Nugget Shooter Forums

Big Change may be coming...

Hi All,

I am considering switching servers of both my site and forum....I will let you know if and when it may happen, but I think I can get a better deal and service by switching.

I am checking now to see if our data base can be transfered or if we will have to start from scratch.

Bill

If you are hosting with IPS, you can easily move the database and not have to start over. Just get a host who has cpanel, and if you pick a good company, they will move it for you. Be sure to go into the IPS admin panel and download a backup of the mysql database. If you need any help, let me know. I sent you a PM with related information, but never heard back. Hope it goes as planned.

Bill:

First, please accept the collective gratitude of all of us nugget junkies who have benefitted tremendously over the years by your single-handed efforts to create this marvelous communication system.

Second, if it is just a matter of money to defray the escalating costs of an expanding system, please know also that there are many of us who would be quite willing to regularly contribute in any way that would preserve the integrity of the historical record of this web site. Just say the word.

Lastly, many of us have invested a lot of our personal energy into this forum and thus, understandably, would prefer not risking a change that would erase years of shared experience and priceless nuggets of prospecting knowledge.

I know you already know these things, but I just wanted to reiterate. Thanks again for carrying the economic burden of this forum on your shoulders over the years.

Martin

Thanks, haven't done it yet but plan to switch to PHPbb still checking out my options.

Bill

If so, there should be a converter which will allow you to convert your current database to phpbb, but I would suggest against phpbb as its a high target for hackers. SMF is a good free board, or you can buy a license for IPB and take it anywhere you want to. I have used PHPbb, SMF, and Invision, and invision seems to be the best out of those three. I hear Vbulletin is a very solid forum too, so thats another option. But, if you want to save all your forum information, make sure that you choose one which has a converter. Perhaps start a chipin so we can all chipin and help you pay for an Invision Power Board license. There's a lot of great information here and I would hate to see it get wiped out. If you need any technical help, let me know. :twocents:

Hi Bill. For all the above reasons I'd suggest staying with the IPS software. I think I told you they would move you for a very reaonable fee. I did upgrade the php and MYSQL to their specs on one of my servers btw. That server is in Vegas.

hello bill. just want to let u know that i have no idea what the technical jargon of the last 2 posts were, :confused0013: but I did understand " chipping in " & u can count me in on that. I sure dont want this site to dissapear and i know there are are costs involved. nuff said......

diggitdawg.