Nugget Shooter Forums

The real Canyon Diablo

Greetings Meteorite hunters,

For all of you meteorite hunters who have never been to northern Arizona

or probably will never make it there, here is a photograph of the real Canyon Diablo.

This is about 2.5 miles west of Meteor Crater.

Such an unimposing little canyon for having such a famous name. :hmmmmmm:

Happy meteorite hunting,

Boorx4

post-951-1201664567_thumb.jpg

Greetings Meteorite hunters,

For all of you meteorite hunters who have never been to northern Arizona

or probably will never make it there, here is a photograph of the real Canyon Diablo.

This is about 2.5 miles west of Meteor Crater.

Such an unimposing little canyon for having such a famous name. :hmmmmmm:

Happy meteorite hunting,

Boorx4

Been there... Seen it, and it is imposing isn't it... ;) I was reading that there was a little town there way back in the Old West days when they built a railroad bridge over the canyon, and that it was a pretty lawless little town, worse than Tombstone or Deadwood even.

Eric

Greetings Steve and other meteorite enthusiasts,

According to Norton in "Rocks from Space" page 123, "meteorites were found as far as 8 miles from the crater's center, but most were found within a radius of 2 miles from the rim, with a concentration near the northeast flank." Norton also states on page 116 that "miners hauled away tons of iron meteorites, loaded them on railroad cars, and shipped them to smelters in El Paso, Texas, where they were melted down and made into various iron products."

With this knowledge and the fact that Canyon Diablo meteorites are everywhere for sale, why do those "in the know" and the folks at Meteor Crater insist that this asteroid vaporized on impact? This vaporized theory just doesn't completly compute with the facts. :hmmmmmm:

Why don't they say that a large portion of the asteroid vaporized on impact, but many tons still survived and were scattered up to 8 miles around the crater. To me, this is more accurate.

Your comments are incouraged.

Bob Boorx4

Greetings Steve and other meteorite enthusiasts,

According to Norton in "Rocks from Space" page 123, "meteorites were found as far as 8 miles from the crater's center, but most were found within a radius of 2 miles from the rim, with a concentration near the northeast flank." Norton also states on page 116 that "miners hauled away tons of iron meteorites, loaded them on railroad cars, and shipped them to smelters in El Paso, Texas, where they were melted down and made into various iron products."

With this knowledge and the fact that Canyon Diablo meteorites are everywhere for sale, why do those "in the know" and the folks at Meteor Crater insist that this asteroid vaporized on impact? This vaporized theory just doesn't completly compute with the facts. :hmmmmmm:

Why don't they say that a large portion of the asteroid vaporized on impact, but many tons still survived and were scattered up to 8 miles around the crater. To me, this is more accurate.

Your comments are incouraged.

Bob Boorx4

I think that the Main Mass, fragmented and is still under the the crater. Something that huge is probably 200 or more feet down. Didn't Dan Barringer drill down 180 feet and at, I think 3 point's, at 120 feet found meteortoric material, that carried Nickle ??? :confused0013:

jim "hawk" :coffeetime:

I was under the impression they drilled in the middle of the crater hoping to find- then mine the iron that was supposedly buried. After a period of time, they simply stopped since they never found anything. I'm sure there are some geophysical instruments availible these days that could determine whether or not there's a huge meteorite buried in the floor of the crater itself.

Steve