Nugget Shooter Forums

GPS Questions

If you take your GPS cords. in hhh'mm.mmm how do you change them to hhh'mm'ss.s for use on Google Earth?
I'm a tad confused by the "hhh'mm.mmm" and "hhh'mmm'ss.s". Are you talking about Degrees, Minutes, Seconds as in DDD-MM-SS.SSS? This can be converted to any form i.e. decimal of degrees or.....any other format!

Gary

I have got cords. form the same area but one person's GPS recorded XXX'XX'.XXX" the other one recorded XXX'XX'XX.X" the later works fine in Google Earth the first set of cords. dont work in Google Earth.

Hey Dustin, so you finally got your GPS? :whoopie: I forget... what model did you get?

There should be some way to change the coordinates on your GPS to different units. Just look it up in your manual and it should tell you step-by-step how to do it.

Did you get the manual with it? If not, you should be able to find it via the internet.

If your trying to convert from one unit to the other, here's a website that will help you with this-

Degrees, Minutes, Seconds and Decimal Degrees Latitude/Longitude Conversions

Del

Thanks, it did not come with the book but I have already printed it out. The problem I am having is that when I convert the decimel to sec. it puts the find way far out of the dry lake on which I found the meteorite. I know about where it was found visually on Google Earth but the converted cords. dont match

Funny.... I'm pretty sure I know the exact coords your talking about! :laught16:

Yeah I got the same thing on mine when I put those coords in. They led me right off the lake bed! Not sure why, because when you look at them in Google Earth they're clearly on the lake bed. :shrug:

I picked up some topo maps to download into my GPS and I was going to upload those coords into it and see where they are in relation to the maps. We'll see how it goes.

Del

I have got cords. form the same area but one person's GPS recorded XXX'XX'.XXX" the other one recorded XXX'XX'XX.X" the later works fine in Google Earth the first set of cords. don’t work in Google Earth.
From your first example XXX'XX.XXX this is in Degrees and Minutes i.e. 43 Degrees 38.27 Minutes, the .27 is the decimal equivalent of Seconds or (.27 x 60=16.2 Seconds or 16.2 ÷ 60=.27) (.27 + 38=38.27 Minutes)

The second example is in Degrees, Minutes and Seconds i.e. 43 Degrees 38 Minutes 16.2 Seconds.

Here’s an example of how to covert Degree’s(D), Minutes(M) and Seconds(S)

to Decimal format.

Use 43(D) 38(M) 16.2(S)

1) 16.2(S) ÷ 60 = .27 + 38(M) = 38.27(M)

2) 38.27(M) ÷ 60 = .6378333 + 43 = 43.6378333(D)

In this case 43(D) 38(M) 16.2(S) = 43(D) 38.27(M) = 43.637833(D)

To convert this back just multiply by 60 instead and subtract rather than add.

Gary

From your first example XXX'XX.XXX this is in Degrees and Minutes i.e. 43 Degrees 38.27 Minutes, the .27 is the decimal equivalent of Seconds or (.27 x 60=16.2 Seconds or 16.2 ÷ 60=.27) (.27 + 38=38.27 Minutes)

The second example is in Degrees, Minutes and Seconds i.e. 43 Degrees 38 Minutes 16.2 Seconds.

Here’s an example of how to covert Degree’s(D), Minutes(M) and Seconds(S)

to Decimal format.

Use 43(D) 38(M) 16.2(S)

1) 16.2(S) ÷ 60 = .27 + 38(M) = 38.27(M)

2) 38.27(M) ÷ 60 = .6378333 + 43 = 43.6378333(D)

In this case 43(D) 38(M) 16.2(S) = 43(D) 38.27(M) = 43.637833(D)

To convert this back just multiply by 60 instead and subtract rather than add.

Gary

Hey thanks Gary, thats good to know.

Hey sorry for ripping your head off a couple months back... was having a bad time you know.

Del

Freelance,

Del is right. On your GPS there should be a way to access a settings menu. In that menu you will find a place to change the "units" You will see many options including the ones you have listed. What GPS do you have?

You should be able to use Google Earth just the way it is . I think that it takes both ways. I know that when I first started to use Google Earth there was a problem, that I played around with and changed it in Google Earth . You need to make sure what ever you are using is the same on both.

Rick

PS Del hope to see you again as soon as it warms up!!!!!!!!!

You also need to make sure the datum you are converting to/from is the same. For example, lots of older U.S. maps still use the NAD27 datum while most GPS units use the newer WGS84/NAD83 datum. So even if you do the conversion correctly, the coordinates won't match up correctly. I'm no expert on this, so you might want to google it if your coordinates are still off.

Regards,

Bob

thanks Mick I figured out that function when I got the unit. my problem is that it is not matching up with Google Earth after i convert it from decimal to seconds

Got it. I misunderstood your problem. When you say you "convert" it I'm asssuming that you mean the conversion is done by changing it with the units option and that you're not using a hand calculator :Huh_anim]:

I think Bobert has given you the answer. You need to make sure your GPS is set the same as Google Earht. Go to his post and compare those options. Good luck.

mick

Hi All

I'am having the problem with earth as well. :grrr01: If I add a coord on a level of zoom when it opens up my coord is on the wrong side of a road. I just gave up and now use only my GPS as its the best way to get my info and back to my spots.

Stan!! I use my excel data base to look at finds by weight and then GPS tracks to see where I have been and then start again. This always keeps me in new ground. Hope you got the PM!!! I Can't tell if I sent the answer. So E Me.

Wayne :icon_mrgreen: