Nugget Shooter Forums

A friend has passed and is now in heaven

Guest Potholes Bob-NM

Guest Potholes Bob-NM

It saddens me to have to report that my friend and prospecting buddy, RD, Richard Delahanty,

passed away on Thursday Jan. 24.

I had been away, and just learned of RDs passing from his wife Donna, this afternoon.

Shortly after our prospecting trip last year, Dick started to feel like he had the Flu, and was

subsequently diagnosed with lung cancer.

During this time, RD preferred that the fact of his

illness not be put on the web, and of course I respected Dick's wishes!

RD's address : Richard M. Delahanty

80380 Sabita Drive

Indio CA 92201

Bob

This is sad... Richard was an old friend... He was a fellow FCM member.

Just yesterday with another FCM we were speaking in awe at how Richard

was able to find so much gold... Jim Straight

I am so very sorry to hear of RD's passing...This has been a tough month...RD was as straight up a guy as comes along...I'm regretful of the loss of our prospecting buddy, RD, and I offer my heartfelt condolences to his missus....Another star in the sky.... Sincerely, Ron

Bob, thank you for letting us know about RD.

I know you have lost a good friend and I hope you are ok,

it must be difficult.

There is a group of us...who get together to hunt in the Dale...relatively new to prospecting compared to RD,

who had the pleasure of meeting, talking and hunting with him.

I last spoke to him in December when I had an impulse to call him.

I had never called him before even though he'd given me his phone number a year or so ago.

He had just gotten back from the doctor's office.

This was a one of a kind man. In his own quiet way he was very outspoken.

He had a rare kind of easy manner that belied his persistence and his wonderful hardheadedness.

He would pull his old camper out into the Dale and live for a couple of weeks by himself.

He seemed perfectly content with his own company.

We pretty much knew where to look for him. We called it RD's camp.

It was a pleasure to make the acquaintance of this private and unique man.

There are a lot of us who will miss you RD,

Thanks for the good company.

See you at the next camp along the line.

Flak

Much is lost in the passing of good prospectors and miners, yet good memories of their presents in our lives when they were here with us will live forever....I didn't know this man from a personal standpoint, I really wish I had. Anyone into prospecting and the history behind it will always be a friend to many including me. So much is lost .....to prospecting friends and family!

Gary

I never met RD, but I did communicate with him occasionally in times past.

Although he did not know me, he extended invitations for me to come and

Go beeping with him. He gave me tips about the desert area that I owned property.

He didn't have to, but always seemed willing to help.

I guess you could say he went the extra mile.

A sad time for the folks whose lives he touched.

~LARGO~

My condolences, He will be missed. I only had the pleasure to hang out with RD a couple of times at Rich Hill, but he made a huge impression on me. I called him the professor, very thoughtful and wise. :smrt1: He was very kind to everyone, especially my son. I think of RD every time I find a tiny nugget in a new wash. The first thing I do is look up at the hillsides, remembering RD's story of his discovery of the big patch. Rest in Peace RD...Jim P.

I finally got to meet R.D. out in the Dale district after he and I had tried time and again to coordinate a hunt together. He took me and some of my friends on a personal tour of area 51. With a tear in his eye he described what the area looked like before so many had gone there and worked the area over again and again.

I gifted R.D. a Hermit Pick and in return he gifted me a specimen from area 51. It goes without saying that that piece of gold is priceless just like the man who gave it to me.

I believe God needed someone to help him find a patch of gold and he has one of the best patch finders there is now.

Those of you who were not aware of his accomplishments might remember a story some years back about a school teacher that found a 100 oz. patch of gold. That story was about our good friend R.D. and while we may never know just how much gold came from that little hill that story is true.

The pic is Mick, R.D. and Pot Holes Bob at Rich Hill

Go in peace R.D. You will be missed my friend

post-851-1201712208_thumb.jpg

My family and I had the pleasure to meet R.D. a little over a year ago , over T-day weekend 2006 . In the evenings , with some pie and the kids we go over for a quick chat ,and alittle show & tell .

Then last T- day weekend , as I came over the last ridge I was hoping to see R.D.'s comfy little camp , but he wasn't there . My family and I made some fun with "Tim Mann" that weekend, I hope R.D. had some fun reading about him . My only regrets is that I shoud have sent him a P.M. with a pic. of my family with Tim Mann , that would have given him a laugh.....

You will be missed R.D. Sincerely ; Joel and Family

I was lucky enough to be out in with Joe, Mick, Dennis and RD

when Joe and RD exchanged their gifts to each other.

I also thought I'd put up a couple of other pictures of RD

when he came out with Joe, Mick, Bill S. and John B. and me

up in Rattlesnake Canyon.

As so many have said, he was a much-respected and unique man.

Flak

post-920-1201723059_thumb.jpg

post-920-1201723079_thumb.jpg

post-920-1201723090_thumb.jpg

post-920-1201723104_thumb.jpg

I am saddened to hear about RD and can only imagine how "Pot-Holes" Bob is feeling right now with the passing of a good mate. I met up with them both at Rich Hill on one of my trips to the US and found them both to be decent people who obviously enjoyed the outdoors and each others company.

Rest in Peace RD.

JP

I was lucky enough to be out in with Joe, Mick, Dennis and RD

when Joe and RD exchanged their gifts to each other.

I also thought I'd put up a couple of other pictures of RD

when he came out with Joe, Mick, Bill S. and John B. and me

up in Rattlesnake Canyon.

As so many have said, he was a much-respected and unique man.

Flak

In that 4th picture that was the outing where John B. slapped that moth and snot-ball mixture off of R.D.'s nose. Bill cooked those trout on that 55 gallon barrel BBQ pit I have stashed out there. You guys came real close to seeing half digested trout and rice that night. That was fun. We will have to get together to add R.D.'s name to the brass plaque in memory of our friends.

-Joe

Never met him, but I can feel the pain of all his left behind friends. RIP

Joe mentioned the story about area 51.I will never forget the tears in his eyes telling the story of loose lips and the devastation of seeing the work done to his find area.It is a great lesson to those of use in this hobbie.It you find a place keep your mouth shut no matter how much you want to share and brag.He was not a bragger ,Yet he earned the right if he wished to ,That was not the kind of man he was.Our claim is centered around his camp site.I will put up a monument to him there,Also he will be in the wind of the desert placers for sure,May his family and close friends find the same peace he had found out in the dale.I could share a few stories but it is his time not mine,RD thanks for being you.You will be missed and talked about for some time,

post-251-1201750309_thumb.jpg

post-251-1201750339_thumb.jpg

Bob, my condolenses to you and those who knew him better than I. The few times I had the privilege to speak with him, one could tell, he was a man of character and will be missed.

Shep

RIP R.D.

I will always remember R.D. when I think of Gold Basin . We were up there for an outing one year and hunting with R.D. late in the day and he headed off in the sunset hunting for those elusive Nuggets , I think he was staying a couple of weeks after the outing but I had to get packed up and headed for home and never did see him show back up at camp .

Farewell RD

One of my favorite people. I always looked forward to visiting with RD at the outings. I first met RD at the Vulture wing ding years ago. I will always remember the look on his face when he tried to hear my invisible nuggets. My sincere condolances to those he left behind !! John B.