Nugget Shooter Forums

California Dry Lake Finds

Welcome to the forum Dustin! There's alot of good people to meet here so you've come to the right place.

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous finds. :WOW: Lets see.... how many times have you been out now?... I think you can still count that on one hand right? All I can say is WOW and congratulations on your success! :whoopie:

Try using the macro on your camera when your taking close up pics, this should help some.

Dustin your doing a great job rippin it up out there! I look forward to seeing your future posts. Keep it up!

Del

Lets see I've been out 5 times and only skunked out at 1 dry lake. I think that is because of all the dirt bikers. Thanks for the camera tip. I think the lens is dirty. we'll see later.

Hi Fred,

i dont know what you mean by 'oriented' sorry I am a little dumb at this still.

Dumb? No, it is called a learning curve. If you look at your avatar it shows a meteor coming thru the atmosphere. The front of any meteor gets VERY hot and melts/fuses as it enter earths atmosphere. If it does not tumble but comes in straight and true only one side will show a nice fusion crust. That is oriented. May not be a scientific explanation but it is simple. Hope this helps.

Anyone with a better explanation is more than welcome to jump in on this one.

Now go out there and get some more kid.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hi Fred,

i dont know what you mean by 'oriented' sorry I am a little dumb at this still.

Dustin sorry I missed your call last night, I'll give you a call tonight though.

Stan pretty much explained my understanding of "oriented". I just kind of imagine something plunging towards the earth at 20,000-30,000 mph thats hot and molten, so it's bound to melt into some sort of shape and give you flow lines. It's kind of like blowing on the wax of a hot candle. Here's a link with with some good oriented meteorite pics (especially the Taza nose cone), once you see them Dustin then you'll understand what oriented means-

Oriented meteorite pics

Dustin, don't be embarrassed to ask questions here, because everybody here started out somewhere just like you. You won't get ridiculed hear since most the people on this forum are good people. The only "dumb" question is one that hasn't been asked. I don't seem to remember any of your finds having any sort of flow lines though, of course once they clean up that could be a different story. I believe I have a couple Franconia area meteorites that are oriented that I will show you the next time we meet up.

Dustin have your read the "Rocks from Space" book yet? If not, I'll grab the one I gave to my brother in law and give it to you. This book will help you learn about stuff like this.

Del

What Stan said with a little extra...if it is oriented there may be flow lines on the face and the ablation will fold over the back side and possibly build up a ridge like structure...the back side will not have the same degree of fusion crust...search the internet or get some books and you will see pictures of what I am talking about...

no human is born knowing stuff, we all have to seek knowledge to have any...

Fred