Nugget Shooter Forums

WOOHOO... FINALLY MY FIRST CALIFORNIA FIND!!

This is a little long guys and I apologise, however I'm still excited and pumped up over it so I spilled my guts!

Waking up bright and early the first thoughts to myself as I opened my eyes were "today’s the day, today’s the day I find my first California meteorite!" I got up, grabbed my dog Maggie, threw her in the truck and headed off to one of California’s dry lake beds to meet up with newbie hunter Dustin Stober (more on him later).

Once I got to the lake bed, Dustin had already began gridding off an area where he had made two previous finds (yes.. two... remember... he's a newbie!). Closely observing the lake bed, I decided to head across it. I walked back and forth hour after hour, poking every black rock I came across with no luck. I kept going, and going, and going, occasionally humming a tune in my head and just keeping at it. I figured I would eventually come across something if I was persistent enough. After a few hours I started getting hungry, so I walked back to where Dustin and I were parked to grab lunch and shoot the crap a little. Dustin and I were both not having any luck, so we both decided to drive to a different part of the lake bed and try our luck elsewhere.

At the new spot, we kind of stuck together. Walking and tapping.... walking and tapping.... walking and tapping. The monotony was killing me! My god we must have walked over 8 miles already! The wind started kicking up 30+ mph winds creating dust storms and sand blasting our faces. Despite the sand blasted skin, we both kept at it. I was not going to let anything get in the way of my first California find because I knew it was there somewhere! I would occasionally look over at Dustin to see if he was having any luck... nada. After hunting this area for a few more hours, I came up with the idea for both of us to get in my truck, drive a few miles away, park and walk back to his car and we did.

After parking my truck, we started out again slowly heading in the direction of Dustins car. This time it was a lot easier to see the rocks since the sun was at our backs (a tip we both picked up from one of Rubens YouTube videos). This time around though, Dustin and I both didn't seem to concerned about finding anything since it was starting to get late and the reality of getting skunked was starting to set in for both of us. We both seemed more concerned about socializing with each other than finding any space rocks. So we were walking, talking, and tapping rocks. All of a sudden Dustin stopped abruptly, put his cane down and I heard a "SNAP". Before Dustin said anything, I already knew what that distinctive sound was! A split millisecond later Dustin belts out "GOT ONE!". He pulled it off his magnet and put it back exactly where it came out of the ground. I snapped off a few in-situ pics while he logged the GPS coords. He pulled it up and we both closely observed it. Dustins find was gorgeous! A complete, fusion crusted 10 grammer.

Dustins find did two things for me- 1. It motivated me to get on the ball and find my first California meteorite. And 2. After closely observing it, I realized just walking around and tapping dark rocks was to time consuming. So I had to figure out a way to narrow down my search. I decided to focus on poking dark rocks that meet three charactistics- It must have the shape, color, and texture of meteorites I have found in the past.

After closely observing Dustins beautiful find, I thought to myself "now it's my turn!" and I headed out aggressively searching. This time however, I focused on poking rocks that met the three characteristics I mention above. I figured this was a good way to narrow down my searching efforts. The sun was getting close to the horizon and I knew it was close to leaving time. Dustin had already reached his car and he was grabbing something out of his trunk. I was close enough to catch eye contact with him and he gave me the "time to go nod". I started walking towards his car still tapping rocks on the way. I came across this little black rock that fit all three of the characteristics I mentioned. I put my cane down close to it and SNAP..... up came something. I pulled up my cane and attached to the magnet was a beautiful, complete, fusion crusted 2.5 gram meteorite. Success!! :woohoo:

FINALLY MY FIRST CALIFORNIA AND DRY LAKE BED METEORITE!!! It's small on weight but a huge milestone for me!

Del

post-890-1200892870_thumb.jpg

post-890-1200892898_thumb.jpg

And here's Dustin Stobers find for the day. A gorgeous, complete, fusion crusted 10 grammer. Congratulations again Dustin!

Dustin's been meteorite hunting for about a month now and he has done exceptionally well! So far he's found four meteorites on two different dry lake beds and he doesn't use a metal detector.... YET! Don't worry guys I'll get him hooked! :laught16: I suggested to him to sign up on this forum so he can also meet some of the great people I've met here. So I will leave it up to him for an introduction, hopefully he will sign up soon.

I expect we'll hear a lot about Dustin Stober in the future guys because he's been rippin it up already on the dry lake beds!

Del

post-890-1200893210_thumb.jpg

post-890-1200893228_thumb.jpg

Hey Del,

Love your story and pictures! I'm glad that my Videos did exactly what I intended them to do- teach... Congrats to Dustin too.

The story was so good I'd be glad post it on my website with your pictures so that everyone can refer back to it at anytime. It is a great testimony to perseverance!!

Let me know...

Thanks for the comments guys!

Ruben, sure you can post this on your website. Let me revise it a little bit and make it more cohesive. I also want to take another sky pic because the one I took is a little out of focus.

Mike, I thought about what you and I were talking about around the campfire the last time we camped out at Franconia. I kept thinking to myself "hit the open lake bed because they're there". It worked!

Now I have to get back out there and find more!

Del

Well it looks like we have another newbie who is on the warpath for them space rocks! I would hate to think what would happen if Dustin and Erik got together. Two young guys out on the prowl! :mm: Now that would be worth watching. :cool04:

Congratulations Del on your first Cali find. Now you have to get Dustin involved in metal detecting so he can see another side of this hobby, it should open up a whole new world for him.

Can hardly wait for my Goldmax coil to get back to me so I can get out hunting with it at "our" spot. Will let you know when I am ready to go out to Franconia so hopefully we can hunt together once again. If not, our agreement still stands and I will check out another spot I saw while we were out there during our last trip that looked VERY promising.

Once again congrats!

Aloha to you both,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hey Del,

The story is fine as it is, but if you'd like to change it first go ahead. Just email it with the pictures labeled so I get it right.

Ruben

Will do Ruben!

Del

Wow this topic is getting a lot of views. Thanks guys I appreciate the support and encouragement from all of you!

Hey Ruben, I'm gonna get that to you sometime tomorrow, I got a little tied up tonight. It might take me little bit longer to get you the sky pic since there's no sun out here in Cali right now.

Del