that in my hopes they are real, and have been seen by Dr. Korotev who is fairly sure they are real. So i am sending him samples. i mean, why not keep hope alive when clearly all that's been seen by anyone here are my photos only?

I've been reading this forum for quite a while before i joined, and i also spent quite a few hours milling over Rueben's site and was impressed by his knowledge and finds. So don't try to make me sound like i was being a know-it-all noob, when I already have respect for those who have offered opinions, all i was saying is basically, let me keep my hope alive.

Daniel

You are absolutely right in your thoughts. Better to be safe than sorry. They say that pictures are worth a thousand words BUT not when you "really" want proof if it is or is not a meteorite. Once you get word let us know.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Expert advice or not, I wasn't replying to be rude. I was just saying that in my hopes they are real, and have been seen by Dr. Korotev who is fairly sure they are real. So i am sending him samples. i mean, why not keep hope alive when clearly all that's been seen by anyone here are my photos only?

I've been reading this forum for quite a while before i joined, and i also spent quite a few hours milling over Rueben's site and was impressed by his knowledge and finds. So don't try to make me sound like i was being a know-it-all noob, when I already have respect for those who have offered opinions, all i was saying is basically, let me keep my hope alive.

Daniel

Hey Daniel,

I'm quite sure that John or Del didn't mean to offend you...I didn't either. However, if Dr Korotev thinks they are meteorites I'd bet he's hasn't found a whole bunch. If you wanna think they are meteorites till he says different thats cool too.......

I get emails eveyday with pictures. People all over the world send them to me many send in samples too. Over the past ten years I've recieved hundreds if not thousands of emails. I have only seen 1 real meteorite found by an unexperienced newbie.

It really isn't that easy to do.

P.S. Just a friendly reminder. Be real careful also not to offend anyone here. They're all family and wouldn't take kindly to it.

Good Luck!!

Aloha Daniel,

Read my PM to you and take it for what it is worth.

Take care and be careful out there.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

I'm fairly certain I haven't said, or done anything to offend anyone. And telling me I'm wrong just from looking at a picture, and thinking to yourself, "He's just a newbie, it's not possible he could've gotten lucky" is kinda unfair. I mean were you an expert the first time you found yours? Or did someone with experience take you somewhere and guide you? As faras you last comment Mr-Meteorite, was that supposed to be some type of threat? I wasn't aware my internet forum demeanor was considered hostile enough to warrant loose threats.

i didn't come here to offend or bother anyone. I can here to ask the people who have done this for years to give me opions, and hopefully encouragement. Not treat me like a child holding a piece of limestone in his hand calling it a lunar meteorite. I'm a grown man, i've been hunting arrowheads, relics, fossils, and the like for 20 years. I decide to jump into the meteorite game, not to sell, but for the enjoyment. Guaranteed if you see me on ehre in 5 years and I'm made substatial finds, you will never see me try to turn a profit from it. I do it as a hobby, because it is fun for me. And it was incredible stress relief while stuck in the desert.

So please, save your threats. I'm not here to argue or offend anyone.

I'm fairly certain I haven't said, or done anything to offend anyone. And telling me I'm wrong just from looking at a picture, and thinking to yourself, "He's just a newbie, it's not possible he could've gotten lucky" is kinda unfair. I mean were you an expert the first time you found yours? Or did someone with experience take you somewhere and guide you? As faras you last comment Mr-Meteorite, was that supposed to be some type of threat? I wasn't aware my internet forum demeanor was considered hostile enough to warrant loose threats.

i didn't come here to offend or bother anyone. I can here to ask the people who have done this for years to give me opions, and hopefully encouragement. Not treat me like a child holding a piece of limestone in his hand calling it a lunar meteorite. I'm a grown man, i've been hunting arrowheads, relics, fossils, and the like for 20 years. I decide to jump into the meteorite game, not to sell, but for the enjoyment. Guaranteed if you see me on ehre in 5 years and I'm made substatial finds, you will never see me try to turn a profit from it. I do it as a hobby, because it is fun for me. And it was incredible stress relief while stuck in the desert.

So please, save your threats. I'm not here to argue or offend anyone.

Hey GlassJaw, can you do me a favor and take a chill pill? We don't come here to argue and fuss over things.

You have to realise there's a lot of people out there who claim they've found a meteorite when they haven't and this is why you have to be a little skeptical when somebody claims they've made a brand new cold find (epcially if they're inexperienced at finding meteorites). So if you truly believe it is one then have Dr. Korotev check it out for you because if it isn't the real deal, then I'm sure you'll know very fast.

Del