Nugget Shooter Forums

Crusher from a woodsplitter?

dave wiseman

For all the mechanics and engineer types out there.Can anyone draw up some plans ,and/or give feedback on converting a hydraulic woodsplitter into some type of rock crusher.Don't have a splitter,it's just a rainy day passing fancy thought.......Dave :hmmmmmm:

Yeah Matt,mostly my neck gets red from sunburn :laught16: and often my thoughts and imagination are a little backwards :tisc-tisc: did have an antique Gibson elyptical sampling mill some years back.At some point my partner Kuger and I will either buy a small Keene or some other mill that will do perhaps a few hundred pounds in a few hours.No great expenditure or big mining operation.what are your recomendations for a small crusher or mill?........Dave

I just love my little Gibson.Was yours a prospector's friend (5ton) or a pocket hunter?Don't try to talk me out of it (Family heirloom) :Huh_anim]:

That Keene rc-46 is a good mill but the roller scraper is junk on it.You also have to make sure that the bolts stay tight on the mill.

As for a sample mill I would recommend a small Jaw crusher 4x6 that has a adjustable jaw. You can use it without water and crush down to 14 mesh with the right jaw.

If you what to actually mill it down to 40 mesh or what ever A small Gibson would be the ticket.But as I'm sure you are aware they are hard to find. I have had to build my own elliptical roll twice for mine.Miners Foundry in Navada city made a nice ball mill also.

For poor boying it I have used cement mixers with a large steel pipe welded in or a big roll of rubber ball mill lining bolted to the inside of the cement mixer and ball mill balls or hard creek stones added for crushing medium.

As I'm sure you know it all depends on how much money you what to invest.If you are looking for a little mill let me know I can track one down.

Good luck out there,Matt

I just love my little Gibson.Was yours a prospector's friend (5ton) or a pocket hunter?Don't try to talk me out of it (Family heirloom) :Huh_anim]:

That Keene rc-46 is a good mill but the roller scraper is junk on it.You also have to make sure that the bolts stay tight on the mill.

As for a sample mill I would recommend a small Jaw crusher 4x6 that has a adjustable jaw. You can use it without water and crush down to 14 mesh with the right jaw.

If you what to actually mill it down to 40 mesh or what ever A small Gibson would be the ticket.But as I'm sure you are aware they are hard to find. I have had to build my own elliptical roll twice for mine.Miners Foundry in Navada city made a nice ball mill also.

For poor boying it I have used cement mixers with a large steel pipe welded in or a big roll of rubber ball mill lining bolted to the inside of the cement mixer and ball mill balls or hard creek stones added for crushing medium.

As I'm sure you know it all depends on how much money you what to invest.If you are looking for a little mill let me know I can track one down.

Good luck out there,Matt

Thanks a ton,Matt.Yes we are looking for a mill.Low budget.

Matt,As far as I recall it was rated as One ton per day.Had one 75lb. football shaped ball.I never ran it when it was in my possesion as it needed much work inside.Believe it had been brazed many,many times.My late partners and I ran it for many years,with me being the rock crusher,breaking the oversize down on a stamp mill shoe and dumping that into a hopper box where it was scooped up.Some other fellows in this area had one in the old days and he told me his family would break it down and haul the mill in pieces on mules and horses to the mountains.Will have Kuger keep in touch with you as he handles all the fianances.At some point this spring we'll be ready for a mill and it would be nice of you to keep an eye open............Dave

Here is a picture of my Gibson mill you had the Pocket Hunter.Don't know why the picture won't get any bigger.I will talk more with Kuger later. I'm sure we can find something in your budget. Or we can get Vini to pull a arrstra stone around for you guys :innocent0009:

post-3470-1202187565.jpg

Here is a picture of my Gibson mill you had the Pocket Hunter.Don't know why the picture won't get any bigger.I will talk more with Kuger later. I'm sure we can find something in your budget. Or we can get Vini to pull a arrstra stone around for you guys :innocent0009:

Ha!HA!Thats good Matt,I will lok forward to talking to you.Thanks alot!!