Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi Guys,

I'm just another new guy that doesn't know Jack Schitt. Just received my(new to me) mint 3500. I have been trying to catch up on the learning curve by studying posts in the archives of the major forums. I ran across this thread titled "Excerpts from Jim Fosters' Article" on page 89 of the Nugget hunting forum. The last paragraph states "IT HAS BECOME COMMON KNOWLEDGE THERE IS A LIMITING FACTOR TO THE DEPTH PENETRATION OF MONOLOOP COILS ON HIGHLY MINERALIZED GROUND, ESPECIALLY ON VERY DEEP NUGGETS...WE KNOW THAT THERE ARE USUALL TWO DISTINCT AND SEPARATE LAYERS OF GROUND MINERALIZATION...FIRST LAYER IS ON SURFACE AND IS THE LAYER YOU SCRAPE AWAY WITH YOUR FOOT...BY DISTURBING THIS LAYER YOU ALLOW YOUR COIL'S FIELD TO PASS THROUGH MORE EASILY AND YOU USUALLY HEAR A CLEARER AND LOUDER TARGET RESPONSE...BUT WHAT LIES BELOW THIS LEVEL MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE...(MY WORDS HERE- UNDER THE SURFACE LAYER THERE MAY WELL BE A BOTTOM LAYER, CAPROCK OR CALICHE (?)0 ...IN THIS CASE THE CONTACT ZONE BETWEEN THE SURFACE AND BOTTOM LIES ANOTHER LAYER OF MINERALIZATION AND WHEN A MONOLOOP COMES INTO CONTACT WITH THIS HEAVY LAYER OF MINERALIZATION, IT IS OFTEN DEFLECTED TO THE SIDE AND FAIL TO PENETRATE FURTHER...USER IS UNDER FALSE IMPRESSION THERE IS NO TARGETS BENEATH THE COIL....IT IS BENEATH THIS SECOND LAYER OF HIGH MINERALIZATION THAT MOST OF THE LARGER NUGGETS ARE FOUND...IT IS SURPRISING HOW SHALLOW MANY OF THESE NUGGETS ARE BEING FOUND...BY UTILIZING THE MORE POWERFUL FIELD OF A DD COI, AND EVEN MORE SO WITH A PRO DD COIL, THIS BARRIERCAN BE OVERCOME."

I have read a lot about mono's being to noisy in mineralized ground but have never seen further mention of this deflection mentioned. Could this be affecting all those Gp 4000 users that run only mono coils exclusively due to the quietness of the machines? If I am just being Jack's brother, Dumb Schitt, I apologize but I thought this topic could be of interest to some.

goldbrick