Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Basin Meteorite Data Base for sale

Wow Wayne, once the tourists and wannabes' get ahold of this one we will definitely need a traffic cop out there. :grrr01: Hope you have your new uniform and flags ready to direct traffic. :flasher:

Good luck with this venture.

Hopefully I will be able to get out there soon as I am in the process of working on my jeep AGAIN. darn I guess J E E P really does stand for Just Empty Every Pocket!

Will PM you once I know when I will be heading out your way.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hi All

Geeee I wonder what I could get for the original field maps we made for the U of A :hmmmmmm: ?? It's only got about 5000 stone finds totaling almost 400 lbs (180,000 grams) with a strewnfield area covering over 50 square miles :icon_mrgreen: ??? Including many whoppers , heavily hit areas and even a few different individual finds :woohoo: ?? Heck I even got a copy of the U of A's catalog number listings to go with it :whoopie: !! We considered 3000 grams an average to poor morning and an even worse day :laught16: !! Nope it's not for sale :angry-smiley-010: !! But available to all to look at for free :innocent0002: . No copies will be allowed :shrug: !! All private lands were hunted with permission, Rec Area with permits and BLM lands at the cost of random surrendered specimens :tisc-tisc: . We don't like scumbags profiting on our discovery :POsmiley01: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Hi All

Geeee I wonder what I could get for the original field maps we made for the U of A :hmmmmmm: ?? It's only got about 5000 stone finds totaling almost 400 lbs (180,000 grams) with a strewnfield area covering over 50 square miles :icon_mrgreen: ??? Including many whoppers , heavily hit areas and even a few different individual finds :woohoo: ?? Heck I even got a copy of the U of A's catalog number listings to go with it :whoopie: !! We considered 3000 grams an average to poor morning and an even worse day :laught16: !! Nope it's not for sale :angry-smiley-010: !! But available to all to look at for free :innocent0002: . No copies will be allowed :shrug: !! All private lands were hunted with permission, Rec Area with permits and BLM lands at the cost of random surrendered specimens :tisc-tisc: . We don't like scumbags profiting on our discovery :POsmiley01: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Maybe no response to your reply is better, or maybe it just fuels the fire. Am I wrong here or does you post seem a bit uncalled for? Am I reading it wrong?

Eric

Well for Johnny B. i guess it is called for.

I don't know how to say it but that's just John.

Its not bad nor good its just his way of getting his story out there.

Hi Stan, Eric & John B

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. Will reply later. Very hectic here!!! Looks like a Wal-Mart Distribution Center here. Been up all night trying to get all the Data Bases ready for the mail. May have to hire more help. Due to the high demand we may have to put a limit on this.

Wayne :icon_mrgreen: :escape:

Hi All

Hi John,

I stand with you on this one. Whats next (The Secret location of the Franconia Strewnfield!) $ 29.95, but wait theres more I will also throw in the (Secret Location of the GoldBasin Strewnfield for free.) :laught16: It sound like somone is just doing this for the money.

Sonny

www.nevadameteorites.com

Hi all,

I'm not afraid to sell meteorites, meteorite maps, meteorite etching secrets, etc..

Heck, I rip up the Mona Lisa, etch it and sell it if it was worth more that way!

I'm also not afraid to say that even though I'd like meteorite if they were worth zero, I like them a lot more just because they're not.

Come on John, Selllllllllllll

I agree Ruben! Sonny, I have to disagree... if only slightly.. ;)

From everything I've read and heard about the Gold Basin strewn field (from many veteran hunters who's names I won't mention) there are many who say they are "done working" Gold Basin. Does this mean that there are no meteorites left there? NO. Wayne goes out many times per week and very often finds a new GB meterorites.

If Gold Basin were a SECRET then I would have something to say about the information being sold.

But, it's NOT a secret and many veteran hunters seem dissinterested at best to hunt there again. If this is the case, why not sell the information. Sure there's profit to be made, Big woop! That's what business is all about. It also helps the people who are just getting into meteorite hunting. It's a TOOL to learn with. God knows newbs need help finding meteorites.

When you go on a road trip don't you normally buy a road map? The newbs need help getting started in this hobby. Finding meteorites can be one of the most rewarding things you've done, why not help the new guys find them? If there's another database out there that is more secret and more maps that show different areas then so be it, let it stay secret.

Any of you guys ever bought a GOLD MAP, a topo map, or any map showing where valuable items lay? Ever paid for coordinates?

It's all about information. some people would try to hold back the information and protect it, where others would share the information freely to anyone they felt could use it.

It's a fine line... If it's SECRET keep it SECRET! Simple as that.

Gold Basin is no SECRET.

Eric

This topic just seems to be getting out of hand here. :POsmiley01: Allright, so some people want Gold Basin information held close to their chest and kept a secret. How can it remain a secret if so many people are online getting this info through forums. :shrug: I see Wayne as an entrepenuer and a smart what at that. He has spent a lot of time and effort, not even mentioning money,putting this info together and I think it is his to sell. BTW, am I wrong or did he offer to sell ONLY his coords on this database? :hmmmmmm:

So, if I offer to sell a couple of Franconia meteorites along with the coords showing where I found them will I also be ostrasized by some of you guys? :Huh_anim]: If so, then get your posts ready as that is what I am about to do eventually. I am putting together some poker chips with gold nuggets for people to use to test their metal detectors and to be able to "train" their ears to the individual sounds that gold makes on their metal detector. I am also going to throw in a Franconia specimen to people who want one so they will be able to do the same thing with it. At first I didnt think it was a good idea BUT then I thought that this would be a good way of getting people introduced into this hobby. Who out there was helped by someone willing to give them a hand and advice? I think ALL of us were at one time or another. If I can make a couple of dollars to help with the gas and expense of traveling so far then so be it after all I found them and if I want to sell/give them away then it is my choice.

I think that some of you may have gotten the impression that Wayne was selling ALL the info that is available. I think NOT because I think that Wayne is not that stupid. In retrospect it sure sounds like because he is doing it first that jealousy is starting to rear its head here. And to think that he also has a website offering to sell a dvd showing how to hunt at Franconia. Should we bitch about him doing that also? :ziplip:

Sorry for the long rambling BUT Wayne has shown me and I believe a LOT of newbies how and where to hunt out at Gold Basin and it really ticks me off to see how some folks believe that ONLY they have the right to this strewn field. If you have found a NEW strewn field then more power to you and by all means dont share with your fellow forum members. God knows, we may go out there and take all the meteorites away from you. :tisc-tisc:

Aloha and have a good time out there guys,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hey All,

I WAS ONLY KIDDING! I thought we all were... I know and like John B. he's my friend, we've even hunted together. I don't know Wayne - though we have emailed each other -but he seems nice too!

I chose to give away information for free - a lot of information - in Magazine articles, Videos, website and even a TV show that we never got paid for. John is the same way. He has always been very helpful!

However, I am not above making a little money off of meteorites or meteorite related items.

Ruben

Hi All

ALL,

I totally agree with John B. on this matter. I am in the Franconia DVD being sold and my thoughts on that matter were for educational purposes only. I will have much more to post on this subject and if it rubs a few feathers the wrong way, so be it.......... :PO2:

I am short on time right now as my mother is in a bad way at the Nursing home and this is a more important matter to me. I will explain my thoughts more thoroughly later.

Jim

I have to agree with Wayne. Wayne is probably retired or not and is trying to make a few bucks on the side, So what.... more power to him. He's helping the young hunter's out there who are just getting started in the hunting realm. Thank you Wayne.

He's not saying go out and destroy the meteorite fields, he just helping out a few folks. Nothing wrong with that. What a wonferful world it would be if more people helped out like Wayne is. And if they make a few buck's on the side, doing it, then that's fine with me.

If I found a new strewn field, I would collect what I wanted for my collection, a few pieces for resale. Then let the world know where it is and have at it. I'd even give them a map or go out and help them.

The world is full of meteorites, we just have go out and find them. There rock's, when you die, your not taking any of them with you.... only the good deeds you do for other's....... just a thought.... :coffeetime:

Wayne.... think Glorieta :confused0013:

the Hawk :outtahere:

Hi all,

I have seen people come and go on different lists. Some people come just to make money. The nugget shooter forum is there to help all Gold and Meteorite hunters. The information on this list is free to all. I don't see Bill charging people to use this list. The finders of Gold basin, Jim, Twink and John have thousands of hours in the field. All the information is Free yes free to anyone who wants it. The Franconia Strewn field map is free to anyone that wishes to see and use. Thanks Jim Smaller! If it was not for the free information on the Nugget Shooters list, many new hunters would not have any information at all. What about Ruben's meteorite videos ? Free to all! I would make videos but I'm not as good looking as Ruben! I just see someone else making money on others hard wok! If it was not for the Free information on Gold basin, none of this would be possible! Keeping Gold basin a secret was not my statement.

Sonny

www.nevadameteorites.com

I have to agree with Wayne. Wayne is probably retired or not and is trying to make a few bucks on the side, So what.... more power to him. He's helping the young hunter's out there who are just getting started in the hunting realm. Thank you Wayne.

He's not saying go out and destroy the meteorite fields, he just helping out a few folks. Nothing wrong with that. What a wonferful world it would be if more people helped out like Wayne is. And if they make a few buck's on the side, doing it, then that's fine with me.

If I found a new strewn field, I would collect what I wanted for my collection, a few pieces for resale. Then let the world know where it is and have at it. I'd even give them a map or go out and help them.

The world is full of meteorites, we just have go out and find them. There rock's, when you die, your not taking any of them with you.... only the good deeds you do for other's....... just a thought.... :coffeetime:

Wayne.... think Glorieta :confused0013:

the Hawk :outtahere:

Hi Nighthawk,

I like you statement( I'd even give them a map or go out and help them) That's what it is all about. :innocent0009:

Sonny

ALL,

I totally agree with John B. on this matter. I am in the Franconia DVD being sold and my thoughts on that matter were for educational purposes only. I will have much more to post on this subject and if it rubs a few feathers the wrong way, so be it.......... :PO2:

I am short on time right now as my mother is in a bad way at the Nursing home and this is a more important matter to me. I will explain my thoughts more thoroughly later.

Jim

Jim sorry to here that. Family comes first

take care thoughts are with you

Johnno

OK, so here's my take on it, since everyone else has chimed in. On one hand, I agree with making a few dollars on a hobby, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, break any rules or go against the moral standards most of us abide by. If it's legit, make as much as you can. Now, on the other hand, I'm not quite sure as I understand the concept of selling Co'ord's to finds made by the finder of the meteorites. Most of us who plot our finds, usually go back maybe once or twice, if it was a big enough find (to find other pieces), but usually "clean" the area where the find was made the first time.

So, unless there is a scientific study going on about the co'ords (fall area) of the debris field, then what sense does it make to sell them? If it's about a starting point, to hunting meteorites, I would say all one has to do is read the forum and they would have all the information they could use. I guess it would be easier sell the meteorites instead of going to all the trouble to sell a data-set of co'ords. I like to keep an open mind and can see it from both sides, and if I'm interested, then I might buy it and if not, then I'll let it pass by and nothing more. IMHO that might be the best advice I could offer to anyone about the hobby. Just my two cents, because that's all I got in my pocket. Jason :;):

(And just for the record, I bought the DVD (Hunting Franconia) and it was worth the money I spent on it. Why? Because I hunt Franconia, respect the people who made the discovery, and enjoyed the excitement that so few have gotten to experience of looking/hunting for meteorites. )

OK, so here's my take on it, since everyone else has chimed in. On one hand, I agree with making a few dollars on a hobby, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, break any rules or go against the moral standards most of us abide by. If it's legit, make as much as you can.

I agree... Making a profit on something you researched and worked on is purely ligit. No argument there.

"""Now, on the other hand, I'm not quite sure as I understand the concept of selling Co'ord's to finds made by the finder of the meteorites. Most of us who plot our finds, usually go back maybe once or twice, if it was a big enough find (to find other pieces), but usually "clean" the area where the find was made the first time. So, unless there is a scientific study going on about the co'ords (fall area) of the debris field, then what sense does it make to sell them? """

It makes since if you beleive all the material hasn't been recovered from the area and it's possible there's more in the area. Which raises the question why would you sell the coordinates? Because you just want to help the new guys find more, and make a little money in return. Simple as that I think. Most hunters have coodinates recorded so they can go back at a later date and find more, and to document and map the find. If that hunter wants to sell that info and move on to other areas then cool. Right?

"""If it's about a starting point, to hunting meteorites, I would say all one has to do is read the forum and they would have all the information they could use. I guess it would be easier sell the meteorites instead of going to all the trouble to sell a data-set of co'ords"""

People that want to hunt and find their own meteorites don't normally just want to "buy" meteorites except maybe for their collection or throw downs for tuning their detector. I agree with you that new hunters can gian a large amount of information and knowledge simply by reading the forums, lists, and websites full of information about hunting, finding, and collecting meteorites.

"""I like to keep an open mind and can see it from both sides, and if I'm interested, then I might buy it and if not, then I'll let it pass by and nothing more. IMHO that might be the best advice I could offer to anyone about the hobby. Just my two cents, because that's all I got in my pocket. Jason :;):"""

I completely agree! I don't normally buy information for anything, I like to find out through research and field work. Getting out there and doing it is the best way. You have to, IMHO, keep an open mind about people who would be unselfish enough release their own data to the public. Keep in mind most hunters keep their info TOP SECRET and that's fine. Those that want to release it, it's theirs to release. Who are we to judge that? Keep an open mind to it, and look at things from both side. Both have pros and cons. There is not a RIGHT answer, just opinions.

"""(And just for the record, I bought the DVD (Hunting Franconia) and it was worth the money I spent on it. Why? Because I hunt Franconia, respect the people who made the discovery, and enjoyed the excitement that so few have gotten to experience of looking/hunting for meteorites. )"""

I have watched it too and it's an awesome DVD for beginners. Anyone getting started in meteorite hunting should watch it, as well as Ruben's videos on Youtube.com They are both great informational sources. There's a plethora of information available to anyone will to research it, but that info is limited and most does not include coordinates, and maps, and updates on new finds... That is what's valuable.

Eric

ALL,

As I stated before, I agree with John B. on this matter. I have done extensive mapping of Gold Basin and Franconia, especially Franconia. My mapping of the Franconia strewnfield has been a massive project that was aided by the generous contributions made by close to 70 individuals. This mapping was done for research and educational purposes only. No thoughts of using this data for a profit were ever given any thought by me. The original contributors of data were given an early dated map along with location and material size information, several individuals decided to use this map and information to glean a profit against my wishes. I decided to make the strewnfield map showing where material has been found, available to those that show a genuine interest in meteorite hunting and respect for both BLM and private property. This map has been free. I have in the past been asked for permission to use the map in DVD's, magazines and a book on Meteorites, I have declined permission because of my observance of some major land use abuse. There are those that just do not want to follow the rules of the game and that is bad for all of us that enjoy this great hobby.

I participated in a DVD that was designed for educational purposes only, I had and still have nothing against that DVD being sold. I am somewhat taken backwards that it is being packaged with this effort.

Gold Basin is a rather diverse area, it is checker-boarded about 50/50 private land and BLM (public land), a large portion of the private land is not posted, however as each day goes by, more and more of this land is being posted because of land abuse by meteorite and gold hunters. This in turn is being caused by more and more exposure to the public, some of which are not familar with use laws and some that just don't give a dam. The BLM portion is largely under claim by clubs and individuals or groups. Some of this land is poorly marked and would lead an inspiring new meteorite hunter to think that he or she is detecting public land that is free from any other encumbrances. Conflict's arise and crap hits the fan. BLM also takes a dim view of improper land use. We as rock hounds, prospectors, meteorite hunters and such, are treading on thin ice these days and we just do not need problems that could hinder our activities.

I will be glad to direct anyone to the strewnfield of either Gold Basin or Franconia, I will provide a general location that material has been found, I will also provide a general idea as to land ownership and some suggestions on how to hunt and what to hunt with. FREE

Do not get me wrong, I am not against anyone making a living or a side income. I helped Wayne make a DVD on the Franconia strewnfield and I hope that he has recovered his expenses and made a profit. I thought that it was very educational and could be used elsewhere.

I offered to assist in a Gold Basin DVD that could shed some light on that strewnfield in the proper manner. Would much rather step aside and let John B. star in that role as he is much more photogenic than I. He has spent more time in that field than any of us Johnny come latelys, his research on that field was intensive and the information is recorded in the proper places for future generations to learn from. This is why I understand his thoughts with reference to the mapping that he possesses.

Just my :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: on this thread, not meant to step on any toes or hurt anyones feelings. I sent a Franconia map to an individual the other day after some quizzing, he gave me the right answers and today I received a PM from him commenting on this thread. I wish he would post his comment here as it made me feel good.

Jim

Hi All

Just to make this perfectly clear, our investment has not yet re-cooped on the Franconia DVD. We have donated to many good causes. many more than we have sold. We will continue to give away more. As you know, Jim, I have brought up the private property issues even on Red Lake in regards to the private property ownership. And, yes, I agree on Gold Basin, with claims and all.

As far as being called a SCUM BAG, I highly resent that John B. For 2 days I have thought about this and yes I resent being call a SCUM BAG on this forum. You have reached a new low in you're opinion of other meteorite hunters.

Wayne

ALL,

As I stated before, I agree with John B. on this matter. I have done extensive mapping of Gold Basin and Franconia, especially Franconia. My mapping of the Franconia strewnfield has been a massive project that was aided by the generous contributions made by close to 70 individuals. This mapping was done for research and educational purposes only. No thoughts of using this data for a profit were ever given any thought by me. The original contributors of data were given an early dated map along with location and material size information, several individuals decided to use this map and information to glean a profit against my wishes. I decided to make the strewnfield map showing where material has been found, available to those that show a genuine interest in meteorite hunting and respect for both BLM and private property. This map has been free. I have in the past been asked for permission to use the map in DVD's, magazines and a book on Meteorites, I have declined permission because of my observance of some major land use abuse. There are those that just do not want to follow the rules of the game and that is bad for all of us that enjoy this great hobby.

I participated in a DVD that was designed for educational purposes only, I had and still have nothing against that DVD being sold. I am somewhat taken backwards that it is being packaged with this effort.

Gold Basin is a rather diverse area, it is checker-boarded about 50/50 private land and BLM (public land), a large portion of the private land is not posted, however as each day goes by, more and more of this land is being posted because of land abuse by meteorite and gold hunters. This in turn is being caused by more and more exposure to the public, some of which are not familar with use laws and some that just don't give a dam. The BLM portion is largely under claim by clubs and individuals or groups. Some of this land is poorly marked and would lead an inspiring new meteorite hunter to think that he or she is detecting public land that is free from any other encumbrances. Conflict's arise and crap hits the fan. BLM also takes a dim view of improper land use. We as rock hounds, prospectors, meteorite hunters and such, are treading on thin ice these days and we just do not need problems that could hinder our activities.

I will be glad to direct anyone to the strewnfield of either Gold Basin or Franconia, I will provide a general location that material has been found, I will also provide a general idea as to land ownership and some suggestions on how to hunt and what to hunt with. FREE

Do not get me wrong, I am not against anyone making a living or a side income. I helped Wayne make a DVD on the Franconia strewnfield and I hope that he has recovered his expenses and made a profit. I thought that it was very educational and could be used elsewhere.

I offered to assist in a Gold Basin DVD that could shed some light on that strewnfield in the proper manner. Would much rather step aside and let John B. star in that role as he is much more photogenic than I. He has spent more time in that field than any of us Johnny come latelys, his research on that field was intensive and the information is recorded in the proper places for future generations to learn from. This is why I understand his thoughts with reference to the mapping that he possesses.

Just my :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: on this thread, not meant to step on any toes or hurt anyones feelings. I sent a Franconia map to an individual the other day after some quizzing, he gave me the right answers and today I received a PM from him commenting on this thread. I wish he would post his comment here as it made me feel good.

Jim

G'Day Jim,

I knew there was a reason when I first met you that I respected you so much. You just proved that.

Johnno