Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia Jan 12-13

Saturday morning in the field at sunrise was a crisp 36 degrees but, by eleven o'clock we we're in shirtsleeves hunting for new finds. We went to the same part of the field where my son Erik had made his two largest finds on our previous trip, hoping to find something big enough for a doorstop or at least a paperweight. Well, we weren't skunked but, we found precious little. Sunday was much better. We moved to a different part of the field and started making finds. This area showed a lot of old scuffs and dig-holes. Working wasn't as easy as the day before as there was a steady all-day 45 MPH wind to deal with. I managed to eke out four dinky stones weighing 0.8, 1.7, 8.9, and 13.4 grams. I also found 19 irons ( Sacramento Wash 005) totaling 8.3 grams, with the largest one weighing 2 grams. At least two of them have chondritic material attached. Erik really had the magic touch, finding eight stones weighing 5.5, 10, 12.4, 13.4, 20.2, 20.7, 26.9, and 36.6 grams for a total of 147 grams.. He also got 3.2 grams worth of irons. It's good to get out and hunt again.

Ben

IMG_0260.jpg

Ben's total

P1140053.jpg

Erik's total

IMG_0287.jpg

Ben's nice chondrite

P1130026.jpg

water break

Hi Ben & Erik

Nice finds you guys. Bet that 45 mph wind really kicked your butt out there. Missed Erik's post on the toothbrush. I wonder who has found it now. Maybe somebody will tell us if our 005's are worth $60 a gram now. :laught16::laught16: Good hunt!

Wayne

Glad to hear you guys finally found the time to make it out there Ben. Congrats on the finds!

Am I the only person here who can't see the pics?

Del

Del, got no problems here. :winking0023:

I especially like the pic of the goldmax coil. Six inches down eh! Havn't heard from Whites yet but I can wait. Funny that you should mention finding irons with chondritic material attached cause i see from another forum "expert" that these are non-existent. I guess all the specimens I have in my Bayer aspirin bottle must be a figment of my imagination. Hope he has a sense of humour! :innocent0009:

Great seeing that you guys are out and about once again. Looks like we will be seeing more pics soon if Erik stays true to form.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi :banged:

Ben and Stan,

:whoopie:

Those are some really neat finds, you two never cease to amaze me with your hunting skills. If you can keep Erik's mind on meteorites,(I heard why he missed the Gold Basin hunt) he is going to become a premier meteorite hunter that would probably do well as a globe trotter. Just keep him away from John B. and Oman.

Great pictures as always.

Stan,

You misunderstood a post over on the other thread about the irons with chondritic material attached.

It was a very good question and is in no way stating that the irons or irons with material attached do not exist I answered the question over on the classification thread.

Get that coil back and get out in the field, your getting a little cranky :laught16:

Jim

I had a date with a Pom girl,

cheerleader vs. camping.

couldn't resist. :brows:

I went kinda fast on the last trip, I should have slowed down to get

alot of burried signals but I did find alot of good find.

When im in those white fluff areas I just crank my threshold down to between 2 and 3.

It gives me sooo much depth. Same with under bushes. That 180 gramer screamed when the edge of my coil was within 2 inches of the spot it was burried.

Even that 5.5g stone screamed like a nail when I swung over it and i was moving pretty fast.

The settings kind of drive people crazy because it sound like there are signals everywhere and every rock is hot but you just ignor all that till you hear the scream.

Well i hope to actually see some of you guys soon!

[Erik]

You misunderstood a post over on the other thread about the irons with chondritic material attached.

It was a very good question and is in no way stating that the irons or irons with material attached do not exist I answered the question over on the classification thread.

Get that coil back and get out in the field, your getting a little cranky :laught16:

Jim

The post i was referring to was from another forum. I know that they exist because I have several of them in a Bayer aspirin bottle being kept seperate from the other irons I own.

As for me being cranky: You got it bud! :PO2: I need to get out of Vegas for a day or two. :escape: It is starting to get on my nerves. Or could it be the darn COLD? :sick0026: Geez my Hawaiian blood is starting to get sluggish. I may need a couple of shots of Patron to keep me going this week because I just saw the weather report. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Aloha from one COLD Hawaiian,

Stan aka Ka'imi :banged: